NAD Master Series M17 processor & M27 power amplifier – personal review

felty99

Thanks Ricky. I did try to convince them that not allowing home demos was a bit daft, and they have gone away to think about it! Their argument was basically one of 'well if it sounds good in the demo room, then it will sound even better at home'

RickyDeg

^ If they wanna sell high-end kit home-demos is a must. No way around it. Their response to you makes little sense and if they've been around a while I'd like to think they know that.

Another option is to sell brand new kit with the option of 100% full investment return in case you don't like it, no questions asked. Maybe they offer that already...?

Anyhow - best of luck with this! Hope it works out!!!

RickyDeg

This thread is virtually dead, but here goes...

4K UHD and Atmos/DTS-X modules are due for the M17 processor! YAY! :clap: What the document below doesn't reveal is the inclusion of BluOS for music streaming likely included on the VM 300 module. Finally.

NAD_MDC.jpg

felty99

Good spot, thanks Ricky.

I think NAD need to consider their distribution network in the UK. Sevenoaks failed to supply a unit for home evaluation, so I eventually settled on a Classe Sigma after an extended loan. I can't see how NAD expect to sell many units, at least in the UK, if the dealer network they've chosen aren't enthusiastic and willing to help customers.

I really hope NAD see this so they can re-evaluate their strategy and dealer network, as they lost a potential customer, and don't see them shifting many units in any given year seeing how niche the product is. A real shame, as they have a killer product yet they could do so much better

RickyDeg

Good spot, thanks Ricky.

I think NAD need to consider their distribution network in the UK. Sevenoaks failed to supply a unit for home evaluation, so I eventually settled on a Classe Sigma after an extended loan. I can't see how NAD expect to sell many units, at least in the UK, if the dealer network they've chosen aren't enthusiastic and willing to help customers.

I really hope NAD see this so they can re-evaluate their strategy and dealer network, as they lost a potential customer, and don't see them shifting many units in any given year seeing how niche the product is. A real shame, as they have a killer product yet they could do so much better

Hey you! Long time! Thanks for reading and dropping a line! :smashin:

Wholeheartedly agree with everything you said. THEIR LOSS, frankly, as one happy customer can easily spawn another, and another and so on. Bad strategy all-round. How they expect to sell niche products if they won't supply units for home evaluation? Completely the wrong way to go about it if you ask me. The single dealer chain for NAD here in Sweden where I live have the opposite approach, and they sell more as a result. Not just NAD, but other surrounding products due to their flexible approach. But... it's a weird business.

Sure hope NAD will re-evaluate for future customers in the UK!

I am still most happy with my NAD M17 and M27. Stellar performance and day-to-day operation every time I turn em on. Funny thing is I keep feeling more and more impressed by them as time goes by. It's odd. Looking forward mostly to the module with BluOS so I can start streaming high-quality Tidal directly into the processor!! Too bad NAD takes a bit long to update these modules, but then again - some brands don't even offer something like this to begin with. Like Classé, for example. Wish they did though, as they are top-of-the-line for sure.

Hope you enjoying every minute spent with the Sigma! You matched it with Naim amps then? Must sound sublime with those PMC's? WOW! Wish I could pop by for a demo!

ggwoodland

Ricky,

Interesting spot. I have NAD Power Amps (M25 and C270) and I am considering upgrading to an ATMOS/DTS-X pre-amp (I have a Marantz AV8801 at the moment). Do you know if you bought one of these new (circa £4k in the UK) these modules would be included or would be they optional extras. Appreciate with the discussion above re distributors it may be different in Sweden than the UK. It would be certainly be great to include NAD as a potential candidate as I'm happy with the Power Amps.

George

RickyDeg

Ricky,

Interesting spot. I have NAD Power Amps (M25 and C270) and I am considering upgrading to an ATMOS/DTS-X pre-amp (I have a Marantz AV8801 at the moment). Do you know if you bought one of these new (circa £4k in the UK) these modules would be included or would be they optional extras. Appreciate with the discussion above re distributors it may be different in Sweden than the UK. It would be certainly be great to include NAD as a potential candidate as I'm happy with the Power Amps.

George

Thanks for stopping by! :smashin: Fantastic amps you've got! I have the follow-up M27!

Apparently newly produced units from this fall and onwards will include the 4K UHD module (VM 300) as standard, replacing the original one. No higher price due to that. However... NAD are apparently having corporate discussions about also implementing the Atmos/DTS-X module (AM 17) which may or may not increase the price of the M17. According to my contact at the dealership they are undecided as of yet because they want to bring the M17 up-to-date but prefer not to increase the price. Difficult this. By october (or thereabouts) I think we shall know for sure.

For us 'early owners' of the M17 the 4K UHD (VM 300) module will be a free hardware update, meaning I'll also get BluOS high-quality streaming as a plus (finally!).

I love how investing in a quality pre-amp/processor like this isn't made obsolete after a couple of years, but NAD actually follows through and updates the hardware. Yes, it takes them a while, but when they do something they tend to do it right. And the M17 is a marvellous unit!

felty99

Hey you! Long time! Thanks for reading and dropping a line! :smashin:

Wholeheartedly agree with everything you said. THEIR LOSS, frankly, as one happy customer can easily spawn another, and another and so on. Bad strategy all-round. How they expect to sell niche products if they won't supply units for home evaluation? Completely the wrong way to go about it if you ask me. The single dealer chain for NAD here in Sweden where I live have the opposite approach, and they sell more as a result. Not just NAD, but other surrounding products due to their flexible approach. But... it's a weird business.

Sure hope NAD will re-evaluate for future customers in the UK!

I am still most happy with my NAD M17 and M27. Stellar performance and day-to-day operation every time I turn em on. Funny thing is I keep feeling more and more impressed by them as time goes by. It's odd. Looking forward mostly to the module with BluOS so I can start streaming high-quality Tidal directly into the processor!! Too bad NAD takes a bit long to update these modules, but then again - some brands don't even offer something like this to begin with. Like Classé, for example. Wish they did though, as they are top-of-the-line for sure.

Hope you enjoying every minute spent with the Sigma! You matched it with Naim amps then? Must sound sublime with those PMC's? WOW! Wish I could pop by for a demo!

Glad you are still delighted with the NAD pre/power combo. The Canadian AV manufacturers seem to be coming up trumps lately, no doubt with their HiFi heritage helping develop some great products.

Classe do offer incremental upgrades, with a 4k/2.0 HDMI video board promised for a while possibly with an Atmos upgrade too. Not that I'm too fussed as I only use a 5.1 system and always route Video well away from AV products direct to the TV. Speaking of which, I notice you've upgraded to a 2016 LG OLED, which could well be next on my upgrade list.

I've also swapped the PMC twenty.24s for one of the last available pairs of 26s as they are being superseded by the twenty25 range. These have been a real step up and seem to get the most out of the Classe and Naim boxes.

RickyDeg

Glad you are still delighted with the NAD pre/power combo. The Canadian AV manufacturers seem to be coming up trumps lately, no doubt with their HiFi heritage helping develop some great products.

Classe do offer incremental upgrades, with a 4k/2.0 HDMI video board promised for a while possibly with an Atmos upgrade too. Not that I'm too fussed as I only use a 5.1 system and always route Video well away from AV products direct to the TV. Speaking of which, I notice you've upgraded to a 2016 LG OLED, which could well be next on my upgrade list.

I've also swapped the PMC twenty.24s for one of the last available pairs of 26s as they are being superseded by the twenty25 range. These have been a real step up and seem to get the most out of the Classe and Naim boxes.

Agree - Canadian AV manufacturers are having a period of trimph at the moment. Hope they keep it up! They seem to know a thing or two!

It's great that Classé does offer incremental upgrades. I was referring to the fact that they don't have a modular platform like NAD does. This means I can basically (in theory) switch modules myself if I wanted to, without the hassle of returning the unit to the dealer or manufacturer. A modular approach is by no means a guarantee for anything of course, but I'd rather have that option than not have it. Both NAD and Primare (two favorite brands of mine) embrace modular platforms and have released plenty of modules so the concept seems to work.

I'm like you however - I don't really care for 4K UHD video board or immersive audio since I too have a 'standard' 5.1 system. Isn't that the best anyway? hehe

Yes, I recently purchased a 55" B6 OLED and love it! Highly recommended! Only gripe I have with it is LG's motion handling which is bit subpar compared to my experience with Sony and Panasonic. Even my 7 year old Samsung LCD had more fluid motion handling than this OLED. But it's not a major problem, per sé.

BTW... speaking of PMC speakers... a bit sad to learn that the Twenty20-series are being replaced by the Twenty5. I'm keen on Twenty.23 and Twenty.C for a 5.0 set-up to replace my MA Apex system. Guess I need to hurry before they run out...?! Can you give me some detailed feedback on your experience of the Twenty.C center channel? Would love to hear about it! I would possibly combine it with Twenty.23 front and back, if any left.

sounddog

BTW... speaking of PMC speakers... a bit sad to learn that the Twenty20-series are being replaced by the Twenty5. I'm keen on Twenty.23 and Twenty.C for a 5.0 set-up to replace my MA Apex system. Guess I need to hurry before they run out...?! Can you give me some detailed feedback on your experience of the Twenty.C center channel? Would love to hear about it! I would possibly combine it with Twenty.23 front and back, if any left.
Are you sure the Twenty series are being discontinued? It was my understanding that (at least for the immediate future) PMC's intention was to run the Twenty and Twenty-Five series side by side.

RickyDeg

Are you sure the Twenty series are being discontinued? It was my understanding that (at least for the immediate future) PMC's intention was to run the Twenty and Twenty-Five series side by side.

Trying to get this confirmed as we speak ;) Would seem like Twenty-series are being replaced though, as many dealers have them on sale now.

Bit off-topic on my own thread...:p sorry lol

felty99

Discontinued I think except in Black. Mine are in Oak.

RickyDeg

sounddog

Ricky ... I'm curious if you know where the Atmos board will be mounted in the M17? Replacing the component / composite video board perhaps?

RickyDeg

Ricky ... I'm curious if you know where the Atmos board will be mounted in the M17? Replacing the component / composite video board perhaps?

Apparently the digital input/output board will be replaced with the AM 17 Atmos/DTS-X board. It will still contain digital input/outputs, but fewer in numbers to make room for 4 additional analogue outputs for immersive audio.

AM_17.jpg

(no decent photo of the AM 17 module yet, but as you can see there are 4 phono outputs on the left side and digital input/outputs the the right.

AM_17_MDC_module.jpg

felty99

Perhaps re-post to the PMC thread and I will reply to you there about the 20.C

RickyDeg

Perhaps re-post to the PMC thread and I will reply to you there about the 20.C

Or better yet - send me a PM :smashin: (if you have the time!) ;)

RickyDeg

For those potential few who care about the NAD M17 I can confirm that I just heard from the horse's mouth that the up-coming module AM17 will include not only immersive audio but also DIRAC LIVE!

VERY exciting times ahead as NAD moves away from antiquated Audyssey in favor of DIRAC!

35cga3t.png

xsnv

Very interesting. Do you happen to happen to know when it will be released?

RickyDeg

Very interesting. Do you happen to happen to know when it will be released?

My dealer is already taking pre-orders for this module but because it's NAD we're talking about delays are to be expected. "Sometime in November" was the original schedule, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if we don't see the module until after New Years.

NAD is also upgrading all forthcoming M17 processors with the two new modules (4K UHD and immerseive audio/Dirac). Future units will have these pre-installed... sort of an M17.2 version, but every current model can be upgraded as well. New firmware to accompany the upgrades.

xsnv

My dealer is already taking pre-orders for this module but because it's NAD we're talking about delays are to be expected. "Sometime in November" was the original schedule, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if we don't see the module until after New Years.

NAD is also upgrading all forthcoming M17 processors with the two new modules (4K UHD and immerseive audio/Dirac). So future units will have these pre-installed... sort of an M17.2 version.

Thanks. I'll keep an eye out.

RickyDeg

Thanks. I'll keep an eye out.

Is DIRAC LIVE working well for you with the XMC-1 or have you not been using it?

I'm actually very pleased with my sound without any EQ whatsoever (after having been a devoted Audyssey fanboy) but will be interested nonetheless to see if DIRAC can even out some room-mode issues which I can't combat with treatment panels.

ggwoodland

Ricky - I've been following your posts on the US forums with interest on the M17. This is probably more a UK question - but if someone bought a NAD M17 now do you know if the 4k & ATMOS DIRAC modules would be chargeable extras, from memory I thought the 4k card would be free. I presume I would take the M17 to a dealer for the upgrade. I am only asking as with the low pound everybody expects prices to rise. But it would be good to see how good the NAD implementation of DIRAC is before taking the plunge.

George

sounddog

This is probably more a UK question - but if someone bought a NAD M17 now do you know if the 4k & ATMOS DIRAC modules would be chargeable extras, from memory I thought the 4k card would be free.
I think the best people to ask that of would be Sevenoaks as NAD's UK importer. Only they will give you an answer which has any validity.

As I recall, when it was launched the M17 came with a offer of the 4k module for free; now I don't know if that offer is still being made but NAD/Sevenoaks would have to honour that offer if you have one purchased at the time it was made.

xsnv

Is DIRAC LIVE working well for you with the XMC-1 or have you not been using it?

I'm actually very pleased with my sound without any EQ whatsoever (after having been a devoted Audyssey fanboy) but will be interested nonetheless to see if DIRAC can even out some room-mode issues which I can't combat with treatment panels.

It works really well actually. I'm putting together another system hence my interest in the M17.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Samsung teases 76-inch MicroLED TV plus flagship Q950A soundbar
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Amazon Music fully available on Android TV and Google TV platforms
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony announces A90J UK/EU price and March availability
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 27th February 2021