1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

N()()B to Freeview - have a few questions

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by lachesis, Oct 17, 2004.

1. lachesis

lachesis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

I'm looking to buy my mum and dad a freeview digibox for xmas. Thing is I don't know much about how freeview works etc. Out-of-the-box, do systems differ (i.e. will one box offer more 'free' channels (i.e. no monthly charge), or is there a standard 20 or so channels that are supplied with every digibox and you can't get any others unless you subscribe to individual channels?

Cheers
    PS: Which box would you recommend?

2. matty2767

matty2767

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the sony has a very fast 7 day epg and will retune to the new channels automatically. it also has digital audio out. i think this is the best box

3. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm going to get the Sony as a 2nd box(record digital whilst watching another digital channel) Have the Pioneer box at the moment which is also very good.

4. bigtank

bigtank
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    the sony is the ONE

5. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Digital Point have the Sony for £85 inc. delivery BTW ;)

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    All Freeview boxes will receive all the Freeview channels including several radio channels, subject to reception. A replacement aerial may be required to get good Freeview reception. Just because you have good analogue reception does not mean you can get Freeview, but also poor analogue does not mean you can't! The only way to tell for sure is to plug the box in to the aerial.
    A few boxes are able to take a viewing card for 'Top Up TV' that gives a few more channels but this is a subscription service at around £8 per month IIRC.

Mark.

7. lachesis

lachesis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    cheers

what model Sony are you all raving about?

8. GlennP

GlennP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's a Sony VTX D800U

I agree with the other comments on the quality of this Freeview box. You can buy cheaper Freeview boxes but beware, some are slow in changing channels and are not good at picking up all the Freeview channels in weak areas.

The Pioneer is also a good model.

9. sdc395

sdc395
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're going to opt for the Sony, may I suggest you make your purchase sooner rather than later in order to enjoy an upcoming (25th to 30th Oct?) update for the firmware?

Older versions (which may still be on the shelves) do not fully support the 7-day EPG. The first version that does (v1.11) has a number of minor issues that should be fixed by the next update.

10. AMY_YO1

AMY_YO1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I am also a N()()b when it comes to Freeview. I would like to know... roughly... how much it would cost to sort your aerial out... and, it might seem a silly question but can you record off freeview?
    Thanks for any help you can offer.
    Amy

11. WYNIR0

WYNIR0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    No idea about the ariel I'm afraid, but having paid £150 for a sky install and new ariel I'd expect you should pay less than £100. As for recording from Freeview, yes you can.

While I'm here, I'd suggest you get the Sony box, I did a week ago and it's excellent.
    :D

12. matty2767

matty2767

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you can record off freeview.

my wideband aerial cost £75 but i had a massize pole to reach above next door. suppose it is down to quality of aerial, whether you know the chap and how much work involved. also what type of cabling you already have.

your current aerial might be ok though my old aerial couldnt pick up mux c but it could get all the other which was about 50 channels. just depends whether the ones missing are worth the cost.

can you borrow a box off a mate to see if yours works

13. red_devil

red_devil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had my aerial upgraded for Freeview, it cost me £215, I had a quality antenna, a 10ft pole and cabling. I then brought a Sony box which I have found to be excellent. I can't get the Smartlink to work with my sony VCR.

14. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I dont know how old your parents are, but if they are elderly I would recomend the philips 1500, cost about £75
    It can get confussing for the non tech person.
    Aeials would start at about £80
    Nigel

15. GlennP

GlennP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Philips is known to be slow in changing channels in comparison to some other models.

16. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    If you are keen viewer it may be slow, it seems fine to me.
    My point had nothing to do with speed.
    Nigel

17. matty2767

matty2767

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey red devil. i carnt get the smartlink to work with my sony vcr either. i spkoe to sony who said the vcr didnt have the capability to link smart to a freeview box properly only a tv.

18. sdc395

sdc395
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I get the impression Smartlink is very hit and miss. If you plan to record much, I'd recommend an HDD recorder such as the Humax or the forthcoming Panasonic.

19. hammy2891

hammy2891

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    why has no one on this thread mentioned the netgem box?this was the best seller for years and is now available from makro for £50,got to be worth a shout surely.i have a thomson box,a phillips box and a netgem in the h/cinema,the netgem is the best without a doubt.

20. AMY_YO1

AMY_YO1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Thanks for the help and i will have to save up for the freeview box, as i'm having my aerial installed next week... not sure how expensive that will be yet...

but thanks for the help anyway

A

21. Dagwood

Dagwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Red Devil
    your Smartlink should work once you receive the latest upgrade for the Sony which is being broadcast this week --leave your picture tuned to a BBC channel for at least 30 minutes and it should be activated. I have the same problem and was advised by Sony that this will fix it :)

22. ian_linington

ian_linington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All,

Looks like I'm in the same situation (but its for the Wife) She has been looking at the "Sagem ITD62". As I know nothing about Freeview I thought I'd ask your advice. Is this box any good ? or would/could you reccomend any other cheap £50-60 boxes ?

Many thanks in advance.

Ian L.

23. plaver

plaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I also have the Sony excellent piece of kit very straight forward to use, excellent picture qty, don't be fooled by a good reception during good weather, when I first install my freeview box the picture was excellent, weather dry and sunny, then it rained and the picture disapeared, new aerial installed, £90 lighter, excellent picture now even when it's raining,

24. sdc395

sdc395
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The upgrade is now being transmitted. More info on Sony's VTX-D800U website.

Some people are reporting problems with the EPG following the upgrade but I've not experienced any issues so far, and it certainly fixes the digital audio and aspect ratio glitches.

25. plaver

plaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I double checked mine late last night and it had received the upgarde, everything appears to be OK so far,

As for the aspect ratio glitches, it drove me mad on sunday every time the adverts came on during F1 on ITV the aspect ratio changed