Mystery popping from Technics amp

I'm new around here, please forgive me if I've posted in the wrong place!

I've been using a Technics SU8044 amplifier for around 5 years now and it's been great, but yesterday the right channel started popping and buzzing.

The noise happens regardless of which input is selected and shows up on the amp's VU meters. I've made a recording of the noise here: https://photos.app.******/aSDvkYzBUSyoZHXN8

I took the lid off last night to have a look around but couldn't see anything obviously unhappy, but I'm not at all qualified in this area.

Does anyone have any ideas for what could be causing this and how I might be able to sort it out?

dogfonos

I couldn't access the sound clip - unsure why.

I've been using a Technics SU8044 amplifier for around 5 years now and it's been great, but yesterday the right channel started popping and buzzing.

I wonder who used it for the first 35 years? I can't predict what's wrong with your amp (best guess would be a faulty output stage of the right channel power amp section) but it is seriously old. If you wish to keep it, maybe it would be a good idea to get it 'professionally' serviced - even though, personally, I don't think it's worth spending money on as it appears to be quite an ordinary amp. Different matter if it has sentimental value though.

(not a recommendation as I know nothing about them)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom