1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nad cd player and Stereo Amp

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Jimmysil, Mar 22, 2003.

1. Jimmysil

Jimmysil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

After some heavy thinking and some very helpful information from forum members, I have decided to get a stereo amp and new cd player to get improved music performance over my current system.

I am considering the NAD 541i CD player and NAD C320BEE Amp.

Has anyone heard these ?

What Hi-Fi seem to rave about this amp and cd, but I always take their reviews with a pinch of salt.

Of course at somepoint I may demo for my self, but I was just interested to hear peoples comments.

The Rotel RA-01 and Rotel RCD-02 have also been suggested to me by forum members. Any comments about these.

Best Regards

Jimmysil

2. Buckster

Buckster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +363
    JimmySil,

Can't help too much, but this week I bought a NAD C350 from Richersounds - I've been very happy with it - they're doing it at Richersounds for 229 which is a very good price.

Can't help with the CD-player though.

Mark.

3. Jimmysil

Jimmysil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mark

Thanks for the info.

I will bear that in mind.

Cheers

Jimmysil

4. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    We had a NAD C521i CD player and were very happy with it ... also had a NAD C320 amp also happy with it ... good detail and control from the amp and worked well with B&W 602s2 which can be difficult to drive.

Vikki

5. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    I own the RA-01, and although I dont own the RCD-02, I have heard it with the RCD-02. Basically, the combo is very "alive sounding", thundering through the music with excellent control, speed and timing, with crystal clear treble, and excellent bass. Certainly gets the foot tapping, and would be a very good choice as a system that first and foremost plays MUSIC, and not just a collection of sounds, as it is with some other systems I've heard.

Works well with a variety of speakers too, including some that are regarded as difficult to drive, such as B&W DM602S3's, which it drove to very loud volumes, and without breaking into a sweat, so dont read too much into its modest 40 watt rating - this amplifier will go plenty loud enough unless you really dislike your neighbours :D

I have heard the RA-01 / RCD-02 combo with KEF Q1, B&W 602S3, Mission M51 and Quad 11L's. To me, deciding between the Q1, M51 and 602S3 is simply a matter of preference, but I personally preferred the Missions. I've also heard the amp with a different source with Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 speakers, and it didnt sound bad with these either, but any of the Q1, M51 or B&Ws sounded much better to me. The Quad 11L's to my ears did not suit the amp at all, they seemed to zap the life out of the sound for me. Why this was I dont know, but perhaps they are not the best choice for hard hitting music. I have also heard that the RA-01 also works well with Monitor Audio Silver S1 speakers, and Dynaudio Audience 42 speakers.

I've heard a NAD C350 once, and I must say while it wasnt bad, I personally prefer the Rotel's liveliness over the 350. To my ears, the NAD was possibly more hifi, the Rotel more music. This is not to say the NAD is a bad system, far from it, but that was how it came across to me.

So, IMO try and line up a demo of both an all NAD system, and an all Rotel system, and decide for yourself which one you prefer, after all, I prefer the Rotel, but you may not...

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Just to say, that if you did consider a Rotel amp/cd player, then perhaps look at the RA-02 instead, which is the same amp as the RA-01, but also with a remote. However, the price is quite steep, at £100 extra, considering it offers no extra sound quality, but the convenience of a remote may be a good thing to have even so. Really depends whether you can justify the extra £100.

6. Jimmysil

Jimmysil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Vikki and Paul

Thanks for the info, I will try and get a demo of the two setups.

Regards

Jimmysil

7. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Forgot to say in previous post ... we listened to the RA-02 (with a C521i) and compared it to the NAD C370 ... the RA-02 was a lot brighter and livelier which suited our tastes.

I think both the RA-01 / RCD-02 and NAD C320 / C521i combinations are good ... which is better I feel is as much down to personal taste than anything else. (If you like the NAD, try the 521i as well as the 541i as they are very similar sounding - 541i does add HDCD though)

Vikki

8. aka

aka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I haven't try them both, but I read some reviews about 541i that they have a bad record on non responsive remote, skipped tracks and weak loading tray. I don't know if anybody in htis forum had tha same experience.

rgds,a-k

9. sr78

sr78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I love the 320BEE, best budget amp I've ever heard.

The 541i... didn't like it that much. Demoed it against the (more expensive) Arcam CD72 and it sounded a little tinny.

10. carter

carter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the NAD 521i and 320BEE and am happy - more so with the amp than the CD player - would spend a bit more on that if I had my time again

Use these with B&W 601S3 and is a great system for dance/hip-hop?R&B - less so with rock I feel as somehow the midrange just isn't focused enough IMO, a little too dirty & wild for my liking.