Mystery running injury

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by blue max, Jun 11, 2015.

1. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,331
    Sorry, but couldn't think of a better title.

Never thought I would be posting in this forum, but first time for everything!

I was terribly overweight, drank heavily and eat too much of the wrong things. So, kick start a health drive four weeks ago.

I tried jogging some time ago and did it in 'fashion' trainers. I injured my ankles quite badly. Didn't break anything, but they ached for weeks. So, now I have 'proper' running shoes and it is a lot better.

I have lost two stones already, so it is working, but I have picked up a slight injury.

I just wondered if anyone had any idea what I could have done. It is a pain/ache just under my lower knee. It isn't the shin bone. It appears to be connected to the knobbly bit on your inner lower knee. I would say more like a twisting injury if that makes any sense.

I've been on ibuprofen. When I'm exercising it isn't really a problem, but it tends to ache when I'm resting. I've kind of lived with it and it isn't getting any worse. But it isn't really going.

Any thoughts?

I should say, I'm not looking for medical advice as I will just leave it and monitor it. But if it is a recognised complaint, it would help my expectations of healing times.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  2. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,731
    Hi mate, good to see you in here.
    I've just recovered from a slight ankle sprain but it still took about 3 weeks of no running. That's what I'd recommend for you, but you can replace it with swimming..? Maybe try cycling?

3. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,331
    Thanks shodan. I feel like a pork pie... (the saying, not the food :D)

But I do hope to feel more at home here as I get more in to it.

I did my 1.7 mile jog/walk this morning and have done a cardio workout class already. Then I've another one tonight! I forgot about the one this morning or I would not have bothered with the run!

Oddly, the leg feels fine now. So I'm still mystified by it. I just hoped someone would recognise the complaint and put a name to it. But it may just be one of those aches and pains we all get over the years.

I'm glad it isn't serious as it would be a real setback. I had pains in both calf muscles early on in the cardio classes (one just walking to the class!). But I guess I'm hardening up to exercise a little now.

I was 18.5 stone (I'm 5' 10"), so well into obese territory. Now I'm 16.5 stone and need to shed another 1.5 stone to be just overweight. It feels amazing to finally be going the other way. Definitely don't want to be going back there.

4. Inferno

Inferno
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,107
    I have a similar pain thing going on behind my left knee, feels like it needs cracking if that makes sense, my knees often crack without even trying to do it, it does alleviate it a bit but it seems to always be there, it dosent affect my running though, as in I cant feel much just like it needs cracking.

Are you doing stretches after your runs?

If it is affecting you though as said, take brufen and see the doc, you don't want to aggravate it if it is bad or it will last even longer.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  5. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,331
    Ouch, that sounds annoying. I must say, I don't have any cracking, thank goodness or it would drive me insane!

Yes, I am stretching and doing a walk beforehand.

To be honest, it is barely noticeable now, so hopefully it is on the mend. Or frightened into submission by posting on here :rotfl:

Always find it a bit of a fruitless journey going to the quacks as they never seem to know the answers these days. Fine if you actually have an injury, but for anything else, it just tends to be rest it and see how it goes.

6. scatterbug

scatterbug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +752
    Congratulations on the weight loss so far. Running injuries are very easy to pick up, even for the experienced. However, unless the pain has persisted for a few weeks, don't worry about it just yet. Rest, take it easy and see if your body just needs to adapt.

Personally, I would introduce cycling as you can burn calories whilst not subjecting your musculoskeletal system to a beating.

Regarding GP's - they are just that, generalists. If running becomes your passion try to seek out some recommended sports massage/therapists in your area. Despite the cost, they can give invaluable advice and often sort issues out in a single session.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  7. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,331
    Much appreciated scatterbug. A relationship breakdown is the catalyst, but it is certainly making me feel good about myself.

There is no cash for a bike or therapists, but if things change, I'll certainly give it some thought. I live in a city, so cycling is not such a great thing to do. But I'm probably making excuses for it :)

8. scatterbug

scatterbug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +752
    Yes, I've followed your posts in the other thread. Exercise is a great emotional balm. I only suggest a sports therapist for further down the line and if you fall for running in a big way (which many do).

9. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    Believe it or not, it sounds like Runner's knee!
    Look it up on google.
    I suffered from it and shin splints, so I had to give up running.

10. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,331
    Thanks. I'm not too sure though. It's rather short of the knee. But it does say 'around', so I can't rule it out.

Every bone in my body aches at the moment, so it is lost in the melee :D

11. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    My pain was below the knee, that was attributed to runner's knee.

12. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,331
    In which case, it seems quite probable.

I'm not stopping, so hope it doesn't get any worse.

13. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    You using proper running shoes, rather than normal trainers?
    Running on softer surfaces than tarmac?
    These are all things that helped me reduce the pain, but never eliminated it.
    I just have sh*tty knees.

14. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,331
    Yes, although the cheapest in the shop! I have flat feet, so there was not a huge amount of choice. But I have added some gel insoles too. And I run on pavement/woods, so not too bad.

I will probably get something better when funds allow and I'm sure I am sticking to it. All positive at the moment though. I have to say, I hate running. I'm just so poor at it. Not much more than a jog and doing between 11-12 miles per minute which is little more than a stroll. And can't do the full 1.7 mile route yet either. I need to improve my technique somewhat and as the weight comes off and the fitness improves, I hope it will become more pleasurable. But I am doing what I am able, so every day gets a little better.

15. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    My running shoes were canvas Adidas things that cost a whopping £22, they were ace!

16. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,331
    Was this a long time ago? Good ones are over the ton now.

Mine were £25, so the bottom of the barrel. Took the skin of my little toe and caused an infection, but other than that are adequate. :rotfl:

17. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    It was a while ago, yes.
    And they were half price back then.
    They came recommended by a running shop up here after they did a gait analysis on me.
    Running shoes are all about the function rather than the style, I would never have worn them to the pub with jeans! :D

18. scatterbug

scatterbug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +752
    As a cyclist I hate running too. But I know I'll grow to love it. For me it is the purest form of exercise and what we are naturally meant to do. But for a beginner there are fewer pursuits that are tougher on the body. Joint and muscle pain are all the norm but most should resolve themselves if you are being sensible with your workload. The difficulty is discerning beneficial overload from injury.

19. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,331
    All very true. I'm hoping that as my weight reduces, the impact will be less. Apps like runkeeper make it slightly easier to map your improvements. All a bit of a distraction really, but I try to do a personal best every run. Won't always happen, but I hope that will be the overall trent.

Combined with cardio classes, more considered diet and vastly reducing the alcohol, it is working.

At least to the point when people are noticing. And the old belt needs another notch. Those changes are real.

20. Inferno

Inferno
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,107
    I had a gait analysis done about 3 years ago and ended up with a pair of Adidas Response Trail 18 they were about £55 but they made a marked reduction in leg and foot pain after my runs over some crappy Nike air poop, and there still going strong hardly any wear on them at all, they are used just for running and nowt else though.

Also have some Asics Lahar jobbies though there good they are nowhere near as good as the Adidas ones, you do need proper running shoes though as they make a big difference, well they did in my case.

I must admit I do get hamstring pains sometimes and my glute aches a bit but I just put that down to my age and if i'm ill and stop running for a bit the pains worsen so the excersise is defo benificial.

21. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,331
    Thanks all. Haven't been back to this thread in ages, mainly because it has all settled down now and my running is getting better and better (now 9.04 m/mile). And losing around four stones at this point helps! Loving the exercising, but not so much the running. But it is good for the weight loss, so I'm sticking with it.