mysteriously cracked LG pdp. ***UPDATE***

DSF_70

Standard Member
Reaction score
Posted previously in wrong forum.

Hi All

I have just had the weirdest experience with my 50inch LG 50PS3000, bought from Richer Sounds in Holborn.*

We awoke one Sunday morning and attempted to turn the plasma on.* Initially there was a continual buzzing noise, and then we noticed three cracks branching from the bottom centre/right of the PDP (internal screen).* These cracks continued midway across the screen not touching any of the remaining edges.

We have had this plasma for about 18 months now, and it has already crashed.

We immediately contacted Richer Sounds as we had brought a guarantee by paying an extra 10% at the time of purchase.* Richer sounds informed us that they would arrange for an engineer from Visual FX to visit our home a couple of days later.* A Visual FX engineer came out and took a thorough look at our plasma for any external damage, which he couldn't find along with taking numerous photos and videos shots of the plasma.*

I heard him speaking on his phone to his office, informing them that there was no damage to the external casing whatsoever.* He proceeded to tell us that it would be a 2 man job to remove the plasma to their engineering offices, so someone else from the company would return to collect it the following week.*

Our plasma was collected on the 26th April 2011 and to this day nothing has been resolved, but instead we have faced a dodgy company with nothing more then sheer lies!!!* After a week and half of my wife and I making numerous calls to the Visual FX engineers for updates, we were eventually told that our plasma displayed external damage as well as internal damage!!!!!! and WE :mad: were going to be billed for any
repairs!!! :eek:

Yes....this is after they had taken the plasma and left uswith a receipt where there is a diagram to display any scratches etc... quite like the ones you get when you book your car in for a service.*

As you can expect given the fact that our plasma was pristine, no marks were indicated, and the only note displayed was 'slight-dust'.* We have since been in contact with the Richer Sounds store in Holborn trying to get an explanation or reach a conclusion, but to this day we are still waiting.*

Whilst in the store my wife spoke to the Visual FX engineers via the phone, where she was told that the damage had happened 'from the inside out' and there was external damage that caused it!! when she posed the question 'how has this happened, seeing as it happened from the inside out?', the lady on the phone said 'i dont know'...well unless i am mistaken the Visual FX engineer should know what is wrong before attempting to bill anyone.*

We have since received photos of what the engineers are calling external damage and was instructed by a member of staff at Holborn that the external damage was just below the crack at the bottom of the PDP!!!* so why is the photo of the damage displaying the top of the plasma, no where near any of the cracks???* upon further inspection of the photos, we then noticed that it didnt even look like the top of our plasma as the LG website allows you to look at the plasma on a 360 degree rotation....

Then guess what we were told next!!! Today we were told the external damage is underneath the bezel at the top??? yes I know, all too confusing...and lets not forget..the crack is protruding from the bottom of the screen, going upwards almost branch like. So even if this phantom damage did exist, it is still not consistent with the crack which has stopped the screen from working!!! it sounds to us as though they have caused further damage to our plasma and are trying to blame us for it.

Now to recap, we have had three Visual FX engineers in total view our plasma, the first inspected the plasma thoroughly, taking videos along with photos and sent a report of 'NO FRAME DAMAGE' whatsoever to the Visual FX head offices. Leading to further investigations necessary. This needed to be done onsite at Visual FX. The 2nd and 3rd Visual FX engineers, collected the plasma leaving a receipt in which they did not indicate any blemishes, scratches and/or marks on the externals of the plasma whatsoever.

Now, it seems there is damage to the frame/bezel to which they are attributing the crack to. Even though this new damage does not indicate any relative consistency to the initial crack at all. This phantom damage is at top of the frame, whereas the crack is at bottom of the frame, branching out towards the top and sides but the crack does not touch either side or top of the frame.

Visual FX have some serious questions to be answered, As do Richer Sounds.

I have been buying from Richer sounds since the mid to late 80's when they had the store at London Bridge. Its been a while, but i'm sure i bought a pair of Mordaunt Short speakers from them in there early days. And they were absolutely brilliant. Staff were approachable energetic fun and it was the place to buy all your audio visual equipment.

My experiences up until this moment have been spot on. After all I have been a customer since the mid to late 80's. So many monthly pays have gone to them as a testament to there excellent and fair service.

What they are doing contracting repairs to Visual FX is beyond me. Visual FX have nothing but complaint after complaint in regards to their service and audio visual quotes. Check them out in forum, right here in AVFORUMS. Its unbelievable.....

However, my plasma warranty purchase and recent problems needs to be resolved.

What is the law/guide lines as far as an engineer indicating relevant damage to an object on collection. Then attempting to state any damage at a later date.* Surely this cannot be allowed!!

And What about when this damage is not concurrent with the initial issue of the said object.

The first Visual FX engineer stated to me, sometimes the circuits damage within the plasma causing the inner PDP to crack. Thus this was why they needed to investigate the issue further and take the plasma away.

I have googled this and have found multiple threads with the same issue of*a plasma PDP cracking on its own.

At the end of the day, the onus lays with Richer Sounds and
what is it their website says...

'NO ONE LIKES TO THINK OF THEIR TV PURCHASE GOING WRONG.

BUT, ON OCCASION THEY DO, AND WHEN THEY DO, IT'S A HASSLE.

ONE THAT EVERYONE COULD DO WITHOUT'.... oh yeah, what a joke...and what do you get

• We’ll cover your LCD or plasma screen for 5 years full
parts and labour.
• Collect and return your screen [if it’s 32¨ or over],
• Give you a 45-day cooling off period if you have a change
of heart, when you will get a full refund - no questions asked.*
• Give you a like-for-like replacement if we can’t repair it

Well we are still waiting, and getting tired of being fobbed off by a cowboy engineering company, and it should be on Richer Sounds to be doing all the calling around and see THROUGH the simple lies when its staring them in the face!!!* The receipt states
'NO FRAME/BEZEL DAMAGE'. The initial report by the 1st engineer stated 'NO
FRAME/BEZEL DAMAGE'

WHERE IS RICHER SOUNDS LOOKING OUT FOR THE INTEREST OF THEIR
CUSTOMERS, AND TRYING TO UPHOLD THE NAME OF A ONCE TRUSTED RETAILER.* ALL THE FACTS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES, BUT RICHER SOUNDS DO NOT SEEM TO BE INTERESTED.
:lease:

***UPDATED***
Saturday 14th May 2011
This afternoon we received a call from a Customer Services Manager of Richer Sounds.
This gentleman seemed like he was going to address the problem head on.
Looking at it from a common sense point of view. i.e. how does an inner screen (pdp) crack without damage to the outer screen (filter glass). Also, why take the plasma for further investigation, if it had external frame damage. Which potentially was not present after 3 individual Visual FX engineers had inspected the plasma.
:thumbsup:
Anyway, we await this managers final outcome.
We will keep you posted.

Posted previously in wrong forum.

Hi All

I have just had the weirdest experience with my 50inch LG 50PS3000, bought from Richer Sounds in Holborn.*

We awoke one Sunday morning and attempted to turn the plasma on.* Initially there was a continual buzzing noise, and then we noticed three cracks branching from the bottom centre/right of the PDP (internal screen).* These cracks continued midway across the screen not touching any of the remaining edges.

We have had this plasma for about 18 months now, and it has already crashed.

We immediately contacted Richer Sounds as we had brought a guarantee by paying an extra 10% at the time of purchase.* Richer sounds informed us that they would arrange for an engineer from Visual FX to visit our home a couple of days later.* A Visual FX engineer came out and took a thorough look at our plasma for any external damage, which he couldn't find along with taking numerous photos and videos shots of the plasma.*

I heard him speaking on his phone to his office, informing them that there was no damage to the external casing whatsoever.* He proceeded to tell us that it would be a 2 man job to remove the plasma to their engineering offices, so someone else from the company would return to collect it the following week.*

Our plasma was collected on the 26th April 2011 and to this day nothing has been resolved, but instead we have faced a dodgy company with nothing more then sheer lies!!!* After a week and half of my wife and I making numerous calls to the Visual FX engineers for updates, we were eventually told that our plasma displayed external damage as well as internal damage!!!!!! and WE :mad: were going to be billed for any
repairs!!! :eek:

Yes....this is after they had taken the plasma and left uswith a receipt where there is a diagram to display any scratches etc... quite like the ones you get when you book your car in for a service.*

As you can expect given the fact that our plasma was pristine, no marks were indicated, and the only note displayed was 'slight-dust'.* We have since been in contact with the Richer Sounds store in Holborn trying to get an explanation or reach a conclusion, but to this day we are still waiting.*

Whilst in the store my wife spoke to the Visual FX engineers via the phone, where she was told that the damage had happened 'from the inside out' and there was external damage that caused it!! when she posed the question 'how has this happened, seeing as it happened from the inside out?', the lady on the phone said 'i dont know'...well unless i am mistaken the Visual FX engineer should know what is wrong before attempting to bill anyone.*

We have since received photos of what the engineers are calling external damage and was instructed by a member of staff at Holborn that the external damage was just below the crack at the bottom of the PDP!!!* so why is the photo of the damage displaying the top of the plasma, no where near any of the cracks???* upon further inspection of the photos, we then noticed that it didnt even look like the top of our plasma as the LG website allows you to look at the plasma on a 360 degree rotation....

Then guess what we were told next!!! Today we were told the external damage is underneath the bezel at the top??? yes I know, all too confusing...and lets not forget..the crack is protruding from the bottom of the screen, going upwards almost branch like. So even if this phantom damage did exist, it is still not consistent with the crack which has stopped the screen from working!!! it sounds to us as though they have caused further damage to our plasma and are trying to blame us for it.

Now to recap, we have had three Visual FX engineers in total view our plasma, the first inspected the plasma thoroughly, taking videos along with photos and sent a report of 'NO FRAME DAMAGE' whatsoever to the Visual FX head offices. Leading to further investigations necessary. This needed to be done onsite at Visual FX. The 2nd and 3rd Visual FX engineers, collected the plasma leaving a receipt in which they did not indicate any blemishes, scratches and/or marks on the externals of the plasma whatsoever.

Now, it seems there is damage to the frame/bezel to which they are attributing the crack to. Even though this new damage does not indicate any relative consistency to the initial crack at all. This phantom damage is at top of the frame, whereas the crack is at bottom of the frame, branching out towards the top and sides but the crack does not touch either side or top of the frame.

Visual FX have some serious questions to be answered, As do Richer Sounds.

I have been buying from Richer sounds since the mid to late 80's when they had the store at London Bridge. Its been a while, but i'm sure i bought a pair of Mordaunt Short speakers from them in there early days. And they were absolutely brilliant. Staff were approachable energetic fun and it was the place to buy all your audio visual equipment.

My experiences up until this moment have been spot on. After all I have been a customer since the mid to late 80's. So many monthly pays have gone to them as a testament to there excellent and fair service.

What they are doing contracting repairs to Visual FX is beyond me. Visual FX have nothing but complaint after complaint in regards to their service and audio visual quotes. Check them out in forum, right here in AVFORUMS. Its unbelievable.....

However, my plasma warranty purchase and recent problems needs to be resolved.

What is the law/guide lines as far as an engineer indicating relevant damage to an object on collection. Then attempting to state any damage at a later date.* Surely this cannot be allowed!!

And What about when this damage is not concurrent with the initial issue of the said object.

The first Visual FX engineer stated to me, sometimes the circuits damage within the plasma causing the inner PDP to crack. Thus this was why they needed to investigate the issue further and take the plasma away.

I have googled this and have found multiple threads with the same issue of*a plasma PDP cracking on its own.

At the end of the day, the onus lays with Richer Sounds and
what is it their website says...

'NO ONE LIKES TO THINK OF THEIR TV PURCHASE GOING WRONG.

BUT, ON OCCASION THEY DO, AND WHEN THEY DO, IT'S A HASSLE.

ONE THAT EVERYONE COULD DO WITHOUT'.... oh yeah, what a joke...and what do you get

• We’ll cover your LCD or plasma screen for 5 years full
parts and labour.
• Collect and return your screen [if it’s 32¨ or over],
• Give you a 45-day cooling off period if you have a change
of heart, when you will get a full refund - no questions asked.*
• Give you a like-for-like replacement if we can’t repair it

Well we are still waiting, and getting tired of being fobbed off by a cowboy engineering company, and it should be on Richer Sounds to be doing all the calling around and see THROUGH the simple lies when its staring them in the face!!!* The receipt states
'NO FRAME/BEZEL DAMAGE'. The initial report by the 1st engineer stated 'NO
FRAME/BEZEL DAMAGE'

WHERE IS RICHER SOUNDS LOOKING OUT FOR THE INTEREST OF THEIR
CUSTOMERS, AND TRYING TO UPHOLD THE NAME OF A ONCE TRUSTED RETAILER.* ALL THE FACTS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES, BUT RICHER SOUNDS DO NOT SEEM TO BE INTERESTED.
:lease:

***UPDATED***
Saturday 14th May 2011
This afternoon we received a call from a Customer Services Manager of Richer Sounds.
This gentleman seemed like he was going to address the problem head on.
Looking at it from a common sense point of view. i.e. how does an inner screen (pdp) crack without damage to the outer screen (filter glass). Also, why take the plasma for further investigation, if it had external frame damage. Which potentially was not present after 3 individual Visual FX engineers had inspected the plasma.
:thumbsup:
Anyway, we await this managers final outcome.
We will keep you posted.

Richer Sounds have a representative on the forums.

John Clayton
Operations Director.

He does his utmost to sort out members problems top man.If you had put Richer Sounds in the thread title I am sure he would already be on the case.Maybe worth sending him a PM.

Hope you get it sorted regards Martin

We have seen this before on this model. A report was done in order for the customer to make a claim under The SoGA against a major UK retailer.

The claim was queried but was paid out after we spoke with them, as there were no signs of external damage. Our inspection revealed that there seemed to be some flex in the frame the set, which was wall mounted. The enormous heat generated, coupled with this flex, would appear to have caused the cracking.

The symptoms were exactly as you report, only noticed the morning after the set had been working normally.

We still have photos of the problem on file.

;)

Thank you goes out to pdbmjb and Grumpy Old Troll for the replies.
We have spoken to a customer services manager but I will pm Mr Clayton for further advice.
Only if richer sounds and Visual FX owned up to the model being of fault from the manufacturer. Then it would have saved us all alot of unnecessary stress.
A real shame.

Thank you AVForums, where would we, the unassuming consumer be without your hosting this forum/thread.

Hi MFAF,

I was obviously concerned to read of the problems you have had with your LG plasma TV.

I understand that my Customer Service manager has already spoken to you and arranged a free of charge repair.

Of course, if this is not the case, or should you have any other queries, then please drop me a PM with the details and I will ensure all is resolved for you asap.

Meanwhile, my apologies for the obvious inconvenience.

Many thanks,

John Clayton
Operations Director
Richer Sounds

Hi MFAF,

I was obviously concerned to read of the problems you have had with your LG plasma TV.

I understand that my Customer Service manager has already spoken to you and arranged a free of charge repair.

Of course, if this is not the case, or should you have any other queries, then please drop me a PM with the details and I will ensure all is resolved for you asap.

Meanwhile, my apologies for the obvious inconvenience.

Many thanks,

John Clayton
Operations Director
Richer Sounds

Receiving a reply from the Operations Director,Now this is what I call great customer service :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Hi Mr Clayton, I replied to you via pm.
To be honest, I am not totally satisfied with how this has been resolved thus far.
our tv had no bezel/frame damage whatsoever. It had no minor scratches on the filter glass or on the back. Our tv was in pristine condition. Bar a mysterious crack in the pdp. For it to be repaired and returned on your say so, shows we are being truthful and honest.
Whereas, the engineers, (visual fx) under your supervision have obviously damaged maltreated and caused further distress to our tv.
A simple repair is no longer justified. Who knows what the damage done by visual fx will have on our watching pleasure in the coming months, years.
And the inconvenience of having to keep returning this plasma if it goes wrong in the future. This would only frustrate us as long term customers and embarrass yourselves as household audio visual retailers.

Can this situation be looked at again and something a little more astute be put forward.

Thank you.

Hi Mr Clayton, I replied to you via pm.
To be honest, I am not totally satisfied with how this has been resolved thus far.
our tv had no bezel/frame damage whatsoever. It had no minor scratches on the filter glass or on the back. Our tv was in pristine condition. Bar a mysterious crack in the pdp. For it to be repaired and returned on your say so, shows we are being truthful and honest.
Whereas, the engineers, (visual fx) under your supervision have obviously damaged maltreated and caused further distress to our tv.
A simple repair is no longer justified. Who knows what the damage done by visual fx will have on our watching pleasure in the coming months, years.
And the inconvenience of having to keep returning this plasma if it goes wrong in the future. This would only frustrate us as long term customers and embarrass yourselves as household audio visual retailers.

Can this situation be looked at again and something a little more astute be put forward.

Thank you.

By the time you factor in the replacement screen and labour it would probably be cheaper to replace the tv.
Totally agree with you if vfx have damaged the tv imagine what they could do replacing a screen:eek:

Regards Martin

:)
Well all is well that ends well.
Today I received a call from the customers services manager and after a small conversation.
A deal was struck. S.H. offered me a like for like exchange. IMMEDIATELY. Or a possible negotiated deal on something I had my eye on. The irresistible PHILIPS 56 inch 21:9.
The Philips would be an opened box sales and spending more of that hard earned cash.
After much deliberation and a quiet word in the ear from the wife.
A call was made to S.H. of richer sounds and I had opted for the like for like exchange.
S.H arranged for me to collect it immediately from my local store (holborn).

Once in the store, my daughter and I were struck with the LG 47inch 3d passive model. Aaaargh, I wanted to bring it home SOOOO badly but guess who was there over seeing it all. Yep, the wife.
Nah seriously, looking at viewing angles, standard dvd's and normal tv viewing.
It was a no brainer. Blurry vision from a low angle looking up, lines across the screen in standard tv viewing and the dvd quality reminded us both of our first plasma buy from Singapore in '99. Nothing in comparison to todays tech.

So here we are with a spanking new LG 50PK590 sitting proudly and looking absolutely brilliant on our living room wall. :clap: Very niiiiccce.

I must give a massive Thank you to the staff at Holborn Richer Sounds.
They did as they said they would, 'resolve the situation'. Richer Sounds Policy and process obviously stood in the way of what was a clear cut case. But as a corporate man, I know all issues do not get resolved by the front line. The powers above just don't allow front line staff to give away stock. Once the case had been passed to head office management, it took about 2 working days to resolve. Pretty efficient if you ask me. This was performed by SH. Thank you SH. All in all I would have to say Richer sounds performed well, Visual FX need serious investigation into there shenanigans. Attempting to defraud customers and more importantly, wreck there high street partners good names. High Street A/V retailers contracts more than likely, keep Visual FX afloat. Shame on you Visual FX.

To finish, I would just like to say to anyone who reads this post.
Buy from richer sounds in complete confidence. Make sure you factor in that 10% for the 5 year warranty. Richer sounds will honour it.

Thanks for your support Martin. Your comment kept me focused.

Bye all :thumbsup:

Glad you got it sorted.:smashin:

Richer Sounds is probably the cheapest warranty and their CS is superb.

Btw the 590 is a great tv although I may be a little biased:laugh:

Regards Martin

glad to hear it worked out for you. glad to know there are some honourable retailers out there too :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom