N95 battery life and speed - T-Mobile

Monty Burns

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I currently use a Tosh g900 but, its a bit expensive to take down the pub when down the pub I don't need all its extra features. Now, T-Mobile have said to me that I can have my upgrade now and this put me thinking, why not get a "social" phone that if I lose I don't care :)

I've looked at all the phones on the t-mobile website and the N95 is appealing to me rather strongly. I would like wifi, btooth, email etc and this phone does them all - the 5mp camera would also been a nice bonus!

Now, I have heard there are battery issues with this phone, how long should i expect it to last? I would be using HSDP/3G to browse webpages here and there and maybe some mp3 playing.

I have also heard of it being very slow to respond.

I would appreciate any feedback on these from N95 owners.

Thanks in advance!:thumbsup:

Sold mine now, it was a big mistake for me. Battery life ranged from absolutely terrible (one of the worst consumer electronic devices i have ever owned in my 30 odd years of gadgetry) to acceptable. Is depends on various things, like WiFi usage, GPS and also the strength of signal in your area - I used to typically get less than a day light use where i lived, but in Bristol i managed 5 days with very light use.

From the usage you say, i would expect half a day to maybe a full day if lucky.

BTW, it seems rather ironic to say your G900 has to go because "its a bit expensive to take down the pub when down the pub I don't need all its extra features", then chose the N95! I bought my N95 for the exact same reason (not taking my MDA to the pub etc), big mistake.

Also, read through the massive N95 owners thread :)

ouchies!

Thanks very much for your brutal, yet honest answer :thumbsup:

I did start reading that thread but it seemed to be full of people who love the device (before they had even got one!) so not really experience opinions.

Granted, I won't be using it for things like Internet Sharing or Exchange Server push mail so I won't be spanking it like I do my G900 BUT yes, I will be using the web browser and such.

Maybe I should just choose a more style orientated phone that can recieve Pop3 mail? :rolleyes:

Thats just my experience, i'm sure other people are more than happy, but generally it's one of the worst performers battery wise for a long time.

I read somewhere the N95 is being discontinued soon (already!). Anyone confirm this?

Hi Guys

I currently use a Tosh g900 but, its a bit expensive to take down the pub when down the pub I don't need all its extra features. Now, T-Mobile have said to me that I can have my upgrade now and this put me thinking, why not get a "social" phone that if I lose I don't care :)

I've looked at all the phones on the t-mobile website and the N95 is appealing to me rather strongly. I would like wifi, btooth, email etc and this phone does them all - the 5mp camera would also been a nice bonus!

Now, I have heard there are battery issues with this phone, how long should i expect it to last? I would be using HSDP/3G to browse webpages here and there and maybe some mp3 playing.

I have also heard of it being very slow to respond.

I would appreciate any feedback on these from N95 owners.

Thanks in advance!:thumbsup:

If you're looking for a simple phone that you don't mind losing then why on earth are you thinking about getting a Nokia N95? It's a top of the line, expensive gadget-laden smartphone - about as far from a 'throwaway' phone as you can get :confused:

Because its free to me from T-Mobile and compared to my G900 its not "gadget laden" or even "smart" :D

I'm on my 4th N95 (others been faulty or stolen) since they 1st hit the streets and I'm happy with it now, battery life gets better with use and I currently get around 3 day's use from it between charges if using it just as a phone. If using Tomtom or listening to MP3's then yeah the battery drains much quicker but what else would you expect? The phone also has a habit of resetting itself but other than that and a few quirks of the nokia operating system it works well being a jack of all trades, just dont expect it to excel in any one area.

Got an N95 just now.

Pound for pound its the best phone around at the moment im my (humble)expert opinion.

I've also got a Blackberry Pearl, MDA touch, MDA mail, W580i, g600 (demo) in my bag at the moment.

Every single one of the handsets above beat the N95 in different areas but overall i dont think any match it.

There are two handsets i'd like to get a shot of though which we dont offer (rizr z8 and SE p1i), i dont think either are groundbraking but i'd like to try UIQ3.0.

Thats what I hear :) Everyone loves there N95 .... for the first week or two .....

I would really like to hear your opinion in a week or two if you can spare the time:)

Thats what I hear :) Everyone loves there N95 .... for the first week or two .....

I would really like to hear your opinion in a week or two if you can spare the time:)

Had mine for a few months now, doesnt excite me the way a new gadget does (mda touch, SE w580i) but is better on a lot of plains.

I carry two batteries (one standard and one 1200mHa) and fire it on charge here and there when im out. Battery life definatly could be a problem to the standard user but apart from that the phone works a treat.

Im off tonight and find myself playing about with the MDA touch and really liking it but trying to send a text or email is painfull.

.....I carry two batteries (one standard and one 1200mHa) and fire it on charge here and there when im out. ....

Yeah see thats the problem. I thank you for your honest answer but this is supposed to be a phone I can use and "pass out too" after a night on the beer. Even my power heavy G900 can do this.

Because its free to me from T-Mobile and compared to my G900 its not "gadget laden" or even "smart" :D

Whether you can get it 'free' (phones are never free, you'll be subsidising it from an expensive monthly contract fee) the fact is that it's about one of the dumbest choices possible for a 'take out on the beer' phone.

And I'd hardly call a phone with GPS, 5MP camera, full video features, dedicated multimedia slider, WiFi, 3G etc. etc. 'not "gadget laden" or even "smart"'.

Are you just trying to show off or something? 'Look at me, I've got a G900 and a Nokia N95 for a throwaway phone'? That's certainly the way it comes across. If you want a phone to take out on nights out that you don't mind losing or damaging then do the obvious thing and pick up a cheap PAYG handset.

"show off"? No not at all. If I wanted to show off I would tell you how its replaced my TyTN which in turn replaced my MDAIII. But I didn't did I?

I want something I browse the web with on a good screen and collect my email - all at 3g or higher speeds.

There is always someone who tries to derail a thread (and no, not just the ones I post in). Don't judge everyone by your own standards. Like it or not, it will be a "disposable" phone to me as it would be useless for work which is where the G900's keyboard, sync'ing, Internet Sharing and Exchange push email come into it.

Anyway, it appears the N95's battery life is not sufficient and so I have all the info I need from this thread so feel free to flame all you like as I won't be reading it. :rolleyes:

My nan always said that if people have nothing constructive or helpfull say, then don't say it.....

edit: Oh, and please do carry on quoting people out of context. Always a winner!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom