NAD 326bee - What speakers??

Serg042

Novice Member
P.S.
However, there is one very important aspect that is worth taking into account with studio monitors, i.e. their sweet spot. Simply put, with hi-fi speakers you have more freedom of movement without losing the character of the sound, while monitors force you to be somewhat static, so instead of bustling around the room, for example, you have to sit on the couch opposite the monitors.

English Invader

You might find Sevenoaks a bit more helpful than Richer Sounds as they distribute NAD products and will have a better understanding of what goes with them and what doesn't. If you were using a Cambridge Audio amplifier, I would recommend RS over Sevenoaks because CA is owned by RS and their dealers will have a better understanding of the Cambridge sound signature.

My system is comprised of both NAD and Cambridge electronics and I've dealt with both RS and Sevenoaks. I just did a quick google and you're fortunate enough to have a Sevenoaks store in Solihull as well:

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
P.S.
However, there is one very important aspect that is worth taking into account with studio monitors, i.e. their sweet spot. Simply put, with hi-fi speakers you have more freedom of movement without losing the character of the sound, while monitors force you to be somewhat static, so instead of bustling around the room, for example, you have to sit on the couch opposite the monitors.

This is a bit odd.

I found quite the opposite occurred.

Because of the nature of active speakers, that is their clarity, separation and bass control, I found that even in the next room they still sound like they are making discernible music and not just lumpy sounds.

I appreciate what you mean by the kitchen analogy, but for my taste in replay, the passive way, at least at the budget-ish end, just smears the flavours together.

But active speakers keep all flavours and textures as they should be.

Analogies are bloody hopeless when it comes to music replay though.

For my particular taste, I prefer the rock solid separation of instruments, and most especially the control, of active speakers.

The bass in particular is important to my mind. I really don’t like smudged or underdamped bass drivers, That tends to leak into the higher frequencies, blurring the instrument separation and making voices less personable.

And, especially because I live in a flat, I like the fact the the total control of the bass is still prominent at low volumes later at night. There is none of the loss of impact that frequently happens with passive speakers and amps.

It’s sometimes a question of taste too naturally. I’ve had lots (and still have one) passive speaker pairs that I’ve enjoyed. But pound for pound actives just do the job more clearly for me.

Having said all that, room correction has been the biggest eye opener for me and dwarfs the difference between even differently priced speakers, active or passive.

Serg042

Novice Member
This is a bit odd.

I found quite the opposite occurred.

Because of the nature of active speakers, that is their clarity, separation and bass control, I found that even in the next room they still sound like they are making discernible music and not just lumpy sounds.

I appreciate what you mean by the kitchen analogy, but for my taste in replay, the passive way, at least at the budget-ish end, just smears the flavours together.

But active speakers keep all flavours and textures as they should be.

Analogies are bloody hopeless when it comes to music replay though.

For my particular taste, I prefer the rock solid separation of instruments, and most especially the control, of active speakers.

The bass in particular is important to my mind. I really don’t like smudged or underdamped bass drivers, That tends to leak into the higher frequencies, blurring the instrument separation and making voices less personable.

And, especially because I live in a flat, I like the fact the the total control of the bass is still prominent at low volumes later at night. There is none of the loss of impact that frequently happens with passive speakers and amps.

It’s sometimes a question of taste too naturally. I’ve had lots (and still have one) passive speaker pairs that I’ve enjoyed. But pound for pound actives just do the job more clearly for me.

Having said all that, room correction has been the biggest eye opener for me and dwarfs the difference between even differently priced speakers, active or passive.
I think that for 100% certainty, before making the final choice, after listening to all the loudspeakers I consider, I will borrow Adams with the sub from the store for a demo and then I will make the final decision.
However, I must look for another sub (sub7 / sub8 from Adam, or maybe something from Yams), because this T10 has a speaker directed to the floor, so the neighbors downstairs may not appreciate it 😄

Last edited:

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
I think that for 100% certainty, before making the final choice, after listening to all the loudspeakers I consider, I will borrow Adams with the sub from the store for a demo and then I will make the final decision.
However, I must look for another sub (sub7 / sub8 from Adam, or maybe something from Yams), because this T10 has a speaker directed to the floor, so the neighbors downstairs might not be too happy 😄

My last sub was the same.

I had spare carpet glued to a paving slab on which I sat the sub. Almost invisible and it shields the downstairs room from the radiated bass and any vibrations.

Unusual perhaps, but I do like the look of down firing subs.

Serg042

Novice Member
My last sub was the same.

I had spare carpet glued to a paving slab on which I sat the sub. Almost invisible and it shields the downstairs room from the radiated bass and any vibrations.

Unusual perhaps, but I do like the look of down firing subs.
I will keep this solution in mind, it can be very helpful.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
I know it’s above your budget but you could consider selling the Nad and buying these.

A double win imo.

All the benefits of Dynaudios active expertise in a house friendly floorstander with a superb reputation.

Serg042

Novice Member
I know it’s above your budget but you could consider selling the Nad and buying these.

A double win imo.

All the benefits of Dynaudios active expertise in a house friendly floorstander with a superb reputation.

I've never heard of them, but I’ll definitely read more about. However, to get them, I really would have to sell my NAD, and I don't think I want to get rid of it ;)

So it happened that yesterday I spoke to a friend from the Netherlands who works in a studio equipment store and offered me very bargain prices that are in my budget (+ free courier at the company's expense :clap:), if I finally decide to get Adams.

As you mentioned that you had a lot to do with the various models of this company, I'd like to know your opinion on which combination should I go for then.

T5v + Sub8, T7v + Sub8, T8v (+ Sub?)? I am inclined to the Sub8, not the t10 you recommended, because according to the reviews they have more control over the bottom than, although the speaker is 2 inches smaller. Plus they are not pointing to the floor.

As I have only dealt with the T series in a friend's studio, I don't know these models very well, so I read a bit yesterday and watched the video reviews on the yt and in general I think the choice would be made between the t5 and t8, as the t7 seems to me as the least "enjoyable" from them for listening to music. But I can be wrong.

The T8s seem to have a solid bottom and big sound, but on the other hand I don't know if the t7v + Sub combination would give a bit more clarity in the sound? In these videos, they seem incredibly transparent and definitely not weak as for 5'.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
I've never heard of them, but I’ll definitely read more about. However, to get them, I really would have to sell my NAD, and I don't think I want to get rid of it ;)

So it happened that yesterday I spoke to a friend from the Netherlands who works in a studio equipment store and offered me very bargain prices that are in my budget (+ free courier at the company's expense :clap:), if I finally decide to get Adams.

As you mentioned that you had a lot to do with the various models of this company, I'd like to know your opinion on which combination should I go for then.

T5v + Sub8, T7v + Sub8, T8v (+ Sub?)? I am inclined to the Sub8, not the t10 you recommended, because according to the reviews they have more control over the bottom than, although the speaker is 2 inches smaller. Plus they are not pointing to the floor.

As I have only dealt with the T series in a friend's studio, I don't know these models very well, so I read a bit yesterday and watched the video reviews on the yt and in general I think the choice would be made between the t5 and t8, as the t7 seems to me as the least "enjoyable" from them for listening to music. But I can be wrong.

The T8s seem to have a solid bottom and big sound, but on the other hand I don't know if the t7v + Sub combination would give a bit more clarity in the sound? In these videos, they seem incredibly transparent and definitely not weak as for 5'.

Hmm...

I would not have said the 7s sound weak. And the 7s will have more low impact, but with a sub the 5s will lose nothing.

Also the 7s will go louder, but in a flat, or even a bigger room, the 5s are very loud themselves if necessary.

If you were just buying a stereo pair I’d say go for the T8Vs.

The extra weight of the 8 inch drivers will be very noticeable. And will deliver the bass in good hip hop extremely well.

But if you are buying the Sub 8 then there’s no need for the bigger speakers.

Also bear in mind that an 8 inch sub is limited in depth (although they’ll still go very low compared to stereo speakers) and they’ll struggle at, high volumes, to keep the below, say, 40Hz frequencies at near 0dB (relative to the rest).

But for normal domestic music listening the Sub 8 will do a good job. If you can squeeze a ten inch in though, it would be better in the sense that it will seem more effortless.

Either the 5s or 7s will suffice with a sub.

Personally I’d go for the 5s, as with a sub there’s no need to spend the extra on the 7s as you’ll not be using the extra bass from them, the sub will take over everything from 80Hz down.

Serg042

Novice Member
Hmm...

I would not have said the 7s sound weak. And the 7s will have more low impact, but with a sub the 5s will lose nothing.

Also the 7s will go louder, but in a flat, or even a bigger room, the 5s are very loud themselves if necessary.

If you were just buying a stereo pair I’d say go for the T8Vs.

The extra weight of the 8 inch drivers will be very noticeable. And will deliver the bass in good hip hop extremely well.

But if you are buying the Sub 8 then there’s no need for the bigger speakers.

Also bear in mind that an 8 inch sub is limited in depth (although they’ll still go very low compared to stereo speakers) and they’ll struggle at, high volumes, to keep the below, say, 40Hz frequencies at near 0dB (relative to the rest).

But for normal domestic music listening the Sub 8 will do a good job. If you can squeeze a ten inch in though, it would be better in the sense that it will seem more effortless.

Either the 5s or 7s will suffice with a sub.

Personally I’d go for the 5s, as with a sub there’s no need to spend the extra on the 7s as you’ll not be using the extra bass from them, the sub will take over everything from 80Hz down.
I think after listening to all the hifi speakers, I'll go to PMT or Fair Deal and test/borrow all three of the combinations. Sadly I had to postpone the listening sessions until the next week.

So then if t8v, there is no point to get a sub as well?

I am wondering about one more thing. How noticeably big is the difference between the t5v and the a5x?
I know that U-Art and X-art are different enough to make the price of monitors also significantly different, but does it generally make sense for me to pay a little more (still at a promotional price though) and take an a5x with a sub?

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
The A5X certainly do some wonderful high frequencies. So much so though, that I had to adjust the treble response down by 2dB above the x-over point.

Once I had done so they were very transparent with nothing harsh at all.

I didn’t have to do that on either my big Adams or the F5s. That may well be taste though, as I didn’t have a sub then.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom