Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

MyHTPC question

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by RobsterD, Nov 21, 2003.

1. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi
    I'm in the process of configuring MyHTPC with TT and have followed the procedure by Karnis and I got it working fine with one movie ripped to my hard drive.
    Ripped another movie to the same directory and now have two movies within my DVD media file.Press play on the shortcut TT loads but the movie wont play TT just sits there.
    Do you require a path for each individual movie if so where do you enter the info,I seem to be going round in circles
    Cheers
    Rob

2. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rob,

When you rip, make sure that you are creating a video_ts file - eg:-

E:\X-MEN2\VIDEO_TS

You add the directory E:\X-MEN2 in myHTPC.

If no VIDEO_TS folder, just add one and drop all the files in it.

A second DVD should look like this E:\FINDINGNEMO\VIDEO_TS.

I partitioned an E and an F for my films, have 10 now and need a new HDD, you can point to any part of your computer, the browse function makes it very easy.

Let us know how you get on with this.

Well worth the hassle, i've even created an empty VIDEO_TS so that I can have a COMING SOON title showing a thunbnail of a future release, this could hold a trailer if I knew how.

Rgds

3. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Cheers Nathan for your reply
    The problem appeared to be a ripping one.I was ripping with DVD decrypter in file mode and only selecting movie only.When I ripped the whole movie it works,the only difference I can see is in "movie only" a VTS-01-0 dvd nav file is present in the VIDEO_TS directory,but at full rip a video_ts bup,vob&dvd nav file are present in the VIDEO_TS directory,have since tried DVD Shrink with succesfull results,though with a "no compression rip" I'm sure DVD Decrypter looks better.
    Other than that it seems pretty cool,just ordered two Samsung 160g Spinpoints @ Komplett on a special.At this rate I might flog my trusty old Pio 737
    Cheers
    Rob

4. Epithet

Epithet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rob

I recognise the problem you encountered with "movie only" ripping using DVD decypter. As you discovered, following the rip the IFO files and VTS files are either missing or require editinig. I thought that the more recent versons of decrypter had resolved this but I may be wrong.

The solution involves an additional step in the ripping process to restore a full sets of files to the decrypter "movie only" rip.

Step 1 Use Dvd decryter in file mode to rip "movie only" (Personally, I rip the whole DVD and strip out unwanted streams using Ifoedit - Step 2.)

Step 2 Download and run "Ifoedit" from Doom9. Open the "ifo" file obtained from step 1 to create a new "ifo" file. This process is a little daunting at first and takes about the same time as the original rip but read the guides at doom9 and you should get the hang of it. Ifoedit should also produce a new VTS file for the movie.

At the end of step 2 you should hava file containing all the "movie only" files you normally expect to see in the VIDEO_TS folder.

Ifoedit is a very powerful tool which is particulary useful when the original moving includes multiple angles or branching (Matrix white rabbit). If the movie is straightforward I would have expected DVDshrink with compression ratio set to one to give a "movie only" rip of equivalent quality to DVD dectypter but I would welcome other peoples view on this.

regards

Tony M

5. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I use DVDShrink and with no compression I cant say I've noticed poorer quality than the DVD itself let alone DVDDecrypter :confused:

Steve

6. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Ripped Toy Story with DVD shrink and DVD decrypter and compared PQ with TT video settings @
    Brightness 7.5
    Contrast 100
    Hue 0
    Saturation 100
    Gamma 81 as supplied by Jeff
    the picture didn't seem to have the depth with DVD shrink compared to DVD decrypter,but I'm still on a learning curve so there might be other variables the are affecting PQ
    Should TT save video settings as every time I restart TT the video settings are back to default
    Will also give Ifoedit a go,though you're right it does look daunting Tony,just happy I'm at this stage,its been a long old trip !

7. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Rob what are you viewing it on?

Steve

8. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Panny Plasma series4 @ 848x480

9. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I looking at it thro a Barco 808s 1280x720 on a six foot screen, I'll have another look later. I must be honest I've not done a detailed ab test but my initial reaction was no difference, I suppose I should've done a better check before ripping 80+ disks !!

Anybody else comment?

Steve

10. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I'll also try another ab this time with Finding Nemo,have you got the disc or could recommend one we both have.
    Rob

11. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I've got finding nemo.

I might not get round to it until Wed day, got a lot to sort out today/tomorrow.

I post results on Weds

Steve

12. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been busy "working today" but did not realise this would make a difference.

Is this a known issue?

Only up to 10 films so would like to know if anyone else has an opinion before getting a pair of 250gb sata hdd, that should give me 100+ films.

Steve, what front end are you using to preview titles?

Just showed my mate the secrets of back up lastnight, he has a collection of 700 dvd's - doubt he'll back all up............

rgds

Rgds

13. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Nathan,

I've ripped with DVDShrink with zero compression onto external firewire maxtor 250gb drives, playback is Theatertek and MainLobby suite on HTPC with MP-1 modded 9500 into BG808s

Most of the viewing so far is by the kids on their PC but when I first setup I played a few DVD's against DVDDecripter and they looked fine, I then discovered DVDShrink (easier to rip) and again did a quick comparison with no diff (I thought)

I'll do a a/b test with a few disks/rips on wednesday and post.

Steve

14. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I've done a few discs with dvdshrink and haven't done an ab test but cannot say I noticed a difference.

15. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    In Configuration/General tab select "set new defaults" but if yoyu've modified settings for a disk it remembers them on a per disk basis as part of the bookmarking.

16. realblur

realblur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there,

i'm new to all this and was wondering, if i wanted to use my pc to do recording and archiving of tv programs, how should i go about it?

my pc specs are as follows:
    celeron 1.7 ghz
    512 mb ddr ram
    20 gb hdd
    geforce 2 card (no tv out so guess i'll have to change it)
    sb live sound card

was thinking of using showshifter for the job. i know i need a tv capture card as well right???? anything else??? sure appreciate any help. thanks.

17. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Been doing an a/b comparison of dvd decrypter and dvd shrink with a new rip of Finding Nemo all afternoon,works quiet:)
    I must admit I can see no real difference between either programs,if there is,it is minimal and a more trained eye may see the subtle differences.
    Went back to my original rips of Toy Story and compared again,there was a difference with Decrypter showing the better PQ.Deleted both rips and again ripped Toy Story back to my hard drive the result being the same as Finding Nemo.
    Conclusion: both seem to give comparable PQ's,just dont understand why my original rip of TS was better with Decrypter,is there such a thing as a bad rip,nothing was done differently on both tests,strange:confused:
    Rob

18. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Were you doing anything else at the same time? I'm as firm believer of single tasking when it comes down to ripping!!

I'll hopefully be doing a comparison tomorrow
    Steve

19. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    OK I've just looked at a DVDShrink rip v the original DVD, both with Theatertek via Barco and to be honest I couldn't see any difference, at least not obvious.

Looks like it was a bad rip!!

Steve

20. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    If you're ripping without compression, can't you just do a binary comparison of the ripped files to 'see' if there's a difference ?