Nad c370 issue pre amp ?

drumcat

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all . Just bought a c370 amp which has had some mods done ... 4 caps replaced .. all receipted from a proper repairer . This was done 2 years ago. Met the seller at a service station as didn't want to post . Good feedback and seemed genuine BUT something's not right . Everything works but the volume is low .. I can turn up to max and my speakers are handling it ( they are 12 " AR 11 s ) whereas if use my nad 7125 with 25 watts per channel as opposed to 120 watts per cha on the c370 the speakers are getting loud at only a quarter of the dial. Woofers moving etc. The 7125 has speaker ohm set to 4 .. there is no setting for the nad c370 ..I've gleaned it does it automatically?? ive tried all other inputs and combinations incl different pre outs / speaker outs and spoken to original mod / repairer who adviced might be the pre amp as there is volume but at low level.. it does get loud but at full I'd expect my speakers to blown up ?! ... any ideas what I could check ? I have a meter and soldering iron with limited experience ! I'm at the point of having to drive an hour and a half and knocking on the sellers door. Hes responded with a " it was working " although the remote I got with it had crusty batteries and def doesnt work ...

Have you tried hooking your other pre-amp directly to amplifier input? Obviously, that pre-amp needs to have regulated volume output.

Attachments

• 1489078-59c2fb60-nad-c370-integrated-amplifier.jpg
    1489078-59c2fb60-nad-c370-integrated-amplifier.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 1,263
This may be a daft thought but the NAD was always renowned for its soft clipping circuits.

You say the amp still goes loud but under normal circumstances it's clipping that makes you think it's too loud. I have to say in my experience of better amps than I can afford it's sometimes a surprise at how loud you're listening without it seeming too loud.

The soft clipping is switchable so it might be worth disabling it.

It's also worth mentioning the preamp and power amp are separate on the NAD and joined with physical links. Make sure they're clean and shiny. Maybe a clean with some find emery paper or at least pull them out and reinsert a few times to make sure the contact is good.

As @dobrykamil mentions of your other amps have preouts you could also remove the links and use the other amp as a preamp direct to the nads power amp inputs. Could help to isolate where the issue might be

Thanks for replys ... I don't have a pre amp but have an old mixer that will poss work. But good idea thanks and I will check the connections inside . It's certainly dusty in there... I'll update you later once home and tried the suggestions. Turning off clipping I've tried . Re the volume and better quality amps I understand what you mean but I just feel it needs to be pushing my speakers a lot more. .. i used to own a 16 track studio many years ago so feel i should know if the amp is ok or not but could be wrong !! Thanks again APPRECIATED ! .. I'll update as things evolve

Just to add I couldn't see a pre out on the back of the nad 7125 earlier today

Can't offer much help on what the issue is but I have a couple of C370s & have run them with 4ohm MA silver 8s & they go really loud, half way is room shaking & far too loud for me so something definitely not right.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom