1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nad cd led faulty help req

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by fender62, May 8, 2005.

1. fender62

fender62

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone ever had an led display fail but cd player still works what could be the fault im pretty good with a solder iron

2. GW43

GW43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +150
    I had a NAD 501 that would regularly blow the lamps in the display. They were mounted on a small circuit board behind the display. The board was easy to remove. By shining a torch through the display it was clear the display was still working. I got a small TV repair shop to replace the lamps - £12.50, then I flogged the CD player becuase it was going through more lamps than a christmas tree!

I'm not the only one to suffer with the NAD 501, they seem prone to this problem, and it seems other NAD CD players might be the same.

3. Beobloke

Beobloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I have repaired 2 x NAD 502's and a 5425 with exactly the same fault as you describe.

NAD use a thin LED display for these players and use 2 x 12V bulbs to backlight it - in all 3 of the units i repaired, these had blown. They are soldered in and replacement is about a 30 minute job - you have to take out the main PCB to access the underside of it, as the bulbs are covered with a plastic cover that is screwed on from underneath.

Adam.

4. fender62

fender62

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    but why do they seem to blow in these units after a while, what can be done to stop it

5. GandalfUK449

GandalfUK449
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just replaced them in a 501. It appears they have used 12v (in series) on a 24v board :nono:. If one bulb blows it will take the other with it. I have found 24v bulbs to replace them :smashin:, but have only just done it, so no idea how long it will last :rolleyes:. Time will tell and I will let you know.
    Gandalf.