1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NAB 2005 news!

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Gromit, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Gromit

Gromit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Sony will present Vegas 6 + DVD 3. :thumbsup:

Panasonic will present the highly anticipated AG-HVX200. :thumbsup:

This Panasonic HVX200 will blow away the Sony Z1U. :clap:

2. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    If you're going to be at NAB, drop me a PM.
    As well as the main show, there are various demo suites in the Hilton opposite ; some of my time will spent with our JPEG2000 compression chip guys in 1 of these suites.
    I will be working there (I am in Boston this week and my usual haunt is in Manchester, UK).

Chris Muriel

3. Duncan Craig

Duncan Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I've only used the Z1 for a few hours, do you have bad experience with it?

I don't think the Panasonic will do as well as you think. It'll do well for people shooting indie features, but that's not very many people.... Most people who could afford it are making typical telly, corporate and documentary.

The P2 storage is just way too expensive for most types of filming, perhaps in 3 years time they will have their 32GB card. I'd love a DVCPRO25/50/100 camera, but the storage system could be my main turn off. 14 minutes at a time on a £1000 card is a real worry. Dumping off to hard disc, while I have to try to continue operating the camera at live events is a problem. After you've shot everything you need some kind of archival system too. BlueRay/DVDHD? HD? ... Sitting and waiting while you burn a load of discs, before wiping your transfer drive ... A fixed lens on such an expensive camera is a joke.

BUT if they open up the protocols for any manufacturers to build external direct to disc recording for long events, and the lens has real control, I may be swayed.

Sony are rumoured to announce a larger body Z1, but until the final announcements come from all the companies, the JVC DV100 is still the one for me.

A proper lens (with a proper wideangle lens option), DTD recording, (uncompressed HD output), progressive scan, shoulder mount, better GOP, better audio. It's looks the dogs too, which some clients like! And $7700 the rumours say, so a fair bit cheaper than the Panasonic too.

And a lot of my clients have bought the Z1 and matching Sony decks, so footage from the camera in HDV mode would fit into their workflow with no problems. If I went to an Avid with a firewire drive full of P2 footage, I'd be total knackered. Most people still run Avids on old G3 towers, that don't even have USB let alone Firewire.

I'm sure the P2 workflow will take off in the right marketplace (US), but Panasonic don't have a great track record in the UK. No broadcasters here use DVCPRO for example. Panasonic marketing suggests way of working without listening to what people want. I'm afraid it's ahead of it's time. And if course charging around a thousand pounds for an 8GB SD card is just silly. I hope I am wrong, because in theory I don't like HDV, but it may be the only sensible choice for the near future.