Question NAD 7130 vs Marantz PM4000 vs Cambridge A5

ManSuit

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

So I'm a turntable noob looking to get my setup together and would really appreciate some advice as I'm finding it very confusing navigating my way through this world.

I managed to get a ProJect Debut Carbon on ebay for a bargain price of 180. A friend was then kind enough to donate a pair of spare mission speakers. All that's left is for me to get my integrated amplifiers, some leads and get going.

Currently, I have the option to buy from these below (all used but allegedly in excellent working condition)

1) NAD 7130, £60
2) Marantz PM 4000 £50
3) Cambridge Audio A5 + CD player + speakers + leads £55 (although I would be buying just for the amp and having the leads included would be handy).

Am I correct in thinking all the above are integrated amps therefore I don't need a separate phono pre-amp? So basically I would plug my TT to the amp and then hook up the amp to the speakers and be good to go? Sorry for the very basic questions but I just want to be sure!

If yes to the above, it would be great if someone with more experience could guide me as to which of the above would be best for me. Thanks all :)

Hi all!

So I'm a turntable noob looking to get my setup together and would really appreciate some advice as I'm finding it very confusing navigating my way through this world.

I managed to get a ProJect Debut Carbon on ebay for a bargain price of 180. A friend was then kind enough to donate a pair of spare mission speakers. All that's left is for me to get my integrated amplifiers, some leads and get going.

Currently, I have the option to buy from these below (all used but allegedly in excellent working condition)

1) NAD 7130, £60
2) Marantz PM 4000 £50
3) Cambridge Audio A5 + CD player + speakers + leads £55 (although I would be buying just for the amp and having the leads included would be handy).

Am I correct in thinking all the above are integrated amps therefore I don't need a separate phono pre-amp? So basically I would plug my TT to the amp and then hook up the amp to the speakers and be good to go? Sorry for the very basic questions but I just want to be sure!

If yes to the above, it would be great if someone with more experience could guide me as to which of the above would be best for me. Thanks all :)

Being integrated amps means they have a pre amp and power amp in one box. That pre amp is different to a phono pre amp needed for a turntable.

A quick look on Google as the back of those amps shows the NAD and Marantz do have built in phono stages.

For the A5 I think this was an option, also there are two versions of that amp, I would double check with the seller.

Of the 3 I personally would be looking at the Marantz or Cambridge Audio A5 (if it has the built in phono stage) But this is just my personal tastes.

^Thanks for the heads up about the Cambridge amp. I was a bit confused as it is called an integrated amp but I guess that means it just contains a pre-amp and not necessarily a phono pre amp. I have asked the seller, if it has a phono input at the back, I will go with that.

Thanks again for your help :)

This is where I feel lost again - everytime I think I have something figured out, turns out there's a lot more to it!

Just to clarify - a phono stage implies there is a pre-amp, and a phono input means it receives an input from a phono pre-amp? I am really new to this, so get easily confused...

How can I tell the difference between the two just by looking at the back please?

Just because it says phono doesnt mean it has a phono stage / pre amp amp inside, that's what needs to be checked. A phono stage is the same as a phono pre amp, just different in name.

Phono (without phono pre amp inside) can be used for any line level device, cd player, tuner and so on, but for a turntable would need an external phono pre amp / stage.

If you see "phono MM / MC" or similar on the rear, that is pretty much a given that it has a phono pre amp inside. You will normally see a "ground" screw also.

7130 is a receiver so FM and maybe AM radio too. Lovely sounding amp with a very good phono stage but it's 30 year old or so. It may be past it's best...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom