NAD C375BEE vs. Yamaha A-S1000 vs. Marantz PM15S2 for Aurum 90

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Pretender, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Pretender

Pretender
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking for advise for replacing a NAD C372 (can't hold its power anymore and powers off).

I need to drive a pair Quadral Aurum 70
    AURUM Acoustics, Aesthetics

Need to upgrade the AMP. This is for a big open space room that is acoustically hard. The loudpeakers need 120W/Channel and have efficiency(dB/1W/1m) 87dB according to spec (8-Ohm single-amped)

What can you recommend (~1500 Euro top price)?

1) NAD C375BEE, straight upgrade should work fine since the C372 was OK
    2) Marantz PM 15S2, Local dealer tells me should have plenty of power for those speakers, haven't done the listen yet with the modern version of those spakers with the same power rating.
    3) Yamaha A-S1000 Other local dealer said this should actually have enough power to drive these, generally I like the Yamaha neutral sound for the variety of stuff I listen to and the price is very attractive if it has enough power

Historically I don't really like the Onkyo's and HKs. Loved my old Naim NAIT 10 years ago but not going to do it for these speakers and this room (and all my vinyl is hidden away from the kids)

I tried powering them with my AV Yamaha RX-V657, but at only 90-Watt-per-Channel it was very muddy in the mid-ranges, and made CD input sound like low-end MP3 and voices collapse into the music.

Mostly listen via Squeezebox-Touch (FLAC for the good stuff), use the RX-V657 as a pre-amp for movies (it powers the center and surrounds, with these loudspeakers I just cannot justify a sub, there is plenty of bass), send stereo (Squeezebox and CD) direct into the 2-channel unit today.

Music styles: super eclectic, Opera on Sunday Mornings, Dance/Club 80-contemporary on Tues,Thur Mornings, Evenings vary from Folk, Ethnic traditional from asia, to 70's prog album rock. Mid-day Jazz, classical, pop-instrumental. Random Pop Rock with a little of everything else in-between.

2. robertseymour

robertseymour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Something like the Denon PMA-2000AE or later PMA-2010AE/PMA-2020AE may well be worth a demo.
    I really like the look of the big Yamaha amps but never heard one.