• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Mystery speakers

onamatappearagain

Novice Member
Hello,
Can anyone please help me identify these speakers.
There are no markings to indicate manufacturer
They are 25.5 x 24 x 49 cms
They weigh approx 7kg each
Any ideas?
Many Thanks
Gary
IMG_0233.jpg
IMG_0234.jpg
IMG_0236.jpg

camcroft

Distinguished Member
Carefully remove the large speaker unit and see what is written on the back of it or is there nothing next to the connections on the back a plate or something

camcroft

Distinguished Member

camcroft

Distinguished Member
What about the small unit ( Tweeter )

camcroft

Distinguished Member
What do the connectors look like on the back ?

camcroft

Distinguished Member
Right the woofer ( large speaker ) is a Seas drive unit so thats a start

camcroft

Distinguished Member
Many speaker manufacturers used Seas drive units and the cabinets look like real wood veneer and the grills look well made so probably a well known make but I can't say what maybe someone else might recognise them I would think they date back a good few years maybe 80s . Have you tried playing through them if so how do they sound

onamatappearagain

Novice Member
Thanks for your help.
No I haven't connected them yet. I am no expert but hopefully will do soon. I have been told old speakers despite looking shabby can perform as well as modern speakers
As you say the cabinets are heavy and seemingly good quality. I picked them up today from a refuse collection centre resale shop

camcroft

Distinguished Member
What are the connectors like on the back where the wire goes in have you got a photo of the whole back of the cabinet

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Looks like a sealed box so probably late 1970’s at a guess. A Heybrook HB2 or Ruark Swordsman copy/lookalike/kit. May be a Wilmslow Audio kit of the HB2?

dogfonos

Prominent Member
I too initially thought Heybrook HB1 or 2 but, from memory, the HB2 had a rear port. It seems the HB1 had distinctive livery on the front and a different tweeter.

I thought maybe it was a Rogers (or similar) design as they used a similar-looking tweeter as did Mission in the 1970's but upon checking Google images, they're not. I'm stumped.

camcroft

Distinguished Member
Have posted a picture on What Hi-Fi to see if anyone can recognise these speakers

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom