1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NAD & KEF XQ or QUAD L series

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by chantrys, Apr 11, 2005.

1. chantrys

chantrys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some speakers to provide me with better 2-channel stereo performance that can also replace the current front speakers in my home theatre setup.

I'm running KEF KHT 2005 eggs with a KEF PSW 2010 sub through a NAD T762 amp and NAD T562 DVD/CD.

I've auditioned the XQ1's and XQ5's and whilst they were great for classical/choir and accoustic music, I was slightly less convinced about their ability to handle rock & pop music (sounded a bit muddy/muffled - is this as a result of the NAD or the speakers). So I'm wondering whether my current system is capable of running the QUAD L series and if so, which ones would be a good basis for stereo speakers and part of a surround package?

Many thanks,

2. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    The Kefs are very good speakers, the Quads would be a similar sound, and be more transparent, but I think with the sound type you are after, I'd perhaps look at Monitor Audios Gold Reference or Silver series speakers.

I love my Quads to bits, and they handle rock fine, but they do other genres of music better, have you had a chance to find these in any stores to have a listen yet?

3. wannabeav

wannabeav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The other consideration is how they blend with the surround setup. Will you keep the egg centre or look to change that too? Don't have the answer to this, but it might be worth considering if you're planning on keeping the centre a while longer. I have the 11L's as stereo on system 1 and fronts on an av system, the only trouble now is the Quads show the others up and I need to upgrade the centre (which I guess could be the same with the Monitor Audio?)

4. chantrys

chantrys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I am going to audition the quads on Saturday morning. I am planning to change the centre channel as well but am a little worried that the KEF eggs as surrounds might not blend in to well with the quad fronts and centre?

Also, what size room would you need to make the most of the 21L or 22L?

Many thanks,

5. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +541
    I believe it will be your amp / dvd player.

I tried the xq5 through my Arcam FMJ A32 and the sound was amazing in the mid and upper ranges, however the bass (and the dynamics) did seem to a little slow.

However I also tried them though the Arcam Diva 90 (a cheaper amp) and they sounded amazing.

The only thing i can draw from this and your comments is that the xq5's are really picky with their partners.

I would also like to add that I really didn't like the closed in sound of the Quads (11L and 22L) or MA (silver & gold referrence) speakers. I have also tried a pair of B&W 704 & 705. Out all the speakers be first choice would be the XQ5's

I still want to try the XQ3's with a sub and maybe some PMC's (if i can find a dealer), before i give my hard earned cash over.

If you find the answer, let me know.

6. chantrys

chantrys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Ok, I've now auditioned the 11L, 12L and 22L (shop doesn't stock the 21L) and I must say that I was very impressed with both the 11L and 22L.

I think my preference is the 22L to cover both stereo music and HC but I have one lingering doubt. The shop was running them through Bryston Amps and a Meridian CD player, which is far far superior to my NAD T762 and T562 set-up, and I'm worried that my NAD system won't be up to scratch.

Can anyone give me any advice on this, as the Kef XQ5's that I listened to first (which I thought sounded a bit muddy/uncontrolled with certain types of music) were being demo'd through NAD equipment, so now I'm wondering if it's my equipment that makes decent speakers sound poor. Will I get the same result trying to run the quads?

7. rOAdeh

rOAdeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    It's a bit unfair to try and compare speakers with such massive differences in amplification. And i can only assume that those differences were due to you being in different shops for each which means you also have the added effect of different rooms on both your demos. If possible see if you can get a home-demo with both and then compare them at your leisure or at least find a shop that has both in stock so you can use the same amps and room!