N36L Standby

smiffy333

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Can anybody explain the best way to get the server out of standby/hibernate mode. I'd prefer it to shutdown overnight like the EX475 did but I'm assuming this can't be done?

I've installed Lights Out (which will put it in to hibernate) and WOL but don't seem to have a way to 'wake it up' from my wireless laptop to access files.

Hi,
Can anybody explain the best way to get the server out of standby/hibernate mode. I'd prefer it to shutdown overnight like the EX475 did but I'm assuming this can't be done?

I've installed Lights Out (which will put it in to hibernate) and WOL but don't seem to have a way to 'wake it up' from my wireless laptop to access files.

Have you installed the Lights out client on the laptop. That will start the server up when you use the laptop. Also need to ensure that WOL is configured on the network card on the micro server and that it can resume the server from sleep.

OK this is getting a bit frustrating now.
I'v reinstalled the Lights out app on both the server and client laptop and i'm able to put the server in to suspend from the laptop. Did notice it appears to shut the server down when I do this and there is no network link.

Try to wake the server from the laptop but it doesn't do anything anybody else got this to work successfully?

As far as I've read and tested you can't send WOL packets over wireless, only ethernet unless things have changed.

When I was using WHS2011 and set up through Microsoft with a Homeserver account and then connected to it with the Launcher app on my laptop I think it did come back out of Hibernation but not 100% sure now.

Last edited:
As far as I've read and tested you can't send WOL packets over wireless, only ethernet unless things have changed.

When I was using WHS2011 and set up through Microsoft with a Homeserver account and then connected to it with the Launcher app on my laptop I think it did come back out of Hibernation but not 100% sure now.
I'm pretty sure you can send them over wireless, they just can't be received as the system won't be connected to the wifi network when a sleep. Although some wireless cards are now starting to support this afaik.

So you can send them from a wireless device to a wired device, or a wired to wired, just not wired/wireless to wireless.

I'm pretty sure you can send them over wireless, they just can't be received as the system won't be connected to the wifi network when a sleep. Although some wireless cards are now starting to support this afaik.

So you can send them from a wireless device to a wired device, or a wired to wired, just not wired/wireless to wireless.

Whih is what I'm trying to do laptop (wireless) to server (wired),
I did try connecting the laptop to wired as well but that didn't work either.

I have my N36l to WOL it is wired. I can send the WOL command from either my wireless Laptop, android phone on 3g, internet etc. Look at this site for advice: Depicus Welcome to Wake On Lan

I have Lights out installed on my server but can not find the client install file. How do I install it on my laptop??

nag1_uk said:
I have my N36l to WOL it is wired. I can send the WOL command from either my wireless Laptop, android phone on 3g, internet etc. Look at this site for advice: Depicus Welcome to Wake On Lan

I have Lights out installed on my server but can not find the client install file. How do I install it on my laptop??

I also used that software and even used wire shark to analyse data packets but couldn't get it to work over Internet due to my router restriction not passing through WOL packets as a broadcast. Now I think about it it worked OK over my local network but couldn't get my PS3 or WDTV's to wake it so just stick with powering drives down. Idles at only 20w anyway.

On a different note, how do I prevent it from going into hibernation? I've been looking under all the usual places in Windows 7, but cannot find any mention to disabling sleep/hibernation!!! Please help. :(

*EDIT: Lol, found it. For anyone else needing it:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/819-hibernate-enable-disable.html

Confused as to why the normal selection I get on my laptop doesn't show on the N40L. I had to go to the powerconfig panel. :confused:

Last edited:
I also used that software and even used wire shark to analyse data packets but couldn't get it to work over Internet due to my router restriction not passing through WOL packets as a broadcast.

I had that same issue to start with. I have a linksys wrt54g router and was able to load the custom firmware dd wrt:
www.dd-wrt.com | Unleash Your Router

once I had this up and running I wasable to set it up to do a broadcast message for the WOL command off a certain port.

Wake-on-LAN (tutorial) - DD-WRT Wiki

Mike

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom