1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

n00b question

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by cboy, Dec 29, 2004.

1. cboy

cboy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    hey all just bought myself a pw7 (42) with free scart board i was wondering wat i actually need to buy next (board wise) and cables to get the most out of the plasma i just bought,
    i got an ntl digi box , dvd player and xbox which i wanna play through the plasma obviously but wat do u guys recommend?
    any input would be much appreciated pls
    i obviously dont wanna waste money and have a tight budget after buying this beauty so the medium range of cables pls not the super duper stuff..:p
    thanx again

2. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi cboy,

I've got the 37" PW7 and at the moment have a SCART socket with Sky+ going into it and DVD daisy-chaining into the Sky box. I will have a BNC Component board when it arrives (thanks again MAW!) and will plug my Xbox straight into that, so I'll hopefully be able to use PIP with it too. Component board = £90, Component Xbox lead = £10, BNC adaptors = 3x £2 Maplin, SCART leads 2x £20 for good ones.

I reckon the only way to improve on this for your setup would be to get the JS Tech (www.js-technology.co.uk) RGB to VGA converter (£120 + £20 cable), plug your NTL/DVD straight into that and use your Xbox through the SCART terminal if you still want to use PIP.

That's about as technical as I get I'm afraid...

3. cboy

cboy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    thanx for ure speedy reply much appreciated m8
    lookin into it now

http://www.x2vga.com/ <-- look at that wat do u think? i was mainly lookin at the resolution to lcd maybe it would be the same on plasma?

4. tij303

tij303
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    blackmanalishi, Just out of interest what happened to the fibre optic audio out on your xbox when you replaced it with a component cable ? Does the picture improve and did you set it to progressive scan ? I take it from a previous thread that the pw7 definitely does not support comp through the vga input ?

5. cboy

cboy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    does any1 know where u can buy additional terminal boards for the pw7 screen from wat i can see u can only purchase them with a screen from av sales? pls correct me if i'm wrong

6. d0mj4y

d0mj4y
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  7. cboy

cboy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    just cancelled my order for the pw7 on another site and i'll be placing an order as soon they put my money back on my c.c. lol thank god i found this forum and thanx to the guy i spoke to on the phone,, cant remember his name but thanx anywayz m8

8. dartieman

dartieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which site was that cboy, who are you cancelling with.
    Hope you dont mind me asking, about to order pw6 with av sales, then seen thread for Robert White now dont know what to do, was also considering sony KD EP 42 XS1 they are doing that for £2659.99 plus free dvd recorder and 5 years warrenty. WHICH ROAD TO GO ?

9. cboy

cboy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    it was with discountaudiovision.co.uk
    they dont offer any future help with terminal boards where as av sales do , and av sales know exactly wat there talking about too (much better)
    i'm placing an order with these guys asap

10. dartieman

dartieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Decieded to go with av sales ordered pw6 gotta be the right thing to do.
    Thanx to all for input and help, Maw HD etc u know who you are :

11. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tij303,

Not sure I understand the question, particularly the bit about fibre-optic cable as I don't think I use one on my Xbox (but I'm not very tekkie so probably my fault!)...

I replaced the standard 3x RCA (Phono) Composite Xbox lead with a 5x RCA Component lead. The terminal board I'm getting is a BNC Component, 3x BNC for video (plus 3x BNC=>RCA adaptors so the cable fits!), 2x RCA for audio - however as my audio goes through my home cinema kit, I'll be plugging the audio RCAs straight into that.

Can't tell you for sure whether picture is better as I haven't received the Component terminal board yet (Xmas post is a B*TCH!), but all sources tell me it's far superior to Composite or SCART, so I would imagine it will be. Saying that, when I temporarily had the Samsung plasma, I used the Component lead on that and the picture was DEFINITELY better.

I also haven't set my Xbox to Prog Scan or changed any settings on it yet - I'll jump off that bridge as and when I need to... :suicide:

I have heard, like you, from other threads, that Component won't go into the VGA socket - but I'm not planning on doing that anyway. Does that mean the X2VGA box cboy has found wouldn't work??

12. tij303

tij303
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    blackmanalishi, thanks for the reply. Almost got the pw7 but went with av sales (see post repw for 1599 for full explanation).

In relation to the xbox, the xbox 'advanced' scart lead has a little box half way down it with a 'digital optical out' socket (it glows red if you look closely). If you plug a 'toslink dig audio' cable in it and then connect up to the dig optical 'in' on a 5.1 amp you get full subwoofer surround sound. Ideal for halo 2 etc.

If you never owned one then you wont have seen it - Having ordered component boards for the pw 6, and a denon avr1905 with 3 x component ins I want to use this for the xbox - just dont know if there is a lead that has the 3 components and a toslink built in. Must be - anyway hope this explains my earlier jabber ! :boring:

13. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would recommend a scaler, then you can use the scaler as a hub where all your boxes connects to and you only need a single cable from the scaler to the plasma, no need to buy separate cards as they are expensive as hell anyway.

14. tij303

tij303
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Lizzard what would it cost, what are the inputs and how would this affect the pq ?

15. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahh, now I understand, thanks for clearing that up tij!

On the scaler question, I saw on another thread just now that some scalers (don't know if this one fits that bracket) are £800-900, so I certainly won't be going for that as my plasma cost less than double that!

Lizzard's just received a one week posting ban by the Admin team so you may not get a swift reply...

16. tij303

tij303
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    blakmanalishi I think I will just go for the option of a component board and route my lead through the av receiver. The scalars seem a lot of money for doing the same thing as the amp.. Also having just bought m30 cinema, 2 estra m3i's, dvd player, wireless media player, external hard drive and need the amp yet I am on very thin ice with my wife right now ! I darent tell her how much component leads cost and she doesnt realise just how many speakers are going into her beloved designer conservatory. Anyone got any room for a lodger ? :hiya:

17. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol I know exactly how you feel! :smashin:

I'll be sticking the audio from my component board straight into my DVD system too and I reckon it will be far better quality than the SCART option I have at the moment... just need the bast*rd thing to arrive now. MAW was kind enough to send me a spare he had hanging around as Panny are out of stock of just about every board except SCART at the moment, but the courier company I'm using are completely useless so I won't be getting it til the end of the week. :censored:

btw, I saw another post today explaining how to mod your Xbox to output NTSC rather than PAL (will still only play PAL region games but seemingly better video output quality) - looks interesting and costs nothing if you already have MechAssault or Splinter Cell, plus more importantly you won't be exiled from Live! Can't remember which thread it was on but definitely on avforums, and worth a look...

18. tij303

tij303
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers mate - If im still living at home over the next week or so ill post the finished set up (minus her walnut furniture and other visa draining items). I still have a lot of research yet to do as every time I feel I understand all the connections/cables it seems to change. Just need the AV receiver and then at least I have something to work from, good luck with your fiddles ! :hiya:

19. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers - I'll report back my findings too, should be interesting... :suicide: