1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mythos - Good Upgrade or not?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by RogueTrader, Jun 5, 2005.

1. RogueTrader

RogueTrader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've recently upgraded my kit to a 50" Pioneer and whilst I'm in the throws of moving house, I thought this would be an ideal time to upgrade my speakers.

I've always gone for the all in one packages like my current KEF 2005.2s, and would like to take things to the next level. The guys at Seven Oaks were speaking highly of the M&K series, but I need to go for something which will be aesthetically pleasing to my wife (she doesn't like the eggs and doesn't want anything too boxy).

Seven Oaks have recomended the Mythos Range (http://www.definitivetech.com/loudspeakers/mythos/mythos.html) and I am thinking of going with the Mythos ones for the fronts and the Mythos three for the center, with either four Mythos Gems for the rear or the Mythos twos.

I've seen a couple of good reviews but I'm not seeing much information i.e not many stores seem to have them, and I have no idea if the price is competitive.

For this sort of money would this be the best move or, if anyone else was in the same position, would you spend the money differently? Would really appreciate any advice as I'm still a novice of sorts and just after a kick ass sound for movies and music. I'm also using a Pioneer AX5I Receiver.

Many thanks in advance David

2. RogueTrader

RogueTrader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Folks, any ideas on these Mythos speakers from Definitive Technology. Seem bigger on the other side of the pond than here in the UK. Seveoaks Sound and Vision recommending them and they have the looks!

Just hoping for an expert opinion before i blow me cash...........unless someone has another suggestion..

Cheers David :confused:

3. radio

radio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    In my personal experience and/or opinion i would never recommend or hint on buying a speaker of that design only because of the shape of tweeter being oval. It does horrible effect to the sound. I recommend you listen to them and compare them to your "eggs" :D. I think you will find and this is a hunch that your kefs are far superior to the rectangular looking aesthetically pleasing pieces.

I also believe that the kef's that you currently own are one of the best out of box solutions and i think going to the def techs will be a downgrade.

I personally have not heard the def techs rectangular mythos. But i am not a fan of their floorstanding speakers they are not for my taste.

Now you may be confused by my opinion(s)... I suggest you listen to them with possibly same equipment e.g receiver cd/dvd transport.

I think you will find quickly trying to convince the mrs for the eggs.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Def Tech have never really caught on over here although in the early nineties their speakers were seen as the upmarket brand to aspire to. Later on they moved into the sub / satellite arena with the Pro Cinema range which I had and thought were miles better than the other sub / sat combinations that I had heard. I put down their lack of success in the UK to the lack of active promotion by the distributors which of course is of no help in answering your question.

Try to arrange a demo with Sevenoaks and ask them to demo a set of KEF Eggs at the same time so that you can listen to the differences in the same environment.

5. RogueTrader

RogueTrader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many Thanks Radio and Ian J. appreciate your comments and advice, ill arrange a demo as suggested. Other than that for a budget of about 4k-5k would i be able to get a noticeable upgrade compared to my eggs? and what would be favoured by your goodselves?

think be best if i can get a demo of 2/3 makes and go from there!

Regards David

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The problem is that you are asking for recommendations for a speaker budget with the proviso that they must be aesthetically pleasing to your wife who doesn't like traditionally shaped speakers.

I cannot recommend anything that falls into that category as I have never heard any lifestyle speakers that I could recommend at those price levels that offered sonic value for money against traditional opposition.

The Mythos are expensive and whilst I am happy to admit that I have never heard them I would suggest that you demo them up against more traditional box shaped speakers like M&K even though your wife may not like the look of them, just to see if your money is going on an aesthetically pleasing cabinet or into improved sound quality.

Sevenoaks seem to carry mainstream brands only and if it were my money I would want to investigate less mainstream brands like PMC, Proac, Spendor and Sonus Faber at those price levels - but they are traditional looking and may not have the necessary WAF

7. radio

radio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Before the kefs came out i would have said energy encores. But right now for sats i think the kefs are pretty darn good... are you lacking in bass? (a new sub may solve that) what kind of receiver you running on the kefs?

If you want something better you may have to go to bigger speakers high end bookshelfs or floorstanding in my opinion.

I am actually thinking to gift my dad those kefs.

edit: reread and saw your receiver... if your sound is lacking you might consider upgrading to a higher end receiver.

8. rowlandhills

rowlandhills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    If you can wait a bit...

In August, Linn are launching their first "lifestyle" speaker system, the Komponent. You can see some pictures here(bottom of the page):

http://www.shows.soundstagelive.com/shows/avtour2005/frk_dly_may05.shtml

Apparently the May 18th UK price list says:

Komponent 110** Floor-standing loudspeaker for two-and multi-channel systems: single 600
    Komponent 104** Compact loudspeaker for two- and multi-channel systems: single 250
    Komponent 106** Centre-channel loudspeaker for multi-channel systems: single 500
    Komponent 120** Bass extension loudspeaker for music and movie systems, AKTIV 750
    Stand 104(BS) Rigid stand for use with Komponent 104 loudspeaker: single 150

**Speaker Finishes - Silver and Graphite

So you could get two 110's, five 106's and a 120 for £4500, which would probably be a sweet system!

People who've heard these speakers say that they are very musical, although opinion is somewhat divded about the looks...

9. kwijibo

kwijibo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Code:
    although opinion is somewhat divded about the looks...

Ugly as sin!!! Thats my vote! :devil:

10. rowlandhills

rowlandhills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
  11. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I remember one of the home cinema mags a few months back had a special booklet with a load of home installs in it. One of the houses had the Definitive Tech Mythos One, Two and Three as the surround sound package, and the mag was very complimentary about them.

Problem is, I can't remember which mag it was, but I think it might have been What Hi-Fi? Sound & Vision, for whatever that's worth.

Anyway, I remember the text went something along the lines of "it's nice to see that companies are starting to worry about sound as well in the lifestyle speakers" and went on to compliment them as being very listenable. They weren't overflowing in their praise, but they were definitely positive about their performance.

A point to raise about that though, is that if someone has been kind enough to let you into their house and photograph your house to sell your magazine, it'd probably be extremely bad form to slate their speakers as 'all style and no substance', so I guess you should consider that.

Anyway, I thought you might be interested. I have it lying around somewhere, so I can find out a bit more detail if you need it.

For what it's worth, they were matched with a Rel Quake.

Hope there's something worthwhile for you to take from this post.

12. RogueTrader

RogueTrader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Doctor Juggles appreciate your post! How very cynical of you:
    " A point to raise about that though, is that if someone has been kind enough to let you into their house and photograph your house to sell your magazine, it'd probably be extremely bad form to slate their speakers as 'all style and no substance" hahaha.

Think im going to take Ian's and Radio's advice and arrange a demo for this weekend of the Mythos and compare with my eggs. Found and article on the internet talking about the Mythos Supercube and how it has to be connected to the left and right Receiver and not the Sub output, so being a novice i would assume that this is not true .1 surrond sound??? Would anyone know why this would be the case?

Not to sure about the looks of the Linn's think i prefer the looks of the Mythos.

13. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The Mythos system is in a completely different price bracket to the Eggs and one would expect them to sound loads better. My suggestion is that before you part with the cash that you listen to a tradionally styled system in a similar price bracket to the Mythos so that you can ensure that you are not giving away too much in sound quality for the sake of style.

14. RogueTrader

RogueTrader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the wise advice Ian....
    Been looking at the Sonus Faber you mentioned.. Love the look and style of the Stradivari - Beautiful looking speaker, don't love the price at 5k a pair!!

Think im going to arrange a demo with the Mythos and Egg's to test Radios opinions that the egg's will sound better or the same as the Mythos. Logic would suggest though at 10X the price there must be some improvement and neither are "a traditional styled speaker"!, plus im keen to try the M&K LCR 35's for the front's and the 25's at the rear as going for 7.1.

Would you know if the Pioneer AX5I receiver is able to support multiroom? (or should i post this question on the Receiver Forum).

Thanks for the advice guys - Great website!!!

15. cmexec

cmexec

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rouge: Don't know if you have already demoed the Mythos yet but if needed, perhaps I can provide some insight as I have been using them for over a year now.

By way of background, I am a former Brit. living in NY. I have used Yamaha high-end AVRs (in the UK) and have since used HK and now Marantz (SR-8500). I have used the aforementioned brand AVRs with the Mythos One (Main), Mythos Three (Centre) and Orb Audio Mod1 (Surround) + Orb Audio Super Eight Subwoofer.

All are pleasing to the ear but I think the Marantz was the best match. For 2-channel music the soundstage depth and separation is exceptional. The only issue is that the Mythos range is really designed to work with a subwoofer, as the lower frequencies (although specified) are not handled by the Mythos but rather handed off to the the acompanying Sub.

If you are interested in hearing other user opinions of the Mythos line, I have supplied the following links:
    Home Entertainment Mag Review
    AVS Forum Search
    Audioholics Forum Search

You may also want to look at the Orb Audio Sub/Sat setup as an alternative. They are similar to the Anthony Gallo sub/sat range (www.roundsound.com) and have had favorable user reviews (check out this ecoustics forum post).