1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NAD C320BEE Vs C/A Azur 540A?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by skinnyjohn, Dec 1, 2004.

1. skinnyjohn

skinnyjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone got any thoughts on deciding between the NAD C320BEE and the newer Cambridge Audio Azur 540A? I've had a look at both and read good things about the Azur, but thought it was a bit plastic-felling. The NAD seems more solid - would this be true?

I will be replacing a Rotel RA971 amp which has served me well, but I need an amp with a remote control

I will be using it with a Limit 9900SE DVD, 5 year old Denon CD player (model escapes me) and a Denon tuner which doesn't get much use. Mission M731 floorstanding speakers.

It will mainly be used when watching DVDs and listening to DAB radio (hence the need for a remote control).

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    Putting aside sonics for a bit, I'd argue in build quality terms it is the other way around. The Cambridge is all metal and uses some tricks like flush screws on the seperate top plate that make the NAD look a bit crude. Remotes are also night and day different, the latest Cambridge remotes would be nice on £1000 gear (we stole the tooling for the MS Genie SPL meter).

Sonically it is a matter of taste though. At a nod I prefer the Cambridge (A 640A is used on my office system with a CD6000KI) but the NAD is a fine sounding, detailed amp.
    ToF

3. Markie Boy

Markie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Perth, Western Australia (Originally Ireland)
    Ratings:
    +228
    I agree with tons of fun in that the Cambridge is the more solid of the two, even tho' I own NAD gear myself! However, I think the NAD wins in this showdown, its a bit more even when comparing the NAD with the 640A - for me price would be the deciding factor as to which way to go. In Australia for instance, the 320BEE retails for $499 while the 540A and 640A have price hikes up to Au$649 and Au$849 respectively! Methinks Cambridge are getting a little greedy in this part of the world (and the distributors!)