Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

NAD 743 alternatives

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by tram-man, Apr 12, 2005.

1. tram-man

tram-man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I would be greatful for some advice on a new AV amplifier. One of my requirements which is making a decision difficult is that I need independant A, B speaker switching. To clarify I need 3 possibilities A only, B only and A+B. My current non-AV NAD (320) amp gives only A or A+B and to drive my remote speakers I've resorted to running a second non-AV amp.

What I'm looking for now is a new AV Amplifier/Receiver which will indepently drive remote speakers B (for my kitchen). It should be much smaller than my current 2 amp set up and ideally not much bigger than my non-AV NAD amp (+/- 10cm high). It should have a 5.1 and DTS decoder and I need to downmix the 6 channels into 2 front and 2 rear speakers. My priority is 2 channel music output. Radio quality and facilities are not important as I listen to UK radio through a Sky Digibox. My source equipment is CD, DVD, 2xSAT, Playstation, Ipod, PC. Conventional RCA inputs are OK, maybe 1or 2 optical inputs. Output can be quite modest 30RMS per channel is enough for my room. I would choose quality above power. No unnecessary flashing lights or sound processing gimmicks.

I have been looking at the NAD 743 but have been put off by some reports of faults/failures and the price is a bit over budget. Budget is between 200-300 pounds.

Would appreciate feedback from forum users running an AV-amp meeting above requirements.

Thanks, Stuart

2. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    Hi there,
    The best price I've seen on the NAD T743 is £350.

I have no idea of failures, but I own a T753 myself and am happy with it (only had it 2 or 3 weeks though.

Great quality piece of kit. ****Must buy from an authorised Dealer to get warranty**** (unless your retailer supply a guarantee with the item).

See nad's website for resellers