N40L Raid & BackUp Advise Required

DeepDiver

Need some advise on which way to go?
Already asked in N40L server thread and only had one reply. Thought I may of had a few more suggestions so I posted a new thread.

Running WHS2011
At the mo I have one 2TB drive with my movies on it. Was thinking about raid but unsure how to implement/use it. Would I think raid 5 would be the best one to use and what is the minimum amount of drives I would need? Also can you use mixed size drives.

I will also be using WHS2011 to back up one PC & one Laptop.

To backup raid I was thinking about using an external 4TB drive connected to the server & once again use the server backup feature of WHS2011.

I also have a spare ReadyNas Duo spare doing nothing.

Does this sound right or is there a better way to do what I want?

I stream my movies to a Mede8er MED600X3D. would using raid cause a problem. My movies are shared as NFS share.

Last edited:

DeepDiver

WOW? over 600 views and no advise given. I am surprised. All you top guys on holiday?

Heres hoping :thumbsup:

mickevh

Distinguished Member
Minumum number of drives for RAID5 is 3. Of which you loose one discs worth of capacity for all the parity (redundancy) data. E.g (I know these aren't "real" disc sizes) three 50GB discs in a RAID5 array would yield 100GB of usable storage (50 + 50 + 50 == 150, less one discs worth for parity data, 150 -50 == 100.)

Some RAID5 implementations let you use different sized drives, but you can only use the 3 times the size of the smallest. eg. if you have a 50GB, 100GB and 200GB drives, you could only deploy 50GB + 50GB + 50GB into a RAID5 array which would yield 100GB of usable storage. (It's because of the way the data and redundancy information are distributed amongst the discs.) The rest would either be completely unusable, or (with a smart enough RAID controller) it may be able to be use the "spare" capacity as "other" types of storage, however it's very much inplementation dependent, Thus, most RAID5 implementations use all drives the same size.

This is one of the reasons a lot of people, particularly in the SOHO realm, like to use "non-standard" RAID technologies. I've not used them, but there's plenty of threads here that discus/advocate their various merits.

Wiki's articles on RAID are also a decent (and not hugely technical) read.

RAID arrays are often cited as offering better performance that single discs as data can be read from multiple discs concurrently. The down side is that write performance can be worse - particularly for RAID 5 with all it's parity calculations.

However, that's a sort of "murphys law" that was advanced years ago when RAID was exclusively the domain of corporate implementations where there would be multiple users hitting the servers for lots of files at the same time and thus such concurrent operations is advantageous. In a SOHO, particularly when we're looking at media juke boxes, (only a few users accessing one file each, and then at fairly low bandwidth,) it's possible that it would be much of a muchness in terms of performance.

Last edited:

likeabrickhouse

your n40l isn't going to do raid 5 on the default hardware only 0 & 1 are supported
you'll have to do raid 5 using software within windows

In your situation I would probably go raid 0 on the hardware for speed and maximum space then set your backup to run every night to your external drive

raid will cause no problems in streaming that I know of. I'd be shocked if it did

I don't think I would be too bothered about the whole continuity of service aspect of using raid 1 or 5 in this situation as worst comes to worst you'll be reading files directly from your external drive for a while if stuff goes wrong and raid isn't a backup.

don't know about the backup features of 2011 but I've used cobain backup and it works well from a 1tb raid 1 to external drive

DeepDiver

Need some advise on which way to go?
Already asked in N40L server thread and only had one reply. Thought I may of had a few more suggestions so I posted a new thread.

Running WHS2011
At the mo I have one 2TB drive with my movies on it. Was thinking about raid but unsure how to implement/use it. Would I think raid 5 would be the best one to use and what is the minimum amount of drives I would need? Also can you use mixed size drives.

I will also be using WHS2011 to back up one PC & one Laptop.

To backup raid I was thinking about using an external 4TB drive connected to the server & once again use the server backup feature of WHS2011.

I also have a spare ReadyNas Duo spare doing nothing.

Does this sound right or is there a better way to do what I want?

I stream my movies to a Mede8er MED600X3D. would using raid cause a problem. My movies are shared as NFS share.

Alright guys still need some help/info.
Going to buy a 3TB drive to add to my current 2TB & 250GB drives so will have about 5.25TB total.

How do you guys backup your 100 or so movies spread across a few drives.

I have had a look at FlexRaid and wonder if this will be any good. Don't fancy ripping all my BluRays again if poss. Now I know this is not backup so I will need to do that also.

I stream my movies via homeplugs and they are set as an NFS share. Would I still be able to do that if I used FlexRaid?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom