N00bie Help :)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by TheSmokster, Sep 14, 2007.

1. TheSmokster

TheSmokster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone :hiya:

My first post here but I'm a regular visitor and love the site :thumbsup:

I'm after some of your wise words of wisdom. :lesson:

I recently (well, i say recently but it was actually last year) purchased the LG LHT550TB (don't laugh) home cinema system. Unfortunately I jumped straight in before doing any research...

I'm wanting to hook up my Sky+ and Xbox 360 via optical cables. As you may or may not be aware, the LHT550TB doesn't have any optical or coax inputs.

There is a story behind this, mainly me asking the store staff in currys if this system is OK for what I want to do... obviously they said yes but now, having purchased me xbox and having sky installed, I've found out this system is a load of ***** and cannot offer 5.1 from external sources...

I have tried to complain on numerous occasions saying i was sold the unit under false pretences, specifically because I cannot get true 5.1 from anything else hooked up to it.

Even calling the complaints dept didn't help and they advised they were well within their right not to accept my complaint. (******s)

Currys have said use the phono jacks but I have advised them you still won't get true 5.1 surround. Alas this falls on deaf ears... they are about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike!! They don't know the difference between stereo or 5.1, muppets!!

This sums up Currys:

Me: Can you tell me the best connection to have for my HD TV

Currys Girl: Scart

Me: Surely it should be HDMI or Component

Currys Girl: No, scart is by far the best

Grrrr.... :mad:

Anyway moving swiftly on (and to stop myself babbling for Wales)

I'm looking at purchasing the Sony STRDE400 (richersounds - £130)

I know it's not exactly the best but I'm on a very tight budget (aren't we all)

Problem I got is the sub which came with the LG system is a passive type (2 wire into spring clips both ends - on speaker and system) and the sony amp only has a phono type sub output (line output?).

I know I can use the front, centre and surround speakers but the sub???

I've done a little research but feel you guys could probably knock some sense into me.

Can I link this sub to that Sony STRDE400?

I was thinking i could just solder a phono plug onto the cables but then i read somewhere I'd need to have a amp between the lineout of the amp and the speaker?

I know it's not rocket science but i think i've overdone the research and ended up confusing myself.

Help me OB1 Kanobee... :lease:

2. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,680
    Welcome to the forums!

AV receivers will have amplification to power the normal set of front centre and surround speakers. They do not have amplification for sub woofers. AV receivers will output a sub signal for a self-powered sub to reproduce the sub channel. If you have a passive sub (i.e. no internal amplification) then you need external amplification between the av receivers sub output signal and the passive sub. As subs require much more power than stereo duties, sub amps tend to be far meatier. Although you can get subs with say 150W amp, IMO they are not worth the it if you want to experience the ".1" in a "5.1" system. IMO 300W is a minimum entry. That said a single (not stereo) amp for sub duties of this size may be too much for your passive sub driver.

IMO you'd be best spending your mooney on a S/H sub of known repute rather than cobbling together a separate external amp for yours.

3. TheSmokster

TheSmokster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick response Mr Incredible :thumbsup:

I've been thinking of making my own inline power amp, I'm pretty ofay with a soldering iron and have a pretty good understanding of electronics so I may just give this a go...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=46467&doy=14m9#overview

(above kit doesn't come with transformer or heatsink but you can get these pretty cheap from most places)

I reckon for about £25 i can build my own. :D

The LG sub i have is 4ohm, 300W so it's suitable for my needs.

Just wish I had the sense to come here before wasting my money in currys!! :(

4. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,680
    What ever floats your boat!

100W RMS power at 4 Ohm is not a lot for sub duties. You may need something with a bit more ooomph!

5. pompeyclarke

pompeyclarke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have the LHT550TB and have connected it to my Tv via component (apparently the best way....according to currys). Do any of you know how I can play sound only through my TV and not all speakers?

Thanks

6. city fan

city fan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Component will give you the best picture.

Does this thing have 2 audio outs that you could link up to the audio in on you TV? If so you may be able to get sound through your TV.

It does beg the question though why? Surely the sound on these speakers will be better than your TV?

7. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    Sorry to hear about your Currys woes (not unique). If I was you I would still pursue this and go in specifically when the salesperson that sold you the machine is there and then get the manager. Ask the pair of them why you were given bad advice and and state that you were misold the product as it is not fit for your needs. It might also be worth getting the local trading standards etc. involved. If nothing else, it's another black mark against them (they probably don't care though). Did you pay by credit card? Get on to them as well (basically kick up a stink). Lesson learnt, do your homework before buying from the high street (they wonder why they're under threat from online retailers). Unfortunately there are decent dealers and shops around with knowledgeable staff and they too are under threat from the e-tailers which is a shame. TBH, I wouldn't buy batteries from Comet/Currys unless I absolutely had to. I've lost count of the amount of times I have been standing next to some poor unsuspecting punter getting c**p advice and I've wanted to say something but just walked away. Not all their staff have sub standard knowledge of their products but those that do know what they are talking about are few and far between.

8. pompeyclarke

pompeyclarke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    city fan thanks for the advice. There is no audio out on the DVD player, so guess I can only use the system speakers and not the TV. Reason for sometimes only wanting sound through TV is that surround sound sends the dog mad as she can't work out where it's coming from! :laugh: