1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mystery sony pj

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Baza999, May 1, 2005.

1. Baza999

Baza999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Sony use the same body shape for all these models: 1040/1042/1044/1001/1030/1032. I think his image shows either a 1030 or a 1032 because there is what looks like a 15pin VGA connector on the front below the lenses.

The only ones that will take a PC input are 1030 and 1032. Both will accept a line doubled signal but neither is true HD compatible.

Sony 1030/1032 have manual convergence (the little adjuster shown in his second photo) and are reasonably easy to converge. There is a downside to manual convergence on these models. If you swap between line doubled and a direct video feed you may find that the convergence needs readjusting.

I'd also be a little cautious about his claims for the projector handling widescreen OK. This vintage of projector was sold before true widescreen support was a common feature. The projector would need either an extra set of dedicated 16:9 convergence controls or full digital convergence to get a proper anamorphic 16:9 image converged properly. The pj will work OK if you alter your DVD player to Letterbox mode, but that is lower resolution.

Regards

3. Baza999

Baza999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :clap: Hi Chris, thanks very much for your comments, i have decided to take a miss on this one.But i am keen to get into ctr but its a minefield out there can you give any advise to a newie please. Baza999.

4. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    First off decide a sensible budget - pj, mounting bkt, cables, screen + installation and convergence costs. There are some areas you can economise - DIY install and convergence for example and choosing a basic pull down matt white screen. Other areas it pays to plan ahead like installing data-grade cable for example.

Choosing your projector very much depends on your budget and whether you plan to buy the best you can afford now and stick with it a few years or buy entry level and upgrade as your knowledge and experience grows.

Brand, age, run hours, tube condition, CRT size, features, physical size, availability of spares support and advice, data capability all affect prices, so the best I can offer is some general guidance with the follow-up advice to spend some time reading this forum.

Video only projectors are mostly manual convergence. Newer models will have 16:9 support (e.g. Seleco 3xx series, Sony 1001 (?), Barco 508). Older models like Seleco 1xx series and most Sony 10xx series don't have 16:9 mode.

Data capable projectors will work with an external line doubler or Home Theatre PC (HTPC), however don't assume they'll also work with progressive scan DVD players as only a few will have Progressive Component inputs. Data capables include Seleco 4xx and 500 series, Barco 7xx & 8xx series, some NECs. Look for digital convergence and 16:9 support.

Regards

5. Erling

Erling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In addition to Chris' excellent advice, I also suggest you take a look at Curt Palme's CRT Primer: http://www.curtpalme.com/CRTPrimer.htm

Lots of useful info here, including some model-specific information for various projectors. Seems to have been expanded since I looked last, but the basic stuff is still there.

Another good source: http://www.crtprojectors.co.uk/crt_faq.htm

Best of luck with the CRT hunt; hope you find a nice projector. :)

Cheers,
    Erling

6. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    have a look at mine on this forum in classifiieds price now gone down very low hrs use :)

7. Baza999

Baza999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, thanks for the exelent advise, im just chewing it over at the moment. I will get back to you when i decided which way i'm going......
    Baza
    :hiya:
    ps; where do i find the classified section, thanks

8. garyc

garyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Erling,

excellent link cheers from another wannabe crt owner

9. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Baza, there's a Sony D50 for sale in the AV Forums classifieds (Sat 7th). It's worth a look.