1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

n00b sub cable question

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Iver, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Iver

Iver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My first post here so hi all:)

I have a pioneer VSX-C100 AV reciver and a set of yammy 5.1 speakers. My question is about the connection from the reciver to the sub. The cable that came with it is a bit naff, I have a a set of high quality directional stereo interconnects and ive been told i can use the left one insted of the cable with the sub. Is this correct? I know it 'works' because ive tryed it but will it have any adverse effects on sound quality? Why was the left one recommended?

Also while on the subject although slightly OT for this forum: can i use a left or right of a stereo interconnect to connect the digital out from my PC soundcard to the digital input on my AV reciver? Or is a special cable needed?

Sorry for the n00b questions and thanks for any help

2. Ayub

Ayub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +577
    i persnally use the "auto leads " tripple screened cables i get them free and they are well "screened " for car use so they must be up to the job.

3. Iver

Iver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    reason i ask is i have the higher quality stereo interconnects already. So can a normal interconnect be used as a sub cable? Do you reccommend doing so? Whats with all this left business?

+ the digital question

4. Ayub

Ayub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +577
    using better quality may make a diference however justifying spending stupid amounts is not.

5. Iver

Iver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont mean to be rude m8 far from it infact:) but you are not answering my question. Im not going to spend silly amounts on a cable infact I already have suitable ones left over, so I wont be using car ones either. I would like to know if using a normal interconnect as a sub cable is ok? And why was i told to use the left interconnect?

Cheers:)

6. Ayub

Ayub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +577
    yes. using the same cable will make no diference at all.

7. Garbage_Guy

Garbage_Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can use an ordinary phono lead for the sub :) So if you have a better one, use it.

The left one is the low level input, which is the one most of us use.
    The right one will be the high level input, which I think lets the sub recieve a full bandwith signal from the amp and makes more use of the crossover circuitry it also uses a different sort of lead.
    Stick with the left one (low level) that just controls the low level sub frequencies.

I put my Polk RT8's florrstanders on large setting on the amp and turned the crossover to it's lowest setting 40hz.

But hey, I only got my MJ acoustics Pro 100 a month ago, so I'm still learning all this stuff;)

PS. I tried an ordinary phono on the digital out on the amp and it worked ok, so it should be ok for the pc.

8. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Here's a few suitable cables (various prices) but I think any half decent cable will do:-

http://hificables.co.uk/acatalog/Cable_catalogue_Subwoofer_Interconnects_32.html

I use the Ixos XHW406 Subwoofer cable (3 m ) and use a y splitter to split the signal between the two sub inputs. My sub has the auto detect feature that allows the sub to switch off during no lfe signal being detected. this can cause a small delay in the sub reacting to new lfe signals. The Y splitter seems to help with regard to the sub swithching off unnecessarily. (I can also by pass and swith to always on).
    I don't think it matters which cable you can use (left or right ) since they're exactly the same just different colours (usually). I think it best to go for a subwoofer specifically if you cam though since they're specifically designed for this purpose. I don't know the difference between the two myself but I'm sure someone will be along to enlighten us.:)

9. Iver

Iver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the detailed reply's gents:) much appreacited the 3 of you.:smashin:

I didnt think there would be any difference between the left and right interconnects (garbage your talking about the left and right inputs on the sub right?), but anyway I now have the left interconnect as the digital input from my PC to the recivcer and the right for the sub cable. Im pretty sure I have noticed a reasonable increase in sound quality by using the high quality interconnect as a digital input rather than the low quality analouge i had before hand, but sod all on the sub:p (I tested this before I swapped the input cable)

Further tweaking will comence tomorrow when im less tired:suicide:

Anyways thanks again lads:)