• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Mysterious Island on SKY One HD

Gae

I thought the PQ on this was some of the best HD I've seen so far, especially some of the interior cave shots.
Overall the programmes was fun but I found the CGI creature effects a bit hit-and-miss. Even with 21st Century technology, no-one has managed to improve on the great Ray Harryhausen's creatures. Good fun though.

Gae

Starburst

Distinguished Member
Didn't watch it in SD when it was on earlier this year but I put it in the planner last night, not expecting much but these TV movies/mini-series are not always terrible:)

Giblets2

Vinny's acting was hilarious... hope he doesn't read this :eek: :rolleyes: The swordfights were really 'well choreographed' too - NOT!

neilmcl

Isn't it strange that some Sky HD owners are now content at watching the sort of utter rubbish they would have run a mile from before just because its now in HD. As has been said many times before, you just can't polish a turd. :D

acapaulco

neilmcl said:
Isn't it strange that some Sky HD owners are now content at watching the sort of utter rubbish they would have run a mile from before just because its now in HD. As has been said many times before, you just can't polish a turd. :D

.....but you can sure as hell make it look very shinny indeed:devil:

Starburst

Distinguished Member
neilmcl said:

There is some truth in that:)

The HD aspect of this programme just tipped the balance, I have the disk space and wasn't recording anything else last night so if I then don't like it nothing is lost, the very essence of DVR use:)

neilmcl

Starburst said:

The HD aspect of this programme just tipped the balance, I have the disk space and wasn't recording anything else last night so if I then don't like it nothing is lost, the very essence of DVR use:)
Heh, I even recorded it when it was first shown on SD but I did delete it after the first five minutes viewing :)

Starburst

Distinguished Member
neilmcl said:
Heh, I even recorded it when it was first shown on SD but I did delete it after the first five minutes viewing :)

Ouch:eek:

I watched King Tut so I might manage more than 5 mins of the Island:)

acapaulco

Starburst said:

.....and anyway we should be all making room for some Star Wars HD action coming soon.

You may not like the prequels (i don't mind them) but i know you are gonna watch them.

C

captain kirk

Gae said:
I thought the PQ on this was some of the best HD I've seen so far, especially some of the interior cave shots.
Overall the programmes was fun but I found the CGI creature effects a bit hit-and-miss. Even with 21st Century technology, no-one has managed to improve on the great Ray Harryhausen's creatures. Good fun though.

Gae

anything with patrick stewart in is pritty good watching - imho

the film is very entertaining! thoroughly enjoyed it lastnight on normal sky - it was worth the sub for this month alone. The effects are great - the mantis at the begining was a shocker..... well for me anyway.:D reminds me of the stuff i watched when i was a young boy - "early 70`s" - they just dont makem like that anymore...

pjclark1

This was so bad I only managed to watch 15 mins the first time round.
What a waste of a HD time slot.

What next HD Big Brother & Love Island, I see a future with dire programmes in beautiful HD.

loz

Distinguished Member
captain kirk said:
reminds me of the stuff i watched when i was a young boy - "early 70`s" - they just dont makem like that anymore...

Well that is about the right comparison.

Cheesy but fun.

However, the world has moved on since then (about 3 decades), and I think viewers have a higher level of expectation now when it comes to special effects, etc.

I called my wife in to watch it. I made the mistake of saying "this looks like it might be OK dear..." (she loves things like Jurassic Park, King Kong, etc).

Anyway, no sooner were they up in the balloon, and it was so obvious it was composited (poorly) against a backdrop, than she was off on "oh, please.... why is it every time you say this might be good dear, I know it's going to be a load of rubbish..." :suicide:

loz

Distinguished Member
captain kirk said:
i was slightly ....higher then usual when i watched it..
:rolleyes:

You can strain your neck if you watch it from the wrong angle.
Perhaps you should lower your seat then.

Oh, high, erm, yes, er I don't think you quite meant that...

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom