1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NAD C320BEE & C521BEE

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Noopz, Jul 17, 2004.

1. Noopz

Noopz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all, hifi newbie here

I've been wanting to buy separates for years now, so I just got my first amp and speakers, I bought a NAD C320BEE and some Mordaunt Short 902A speakers.

I play most of my music through my PC, inlcuding CDs- bad idea I know. At the moment the bass seems lacking and the sound is too bright when I play CDs... I guess this is because of the PC, yes?

Logic says to buy a CD player, and I was thinking about the NAD C521BEE which is supposed to be great for the money. Right, onto my questions:

1) Is the DAC in the C521BEE any good? (is there a huge diff between 20 and 24bit DACs?)

2) Am I going to get some decent bass out of this player with my setup?

3) I like the look of the NAD T533 DVD player.... would this be on par with the C521BEE for CD playback? Would be nice to kill two birds with one stone.

Any advice appreciated!

2. JackOTrades

JackOTrades
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Noopz,

A variety of different things can affect the sound of your setup, but I would say that you are right in your assumption that the DAC could be improved. Cables can also make a system sound brighter but I think a better cd player will bring you more audible benefit than any change of cable at this stage.

I don't personally know your speakers, but I assume you listened to them with your amp and they sounded good. The NAD amp is a fairly good amp, and the NAD cdplayer you suggest is a good match for it. The combo is a good sounding one, and I think you will be very happy with it if you go for it.

To answer your questions:
    1) The C521BEE is not a high end cd player but holds its own very well, its known to be good with timing and has a fair amount of detail. It is not warm, but, like I said, I think it pairs very well with your amp. But give a good listen before you buy it! Getting an external DAC to add to your cd transport on your PC is always going to cost you more money (I would only consider that if you really want to stick to listening by your computer and have very limited space)

2) Like I said, I don't really know your speakers, and the amount of bass you will get will be very tied to your speakers ability and size. your amp and cd should give you a decent amount of bass for what you're spending. NAD is not bass shy as a norm, if i remember correctly. Again, audition it first!

3) In my opinion, no. The dedicated CD player will sound much better with cds... but of course, it won't play dvds... so the question is how much worse is the T533 and how often will you use dvds and cds to make the sacrifice... only you can answer that, i'm afraid.

Hope it helped!
    Jack