N000b at Projectors - Trying to impress the wife!

mrbreak3r

Standard Member
Hey Guys..

IVe got about a £1300 budget - looking at the 3d Epson 6000 vs Optoma hd33 - seen there is a post about this already. however my questions are this:

1) What is the major difference between LCD and DLP? and which is better in your opinion?

2) I have been told the screen is as important as the projector to get the most out of your projector? - is this true - as i have a CLEAR white wall?

3) My wife thinks we wont be able to watch TV properly as we will have to make sure the room is dark? is this true of modern day machines like the 2 above?

4) if i wanted to keep my wall and not use a screen - is there any special paint or anything that will help?

5) if you had to choose which one would it be!?

6) How long do the bulbls last nowadays?

I need to make a decision by this aftenoon otherwise shes gonna buy an LCD TV! and i just feel that projector is the way to go!

kbfern

Distinguished Member
To quickly answer a few of your points as I am just going to lunch.

You can use a wall as a screen as long as it is smooth and flat, a screen will be better and under certain conditions can help with extra brightness if required via a high gain screen or can help with better colours and black levels if a grey screen is used in rooms that can't be made dark.

The room needs to be dark to get the best from any projector so if watching in daylight hours best viewed with curtains/ blinds closed.Total blackout gets the best results but today's projectors can cope with some ambient light in the room.

Bulbs generally last a minimum 1500-2000hrs but can last up to 3-4k hours replacements cost from £120-£300 depending on which make projector.Expect 2-3 yrs usage from a bulb if using the projector to watch a 2hr film every night.

Thye main differnce between DLP and LCD is get a demo to see if rainbows are an issue to you, not everyone sees them but if you do you need to get an LCD machine.

Projectors will definitely give you a big WOW as nothing beats watching a film on a 100" plus screen rather than a 50" plasma.

A projector is great for films/sport/gaming but for watching soaps news general stuff a tv is best as a projector is not really suitable to be used every day for 6-8hrs so best have a tv as well.

colin1984

I'm guessing this isn't the feedback you'd want - but I'm with your wife I'd go buy a TV.
I have a dedicated home cinema room (specifically built for purpose) and I can't imagine watching 'regular' TV in there. To all intents and purposes the room is pretty similar to a (small) living room 5mx3m except that it has no windows - it just has a couch facing a fixed frame screen, a projector mounted overhead, and AV cabinet and wall mounted speakers (all cabling is through the walls/ceiling).
I won't bother with any technical reasons for why I'd always go with a TV I just would because to me a projector isn't for run of the mill viewing - Eastenders in glorious 112", not for me. I used to have a wall monted projector in my living room that projected it's image above the TV (have 5.5m high ceilings) and to be honest I just didn't enjoy it as much as I'd thought I would - I only used for things like PPV boxing in the end up....just seemed pointless having/using for eveyday viewing.
Take your £1,300 and buy yourself a nice PLASMA TV is the only advice I'd give.

mrbreak3r

Standard Member
thanks for the input guys, really great advice and opinions! You have no idea how valuable!

Yeah my setup is exactly that in the sense of room size, 5x3 living room.. Traditional Victorian 1930s so got the large windows in the one side.

See that's my ultimate dilema - I don't plan to watch much tv because we will have a tv in the bedroom - 47“. But liked the novelty of having a projector. My fear is that we are getting much more comfortable sofas and iwe will end up using the sitting room/lounge even more..

This will mean average of 2-3 hours a night, but it will be 1 film a week, 1 sports event (football etc) and the rest will be comedies and tv serieses (how I met your mother all the way to sopranos)

I'm seriously torn on what to do.. And I don't think I can stand her saying that she was right..

Is tv watching really that bad on the projector.

It is just us as a happy couple.. Not planning kids for a year or 2 - but we are quite sociable and love having people round..

What to do?!

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Bring the 47" tv down stairs get a cheap £300 tv (37"-42") for the bedroom and as Steve says an Optoma 200x 1080p 2D projector for the lounge (£650) or if you can stretch to it the TW5900 3D(£999) or Optoma 300x 3D £950.

Still not much over budget and you cover all bases.

Last edited:

SteveCritten

Distinguished Member
Oh and don't worry about bulb life, if you are anything like the rest of us you will upgrade before the bulb needs changing.

mrbreak3r

Standard Member
haha, that does sound good.. but i think it might appear a little excessive.. in terms of number of TV's..

i spose i could go for the projector if it is not all i wanted.. or doesnt look so good.. i could add the TV in later?

rentagas

I can't imagine having a projector in a room used for general viewing without a tv as well. The best set ups IMHO are a biggish plasma for general viewing with a screen that drops down in front for film viewing. Getting all of this will stretch your budget but it's worth it. Perhaps the compromise is get the projector and intend to buy a telly later. If you really want to watch telly in brighter conditions on a projector a bright one like the epson 5900/6000 is better.

In addition you must budget for a sound system 120 inch film without the big 5.1 sound to go with it is not a good idea.

swiftpete

Distinguished Member
I've had a projector as a tv before. I wouldn't do it again. It takes away from the impact of a film when you're just watching normal tv on it. You could get yourself a 60 inch tv for that money. I do have a projector now and love it, but its in a dedicated room. I'd probably wait til you've got one of those if I were you before doing it.

Marky1973

Oh and don't worry about bulb life, if you are anything like the rest of us you will upgrade before the bulb needs changing.

Projector bulbs are replaceable?! :eek:

:D

As everyone else has said, no point just for watching TV, but get both.....my wife was very sceptical until I set the PJ up and showed her a film, then she was blown away and won't watch films on anything else.

It does help to have a dedicated room, but I started out with an old 720p Sony PJ in the living room....had to get it out and set it up everytime we used it, but the 10 mnutes set up time was worth it.....and the picture was great projected on a magnolia wall with sheets over the windows to reduce light.......not ideal, but it was still a great little set-up.

bennyboyreynold

Standard Member
Don't let the projector snobs put you off. I have a PJ setup in my lounge as our main TV and I regularly us it for gaming, Footy games and TV shows.

You do lose the wow factor using 110" image as your main TV but my GF love the fact she can sit and watch Tv without the need for her glasses. I personally will never go back to a LCD/LED/PLASMA as they just dont cut it.

Get the light control right, stick in a nice 5.1 system,throw in an xbox 360 and skyhd you are away.

Marky1973

If I was a projector snob, surely I would be saying PJ for everything, never buy a telly.....which I'm not, nor is anyone else.......but isn't that what Benny is suggesting? And then saying the wow factor is diminished using it that way......shot yourself in the foot with that argument IMHO.

bennyboyreynold

Standard Member
Tight Git said:
I hope that's not the way we come across.

It's just commonsense not to switch a projector on for 10 minutes to watch the news, as you can with a "normal" tv.

I agree ....

I would not put a PJ on for just a few minutes at a time but thats more to protect the bulb than anything.

mrbreak3r

Standard Member
Hahah.. This is getting heated.. But am seriously loving the opinions..

Not that its making my decision easier! Does the screen really help? Against projecting it on the wall?
Its just some screens are like £400.. And I don't mind spending money, if there's a significant difference.. Especially if it helps viewing in different light.

Final other question.. I'm not a 3d buff.. I get a headache generally from it.. But.. Would you guys recommend a decent (better for what I am using) 2d machine for that price.. Or do you think the optoma is a good safe bet as a 2d unit - but has the benefit of 3d. OR can I get a better 2d for the same price.. Also love the idea of wifi if something like that exists so I can send the video from my laptop.. Dunno if that's in 1300 budget though..

kbfern

Distinguished Member

mrbreak3r

Standard Member
haha -

i have gone with the recommendation of the THW6000w absolutely amazing, gonna go see a viewing of it tomorrow..

but the feature set seams incredible! wifi - 3d hd! what more do i want..

apparently great for daytime viewing and good contrast ratio.. i just hope im not dissapointed when i do the test tomorrow!

Thank you guys for all your help.. if it wasnt for your advice.. i may have ended up with a really good LCD TV instead.. hahahahahaha! :laugh:

will let you know what i think when i return..

bennyboyreynold

Standard Member
If you think that's heated, just watch what happens now you've thrown 3D into the equation! :devil:

I have a 3D PJ which I was SUPER exited about when I first got it but have never got around to buying the 3DXL. I am not that impressed with cinema 3D TBH as I find it more annoying than anything.

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
Ah you see, watching everything on a big screen has left you jaded to the new technology. :D;)

Actually I can't do 3D myself as it just gives me a headache, but plenty seem to love it...even to the extent of watching kid's films like Lion King. :confused:

bennyboyreynold

Standard Member
I dont how it is for you guys but sometimes I forget we have a PJ as our main tv - You forget how impressive it is. The other day a plumber came over and he ended up spending more time asking me about the tv than doing his work!.

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
I tend not to highlight my AV equipment to visiting workmen. Not because they might come back and steal anything, but I imagine them chatting down the pub and someone over hears where there's some nice AV gear. Call me paranoid, but the fewer people know that it's there, the better IMHO.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Technics announces SL-G700M2 SACD and music streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
The Amazon Prime Early Access Sale 2022: 11-12 October
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Google set to launch the Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro smartphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Focal launches Bathys noise-cancelling wireless headphones