1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NAD C521 BEE or CA Azur 540C

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by PikPik Carrot, Apr 28, 2005.

1. PikPik Carrot

PikPik Carrot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I looking at getting ether the Nad c521 bee or the Cambridge audio azur 540c.From the reviews i have read the NAD seems to be the better player, i have also read buyer/user reviews and they said the nads sound both treble and bass.On the Cambridge audio someone said and i quote ' As it played in, the sound became grotesque, with a painfully metallic, aggressive top, a sucked-out midrange, and an unnaturally over-present bass '

Anyone got ether of these to voice there opion.

I will say im in favour of the nad so far.

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,150
    That review of the Cambridge is one random person on a user group forum. Magazine reviews of both players seems to have it a bit closer than that.

3. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    but then again, magazine reviews can be very inaccurate.

I would try them out - you should be able to demo these at Richer Sounds.

4. Beobloke

Beobloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    What equipment will you be using the player with?

Having heard them both, the Cambridge is more forward and lively sounding whereas the NAD is a bit smoother and more laid back, so it might depend on your partnering equipment as to which one works best for you.

5. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Haven't tried the CA, but I've got the NAD C521BEE and find it excellent. A nice warm, detailed sound, without being too bright. Sounds pretty lively to me as well!

6. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I bought an cambridge audio amp on the basis of good reviews. It was crap. I think there big advertising budget may influence a few reviews.

Go for the Nad.

7. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also had a Cambridge Audio Azur 540D which to be honest was nowhere near as good as the reviews raved. It had to go back too, as it wouldnt play subtitles.

There was a lack of support too when I tried to contact Cambridge Audio.

8. PikPik Carrot

PikPik Carrot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    equipment that i will be running it with... Cyrus One Amp,Sony MDS-JB930, Speakers are home build floor standers(they do sound nice though) Cambridge Audio Atlantic interconnectors,Gale XL 189 Speaker wire and gale 4mm gold plated banana plugs..

I listen mainly to garage and hiphop.Audio needs to sound really nice and have good bass aswell.

When it the hairdressers i was looking at the back of what hifi mag (think it was what hifi) and both players have been giving 5 stars. My dad had a look in richer sounds and he said the nad had a plastic front, thats kinda put me off a bit.Although i think i would need to have a look at it myself.

I know the Azur 640c has been giving alot of awards and hi praise's so i wondering would it be worth going to £250 and getting that instead ?? or are there any other recommendations for no more than £250

9. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Mate dont touch this Cambridge Adio Cd player the NAD is better.

10. PikPik Carrot

PikPik Carrot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK... what about the 640C, i dont mind going to £250.I see it has alot of awards.. What hifi,hi-fi world,what hifi awards 2004 best cd player under ???(cant see the price,small print),hifi choice Best buy.Ive also read alot of user reviews and they are giving it high praise's.

The one main problem i have with the nad is the front is plastic, the 640C also seems to have more praise's.

Thanks for the help so far.

11. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Ive seen and heard the NAD mate it is not plastic. NAD is famous for either matt black or gun metal design amps and CD players. I would also look for Rotel CD players at that price and even the NADS big brother.
    I have bad experiences with Cambridge Audio amps and CD players, the only thing I have from them is a DAB radio tuner.
    As I said RS spend a lot on advertising in all of the trade mags and I think that prejudices the reviews.

12. D-man

D-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Shamless plug i know, but i've got a NADC521BEE for sale. I ran it through a cyrus2 & psx and quad 11's and it sounded really good.

I've upgraded to a DAD3Q24 so let let me know if your interested. Its mint condition (boxed/manual) and i'm looking for about £100 it.

13. PikPik Carrot

PikPik Carrot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @D-man.... thanks for the offer but im still undecided on what im going to be getting, i think i'll take a bit of gerbilly advice and have a look and some other players first.

14. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Pik thats a good offer from d man as you will have to pay around 260 for a rotel player and about 280-300 for the big bro of the NAD.

15. Ovation

Ovation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, just to stir the pot, I'll throw in my recommendation. I was down to the 521BEE and the 540C. A few people told me to consider the 540D as a cd player. I did a head to head between the 540C and 540D for several hours, including a good chunk of time with two commercial copies of the same CD. The interconnects, speakers, amps were identical. comparison was doable by pressing a button on the amp's remote. I did a blind test for the store owner (the price was identical for each one, so no agenda there) and he picked, much to his astonishment, the same thing I did--the 540D. Biggest difference? Subtle, but noticeably wider soundstage than the others (I've since compared it to several other players, including my more than twice as expensive hi-res universal player). I like the wider soundstage (even at the expense of the slightly fuller bass my receiver and universal player give me) so it's a question of taste.

Have had it for 10 months--use it extensively and haven't had any problems with it. Worth a listen.