1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MyHTPC - great free frontend software

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by owain_thomas, Mar 5, 2003.

1. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Any one had a look at MyHTPC - it's a great frontend for HCPCs, very easy to configure and the support is amazing, lots of feedback from the developer, instant responses to queries and suggestions. Best of all it's FREE :eek:

So far it's fairly new but it's still possible to run WMP9 or winamp seemlessly as part of the interface, there's even someone developing an EPG based on xmltv to work with it, with a little tweaking I got this to work with UK listings.

Owain

2. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Downloaded this last night ... I can concur that it looks fantastic!

I do have a problem with it though - when navigating throughout the screens and scrolling up and down the file lists it seems to be slow.

I've found (by accident) that if I use the embedded WMP9 player and select full screen visulization, then when exiting that everything seems to speed up dramatically.

Anyone know what WMP9 full screen visulization does in terms of system speed?

Owain - did you experience anything like this?

3. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    hi mark,

I didn't get any problems like this when I used it. At the moment I'm running it on my desktop PC which is an athlon 1600+ with 320MB RAM running XP pro, what system are you running?

If your system is normally fast enough then maybe post on the support forum for MyHTPC - pablo usually responds quite quickly to people's queries.

Glad you found it useful, have you had a look at the EPG that fasttech is making? Have a look at the plug-ins forum on the MyHTPC website and look under the EPG thread for a link, I've managed to get this working for a selection of UK channels and I'm quite impressed so far.

Let us know how you get on,

Owain

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Been using this over the weekend .

Its great!

Almost does everything you could want from a front-end gui.
    Admittedly I'm only using it with TT , Dscaler and occasional serenescreen use to amuse the children.

Pretty easy to configure ( a little clunky at first but after you figure it out its a breeze).

Now if I can just get a personalised animating background sequence in... it will be just about perfect.

5. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    just to let people know, this piece of software now has a fully integrated working EPG that can work with any countries TV data that can be got from XMLTV (which is pretty much most of the free world)

takes a little time to setup but the results are superb - scale is fully customisable, so for lucky people with hi-res desktops you could have a lot more rows than in this screenshot. Equally it works well at lower resolutions like 720x480.

Download Here

[​IMG]

6. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Owain,

Sorted out all my speed problems - had to do a fresh install of XP and kept it to bare minimum programs loaded. :D

myHTPC is the dogs danglies! :clap:

Just like Girder, once you get over the initial learning curve it really is a breeze to set up and it's got a major WAF! :smashin:

Have you got the EPG working with UK listings? If so, it would be brilliant if you could post back as to how you got it configured and working :lesson:

Thanks

7. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    i ended up having to make my own scripts for xmltv as the ones provided with the various releases didn't work for me. As you said it was quite a bit of fiddling about, but now it works nice and smoothly.

Here's a quick step by step:

Download this

In the unzipped xmltv directory, make a .bat file (mine's called uk_conf.bat) to configure the channels you will want to download. All this needs is the following line:

NOTE: with both of these .bat files you should leave out the word "quote:" at the begining, just copy from after the : onwards and paste straight into notepad, then save as a .bat file.

This will create a file called tv_grab_uk.conf which contains a list of all the channels you will download data for, the process can take a while, especially waiting for the channel list to be downloaded, but be patient. It's a godd idea to check that the .conf file has been properly created - open it in notepad and look at the channels listed, do they match the one's you chose?

Make another bat file (in the xmltv dir) which will download the actual data:
    Mine's called get_uk.bat, but call it whatever you want, then just run it. If the configuration bat file worked ok then all the channels you chose in the previous step will now be downloaded, again, this can take a while. You can alter the name of the output file if you want and also the number of days to download data for, I've been using 2 days while I got things up and running, but will now probably extend it to do 7 at a time.

Now all you need to do is create a directory in the MyHTPC install directory called data/tv/listings and copy the listings.xml file there.

After this, setup myhtpc with a new MyTV module, have a look at this page for instructions on that.

Away you go.

HTH
    Owain

8. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Many thanks Owain! I'll have to try it!

Do you have to run the BATs every week then or can you get myHTPC to automate that?

9. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    at the moment you need to manually run the bat every few days, but soon this will be integrated into myhtpc.

I have added the following line to my bat file:

copy listings.xml "d:\program files\myhtpc\data\tv\listings\listings.xml"

This automatically updates the xml file in the myhtpc directory and means one less step. I've put a shortcut to this on the desktop (make sure you don't just copy it there or it won't be running in the correct directory) so now all I've got to do is run this every few days. I'm about to start looking at automating it completely using scheduler.

You could just get the xmltv program to write the file straigh to the listings dir, but that can cause problems if myhtpc is running and the file gets updated, so it's safer this way.

HTH
    Owain