1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NAD CD Player Connection help

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by midwinter, Sep 24, 2003.

1. midwinter

midwinter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey folks im new to this forum but by the looks of things you folks know your stuff and perhaps could help me with something I'm not sure of.

I was wondering what kind of connection is best for connecting my NAD C521BEE CD PLAYER to my Marrantz SR5300 AV Reciever. Should I use a Digital Coax cable or a high quality 2 phonos cable.

I understand that if I use the digital cable it will use the DAC in the reciever which is something called "192/24-bit D/A Conversion All channels, Crystal DAC " not quite sure what that means and the one in the Cd player is a "Burr-Brown Sigma-Delta 20 bit D>A Converter".

Any help or explanation would be much appreciated.

2. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi mate,

I've just bought a NAD C521BEE player myself and have a Yamaha AV receiver. It's got coax input as well, but I've gone the analogue route, as the DAC in the CD player should be far better than the one in the AV receiver.

Don't forget, one of the things that more expensive CD players come with are better DACs, so always go down the analogue route with anything that's about £130 upwards in cost, as the DACs should be much better than those in a budget AV receiever.

Hope this helps,
    Neil

3. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    And don't forget to switch your amp to direct mode otherwise your amp will process the analogue signal sent by the cdp.

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Easiest way to decide is to try both methods.....you may well find that the DACs in your CD player sound better then those in the receiver,but the only way to find out is to give both a go.
    Make sure to use adequate quality leads for both if you are going to try.

5. tbibic

tbibic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have this CD player going into a Marantz 5200 through analogue cables (haven't tried digital because the difference when I tried the same thing through my Sony 725 DVD player was massively in favour of the analogue route).

I would recommend that you try the source direct option and compare against the processed route. For me personally, I couldn't get as sweet a sound as when I adjusted the bass and treble to my personal tastes.

6. arcamalpha

arcamalpha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Midwinter, imo I think electrical, or coaxial whatever you wish to call it wins hands down.
    Using phono leads between your cd player and receiver means the signal has to be changed from digital at your cd player end to analogue at your receiver end.
    What using phono leads as opposed to electrical leads does imo is compromise the quality.
    Bill