1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

n00b advice

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by FunBobby, Jun 22, 2004.

1. FunBobby

FunBobby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, I'm a n00b to home cinema and hoping that someone kind will point me in the right direction :)

My setup so far is as follows:

Toshiba 36ZP38B TV
    Limit 9000SE 100Mhz progressive scan DVD (I know it's crap ... and it will be replaced)
    Sky+
    I'm also likely to buy a KiSS DP-558 when it eventually comes out to link to my home network. (Computers and networks are my thing)

The speakers on the Tosh TV are okay, but lacking real power, so I need an amp and speakers (right? stupid question, but I'm a n00b remember).

The room in question is 13' 1" by 36', but I only really need coverage for the first 16', the rest of the lounge is used as a kids playroom.

I'm willing to spend up to £1,000 on an amp and speakers and only really interested in movie sounds. Music sound quality would be nice but not essential.

With my limited knowledge I like the look of Denon, Marantz & nad Amps, and KEF & Elac speakers. One thing that does confuse me is how the connections are made. Would the DVD/Sky+/KiSS go into the Amp first? Or would cables come out of the TV? Would I loose picture quality if I had to use a Componet input to the Amp instead of RGB SCART to the TV?

Any help gratefully appreciated. Cheers

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Okay mate i suggest you add Harman Kardon Amps and Infinity and Canton Speakers to your list! an amp of around £400 and speakers around £600 will get you a great system, Marantz SR4400/5400 and Mordaunt Short Premire Plus speakers is one package to look out for as is HK AVR 230 and Infinity Oreus 5.1 package. Also CANTON Movie CD1.
    Pioneer also do some good amps.
    At your budget i would suggest you dont use amp for video switching unless you really really want the convienince factor.
    DVD>AMP Digital Coax
    SKY+>AMP Digital optical
    Kiss> AMP Analogue audio.
    SENT VIDEO sigals direct to TV
    JOB Done

3. FunBobby

FunBobby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice one dragon.

The connections make sense to me now. I'll take a look at the kit you suggested too.

:thumbsup:

I'll let you know how I get on.

4. FunBobby

FunBobby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  6. paul710

paul710
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try listening to Denon AVR-1804 receiver & Accustic Energy Aegis 3B speakers - IMO they sound great.

7. FunBobby

FunBobby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys for all the help. I've spent some more time looking at reviews, owner comments, etc.

I am drawn to Denon for some reason, but after looking in detail at the Mordaunt Short Premiere Plus speakers I must admit they are fantastic. And the Marantz Amp seems to complement this better than Denon ...

That was until I saw Paul's posting and had a look at the Acoustic Energy speakers.

I've put together a quick comparison of the two systems:

System 1.
    Marantz SR4400 £180
    Mordaunt Short Premiere Plus £310
    TOTAL £490

System 2
    Denon AVR-1804 £290
    Acoustic Energy Aegis 3B £700
    TOTAL £990

So, £500 difference. But what does the £500 buy, and is it worth it?

The Denon seems to have extra features: DTS-EX Matrix 6.1 & Dolby Digital, and outputs 6x125W compared to 6x80W on the Marantz. The output doesn't worry me, 80W per channel would easily be enough. Would I miss the Ex-Matrix & Digital? I thought Pro-Logic 2 and Neo:6 were generally better for cinema sound.

The speakers are a little more clear cut - the Mordaunt Shorts would be great for home cinema, the Acoustic Energys could be used for a concert!

I'm kinda torn now. I had thought £1,000 would get a great system, but now I see the Marantz & Mordaunt Short option doing a great job for half that. Do you think I would feel cheated if I went for that over the Denon/Acoustic option?

I guess the only way to test it is to hear both systems. Can anyone recommend anywhere in Norfolk or Cambridgeshire that would have both systems?

This forum is great, I'm slowing picking things up thanks to all of you.

8. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    If you are more interested in home cinema than music look at the new yamaha's. They are also good at music but H/C is where they excell.
    http://www.qed-uk.com/?i=&vp=6&bg=210&bp=750s&bi=0

Would blow the marantz and the denon away with either of your prefered speaker systems. Both are very good as I have owned both:D

:offtopic:
    Just a quick question, why do you think/rate the Limit 900SE as crap? I have one and think its great as a dvd player and a cdp :D

9. FunBobby

FunBobby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dfour. When I looked at reviews of Yamaha amps in mags like Home Cinema Review they never seemed to come out that great. I'll take your advice, though, and have a look at that link.

The Limit 900SE is okay in terms of picture quality (hey, progressive scan on a sub-£150 DVD player is pretty good), it's just the little things that irritate me. Like it starts playing DVDs for no reason when it's been stopped for about 10 minutes, and on some DVDs the Display box stays on the screen after changing volume, etc. It does look nice, especially the blue leds, but I will be moving it to the guest bedroom when I can get a replacement.

10. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    *cough* nice Denon 3803 in classifieds at the moment!!!

11. FunBobby

FunBobby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again

Thanks very much to everyone for their comments and advice. I'm close to a decision now.

The Yamaha Amps do indeed have good features, but I didn't think they looked all that great. Sound quality was pretty good though.

Marantz sound quality on Pro Logic II didn't work for me I'm afraid. The SR5400 was looking promising but I was disappointed.

So ... I think I have settled on the Denon AVR-2805. This has all the features I was looking for, plus the auto-setup function like the 3805. It also looks and sounds great (at least the 2803 did - can't find anyone with the new 2805 model). Best price seems to be about £522.

Speakers - I tried the Kef eggs, Elac and Mordaunt-Short. I was blown away by the Mordaunt-Short Avant Premiere Plus package. At £499 this seems fantastic value.

Anyone got any comments before I buy the 2805 & Premiere Plus?