Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

MYRYAD MDP500 Digital 7.1 Preamp-Processor

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by des_pd_ tdi, Apr 19, 2005.

1. des_pd_ tdi

des_pd_ tdi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a chance to buy this from the States.

I already have a Mi120 at home for my music and I'm very impressed with it. If I go for the MDP500 do I need an amp to partner it or can i just use the MDP500 by itself for AV application?

Cheers

Des

2. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You need power amp too

3. spiver

spiver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The Myryad MDP500 is a superb unit and yes you will need a power amp. If you want full 7.1 decoding you will need the G6 model which also decodes Pro Logic II, DD Ex, Neo 6 etc. but is considerably more expensive. The MDP500 is auto voltage too so you wont need a transformer if importing one. The great thing is you will want to spend your time listening and not messing about with menus because the thing sounds superb straight out of the box. I run a G6 with the Myryad MA500 power amp but the Rotel RMB1075 is a cheaper option and nearly as good. I also use a standard 5.1 MDP500 as a stereo preamp in a music system. I can`t think of a better preamp this side of £1k. One other thing to bear in mind if you are considering matching with other Myryad equipment is that most of the units coming from the US are silver grey fronted but tend to be bright silver in the UK. (I suspect your MI120 is also silver/grey) I can highly recommend their CD players too. :thumbsup: