N8 Recall ?

Ianfromnotts

Just chased up buymobilephones one my order status only to be told that all their stocks have been recalled by Nokia. Any one else heard this -

I know there have been some faults with the phone and I saw some new firmware about a week ago but did fancy the camera

not sure what to do now

[email protected]

Not heard anything at all, always wary when online sellers quote these things as its usually used as an excuse for them not having any stock (that way they are innocent of screwing you around ).

Ianfromnotts

I was wary when I first saw the deal as under £22/month on an 18 month contact - well below the £35 others were charging but I took it as a marketing ploy whilst the product was out of stock. But the in stock date was reasonable and I had a month notice to wait on my existing contract so..... Now the in stock date has slid twice and when I asked about other advertised in stock deals on othe N8 I was told the web hadnt been updated and the N8 had been recalled. My personal experience of mobile phone sellers hasnt been good recently so am just looking for a good deal. Not sure the N8 is worth £15 over 18 months more than the HTC desire.

Any one know of any good deals on N8 excluding Orange and 3 as my signal is weak on these

lead

Novice Member
Buy it PAYG from Tesco and then get their £10pm tariff? It's what I've just done.

Thread here.

£319.97 + (12 x £10) = £439.97

You obviously need a chunk of money up front, but it equates to £24.44pm over 18 months, or £18.33pm over 24 months.

If you have any Tesco clubcard vouchers they're offering 2x their value at the moment (I exchanged £70 for £140) and there's Quidco cashback available too (£10.89). Makes it even cheaper.

Last edited:

Ianfromnotts

I need to get this on a contract best I can find right now is

CPW/Mobiles to go on T Mobile
600mins 500sms 1GB
£25x24 months with 6 months half price rental = £525
£30x18months = £540

The cash back would be of use but can be risky.

clonmult

Novice Member
Not heard anything at all, always wary when online sellers quote these things as its usually used as an excuse for them not having any stock (that way they are innocent of screwing you around ).

Agreed.

The closest thing to a problem I've heard is about a bad batch that were delivered to Vodafone. Otherwise its been a pretty good roll-out, no real bugs have been identified. Design issues maybe, but not bugs.

Ianfromnotts

If you search for Nokia N8 freezing there are several people having problems worldwide but as the majority of sellers are still offering the product it would suggest return rates are at least comparable to other products at launch. Suspect I will chance it

Ianfromnotts

Not sure about forum rules about linking to U Tube - but check this out

Niklas Savander discusses Nokia N8 quality

My interpretation of what they are saying is that there is a power up power down problem with a small number of phones - they have identified the cause of the problem and are taking action to address the issue across all the product range - they also seem to me to infer some concern that issues between Nokia and their customers are being discussed by a wider audience

lead

Novice Member
Well my wife's phone has started to freeze randomly. Sometimes it just lags out, catching up with itself after several minutes. But now it's not responding to the unlock button when it's screensaver is engaged. (Push the button, the clock freezes and it won't wake up.) I've had to reset it to bring it back to life. Not a full reset, just hold the power button for 10 seconds to power down and restart.

It seems the honeymoon is over. :(

Last edited:

bigtruck

Distinguished Member
How long has she been using it?
Mine has been ok so far (since last night :rolleyes:); it didn't like this website last night though. Other websites were fine & the browser better than I'd expected.

Ianfromnotts

fingers crossed - Ive just taken the plunge - going to keep the old phone just in case mind

lead

Novice Member
How long has she been using it?
Mine has been ok so far (since last night :rolleyes:); it didn't like this website last night though. Other websites were fine & the browser better than I'd expected.

We got it Monday, the 15th.

Ianfromnotts

at least its well inside the swap out period most sellers operate to

lead

Novice Member
My wife has just called me using her mobile. My mobile number was the only number the phone would allow her to call. (Last number she used I think.) Whenever she tried to navigate to a different number the phone would complain 'memory full'. I don't know whether to give it a chance to work, or ask for a new one, or even a refund.

I've installed a couple of games and a data monitor, so I'm going to work backwards and see if the phone starts to behave. First, I've uninstalled 'DataMonitor'...

Last edited:

bigtruck

Distinguished Member
I think I'd go for a repllacement/refund personally. Not worth taking the risk of it righting itself.

chris

Well my wife's phone has started to freeze randomly. Sometimes it just lags out, catching up with itself after several minutes. But now it's not responding to the unlock button when it's screensaver is engaged. (Push the button, the clock freezes and it won't wake up.) I've had to reset it to bring it back to life. Not a full reset, just hold the power button for 10 seconds to power down and restart.

It seems the honeymoon is over. :(

Think i would go down the route of getting it changed.
Mine is slow at some thing's and hang's on other's, but nothing like you are explaining.
Mine is just reacting like a normal nokia.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom