Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Nad C272 paired with Kef Q7

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Roguey, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Roguey

Roguey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi, im wondering what an Nad C272 might be like paired with a pair of Kef Q7's. At the moment I have an 3805 powering them with a Kef Q9c and a Paragidm PW-2200 v1 subwoofer. Soon there will be a 7.1 system running on it, so either the 3805 would have to do all speakers or with a poweramp the 3805 would do the center and surround and then the poweramp will do the two Kef Q7's. So music performance is stronger.

I say an C272 as i can get one from net easy enough and its about the price i looking at. I ask kef about adding a power amp to the Q7's and they recommend it, just wondering if anyone else as done the same - noticed an increase or not.

speakers are setup as all small with an 80hz crossover with subwoofer.

Many thanks for your help and time

2. andyAV

andyAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Roguey

I think you'll notice a difference with the power amp. I had Q7s, Q9c and Qcompacts as my 5.0 (no sub) system from a Pio D2011 (bit like AX5 and Denon 3805) using the bi-amp feature for the Q7s. I put my Arcam 8 amp back into duty to power the Q7s and sound improved a bit for stereo. I've since gone to Rotel 1095 power amp and it made some further difference especially with bass. Recently I've just changed wiring from CableTalk3.1 Biwire to CAt5 and BIG changes in clarity and bass extension (I'll save that for another post elsewhere).

Therefore I reckon you'll notice a difference in sound - especially bass - with power amping if the 3805 is struggling a bit to drive all the speakers. Reading on the web it seems the Q7s are more power hungry than their specifications would suggest. However they do go deep - 37Hz ? IIRC and so I don't even bother with a sub - setting the spkr size to LARGE and crossover to as low as the amp will allow.

Be warned though - once you have a power amp you'll want to get a processor to upgrade the preamp stages of the 3805 and then you'll want a new CD player to make best use of the improvements and then .... :D

Andy

3. Roguey

Roguey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    thanks for the great information, acording to kef they will go down to 35Hz upto 27Khz. I can understand about the power usage as they look the same as the rest of the Q range without that big racetrack speaker.

4. Roguey

Roguey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    whats the C272 Nad amp like? whats ur comments about the amp?

[update] I have got the Nad amp now, and must say impressed with it. It has a lot more power. At first i was a little dispointed as £400 on it and it didnt seam so much different, however when i turned the power up it was compelety different in music, loads more bass where the denon which 'drop' out and the volumes go much higher without the sound going 'tin'ee'. I think combing the two (the 3805 with the C272) you get the best of both worlds - all the decodes, a very good pre-amp and some extra amps for surround sound speakers with an poweramp dealing with stereo sources which need extra power like music. :thumbsup: