1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mz-42pz17

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by acollins, Mar 25, 2003.

1. acollins

acollins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am close to purchasing a plasma screen, at the moment its likly to be the MZ-42PZ17 from RS.

Could someone tell me what connections it has
    I have heard about an optional AV board what is this?

I would need to connect a Sony DVD player which has component Out, PS2, Sky and a video. woiuld i need anything else to connect these giving me the best possible picture.

Also does this have Picture in Picture, I have seen on the remote some buttons for it but nothing happened when i pressed them..

Thanks

Andy..

Any pictures of the connections would be good

2. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Your points in order :

- LG17 from RS comes with the standard AV board. This has Svideo, Composite and component connections.
    The set also has a seperate VGA input.

- To connect the items you have specified there are a couple of options. Ideally everything should go through the component connection as this is the best quality. Does the DVD have RGB scart as well as component ? Probably not. If it did you could connect Video to throughput on Sky then Sky / PS2 (Scart RGB) / DVD Player (Scart RGB) to a scart switch box. Then scart switchbox to a rgb to component converter with the converter connected to the component in on the Plasma.

This is how I connect my Xbox / DVD / NTL Digital. To my LG screen and the quality is very good.

Scart RGB to Component Converters cost from £90 - £150 depending on which one you buy. I got one from Scan for £90 which works great. Do a search on this forum you will find plenty of info on these devices. There is also one produced by JS which is meant to be very good. It costs about £150 including shipping. I just cant descide if it is worth paying the extra £60 for possible quality improvements. That would be up to you. Scart switches available from the cheapy £10 jobs from Argos upwards. Again up to you how much you are willing to spend.

One point worth mentioning you wont be able to use the VGA input (VGA to scart etc) for video from DVD and other sources. There are synch issues.

Option two. Sony Dvd to component. Video/ Sky, PS2 all connected via RGB scart to rgb switch box. Rgb scart / Svideo adapter out of switch box into Svideo in on Plasma screen.
    Issues with this option are Svideo is not RGB therefore you wont be able to have your Sky / PS2 / Video using RGB Scart cables.
    In real terms you will only get Composite quality, you are just making it easier if more expensive to connect all the stuff to your set.

Basically as far as I am concerned the only route for the best quality on these things is component.

Picture in Picture. The set does support it but only if you have the optional tunner box (Not even sure if RS stock this)

I can show connections as mine is on the wall above my fireplace and I dont fancy taking it off.

Hope this helps.

3. mikeblanche

mikeblanche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can get the manual for the PZ17 from www.lgelectronics.co.uk - this shows the connections on the back panel.

I think the PIP function lets you switch between the different inputs on the screen - at least this is how I read the manual. e.g. you can have SVIDEO and composite pictures side by side. The manual seems to indicate only RGB pictures are allowed for PIP function, so component (YPrPb) would not work with PIP?

mike
    waiting for his PZ17 from Richer Sounds...

4. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys being a proud owner of the 17 with the input board, can confirm that the PIP works with a RGB VGA input and will show the video or svideo or component in a box which has two sizes and potionable in either of the corners.

Sky via a HCPC with Dscaler rocks on this.

It even has a good stab at LD via the composite input.

Great plasma for the price, and on board stereo sound in not bad, which was a big suprise.

Now i can web surf in the lounge with my RF keyboard and mouse.

Ahh could life get any easier?

Oh PIP would be great for the camera at the front door!!!!

nathan

5. Rathion

Rathion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could you give me some more info on this please?
    How do you get your Sky going through your PC?
    Thanks

Sorry for the hijack :blush:

6. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I have the LG14 and saw the PIP function on the remote but couldn't get it to work and the manuel wasn't much cop.
    Is it just a feature of the 17 model maybe with LG using the same remote for the 14 and 17?

7. House

House

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    AFAIK the PIP function works with the VGA (RGB) input and another one - component, S-Video.

You cannot PIP Component and S-Video, one has to be the VGA.