Mystery - Amp and Sub - Not talking to each other

Steve N

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not holding out much hope here as even the experts are baffled but I'll give it a go.

Amp = Denon A1HDA.
Sub = SVS PB12-Ultra/2

A great match for a couple of years then the sub stopped working. Would sometimes go for a while then stop again.

I was convinced it was the sub and ordered a brand new internal amp for the sub from L Sound in Norway.
Had it professionally installed. All well for around 10 minutes then same problem.

So assumed it must be the Denon. Sent it back to the supplier who loaned me a Yamaha amp.
Sub is working perfectly with the Yamaha and has been for a week now.

Just got a call from the Denon repair shop saying they can find no fault. It is working perfectly and has been on test for 3 days without an issue.

So no fault with Sub and no fault with Amp. They just won't work together :rolleyes:

This is really doing my head in :mad: :mad:

Anyone got any thoughts or suggestions

PLEASE

Does the sub incorporate auto standby power management? Turn it off if it has and leave the sub powered up completely while in use.

Does the sub incorporate auto standby power management? Turn it off if it has and leave the sub powered up completely while in use.
I do leave the sub powered up but it will default to standby mode if no signal detected after a period.
Not sure if I can override this ?

I do leave the sub powered up but it will default to standby mode if no signal detected after a period.
Not sure if I can override this ?

I'm not familiar with you sub, but some of the subwoofers that include the auto standby function do allow you to permanently override it.

You could also try recalibrating your setup, but turn down the volume on the sub itself prior to instigating the auto calibration process. This would mean that the amp increases the level in association with the sub pre out and in turn the current going via that output to the sub in order to attain reference levels. A higher output may more readily kick the sub back into action when required?

Try resetting the Denon back to it's factory defaults just in case it's a DSP glitch. Before you do this store your current settings via the User Memory Save/Load option. You can then instantly recall them after you've done the reset.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom