Question Nad 356Bee & 685S2 bass lacking

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by handyroberts, Apr 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. handyroberts

handyroberts
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi I am not an audio expert as this question will no doubt show so any advice you folks have would be appreciated.
    I have recently bought a used Nad 356BEE and Arcam irdac to go with B&W 685 S2s. I should have demo'd the amp first but didn't and now I can't help but think it doesn't pump out enough bass when listing to music. I have a 2nd pair of 685s connected to a Marantz SR5009 amp and this seems to be much more low end heavy when I compare playing the same sources - but overall not as good as the Nad. I have done some reading on previous threads and I see two options: I add a sub (such one of the BKs maybe) or I get floor standers. Cash is tight at present and so it would mean feeling the 685s if I was doing this as I would want a decent floor standers so a sub probably seems the best route for now.
    But I can't help wondering (having seen a few user reviews online) that 356Bee is part of the problem here. I bought it after initially reading that Nad's go well with my speakers and usually nad's are good for electronic music, which makes up about 50% of my listening. But many people have said 356Bee lacks bass.

Any suggestions on what is best to try next?

Thanks

Andy

2. hifix

hifix
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,421
    Before spending more money and adding more boxes to fix the issue, detect what the issue is with what you have first. Adding a box to fix a problem doesn't remove the problem. It's like sticking some tape over a pipe with a leak.

My advice would be to get yourself into a dealer, take your system, and try alternatives to eradicate the problem. That is, presuming the problem isn't a set up one with regards to the room. Try setting your system up on another side of the room, even if just temporarily, to see if the same issues are apparent.

3. handyroberts

handyroberts
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks, yep I'll try moving the system into the same room as the Sr5009 to check the difference.

4. Don Dadda

Don Dadda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +719
    Definitely play with speaker positioning and also, are the links on the speaker binding posts, still in place as shown below?

685s2 spk links.jpg

5. handyroberts

handyroberts
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks. Yes they are still in place. BTW, I am using banana plugs could this be a factor?

6. Don Dadda

Don Dadda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +719
    Unless they are really really crap ones thats falls apart just by looking at them - No.

Banana plugs, spades, bare wire, it doesn't matter which as it doesn't affect sound quality. Plugs are more for ease of use or if unplugging and plugging to move speakers or kit more than the average.

7. handyroberts

handyroberts
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks, they weren't the most expensive but they hold together in my hand so hopefully I'll be ok there :) Thanks for you advice, much appreciated.