1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Z2 review...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Off The Fence, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Off The Fence

Off The Fence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi Folks

Well, after a couple of years (!) of lurking the forums, I finally climbed down off the fence & picked up a Sanyo Z2 (from Ivojo, who, BTW are excellent...but we all knew that :D ).

Thought I'd give something back by offering up my own thoughts.

Kit:

Sanyo Z2.
    Sony DVP NS730, using progressive component out.
    Da-Lite Model C, 106 inch diagonal 16:9 screen, HCMW finish (high contrast matte white), viewed from around 1.4x screen width (although it's called 'white' it's actually grey).
    Lots of speakers & a big amp.

This is my first front projector, although I've owned a rear projection TV for around 4 years (LCD also). The blacks on that aint great, which is one reason why I've waited so long to buy a front PJ (didn't want to risk DLP rainbows).

Anyway. The picture. Wow. This *really is* home cinema :D .I can honestly say this thing gives your average multiplex screen a run for it's money. Colours are lovely; had to take some red out, but felt no need to go into the service menu.

Tried low lamp mode. Very, very quiet & still pretty damn bright. I preffered auto mode though for extra punch in bright scenes. Fan noise does go up a fair bit in this mode, but you soon forget about it.

As I only use the PJ for night movie sessions, I use the iris fully shut to get the darkest blacks possible (OK...darkest greys possible). Nice feature that. Doesn't take much off the brightness. It's still *plenty* bright (which was one of my main concerns).

Vertical banding's minimal/negligable. Maybe I got lucky, or I'm just not sensitive, but my wife didn't see anything either, so draw your own conclusions...

Screendoor. Didn't notice any unless I walked up to the screen. I'd say not at all an issue from 1.4x and beyond (IMHO 1.4x seems perfect for this PJ. BIG cinema feeling. Minimal artifacts.)

Scaler works really well, doing a fine job of scaling PAL & NTSC disks up to the native panel resolution. Right now I can't see any reason for going over to DVI (10m cable run would make it tricky for me anyway).

Contrast & blacks. Absolute black level is pretty damn good for LCD. Better than I expected. Kicks my TV to touch. Still grey though :rolleyes: . It does, however, do a great job of keeping the detail down in the shadows. On my TV you get 'grey soup'. Not on the PJ though. On the whole, perfectly acceptable.

Now for the only downside. After 15 minutes I had 2 dust blobs. A week later there's another. They can be quite noticable in dark scenes (one's in the 2.4:1 cinemascope mask area - which sucks :mad: ).

This is something I was expecting, although not quite so soon. I'm used to cleaning them off the panels of my TV, so I'm not afraid to 'open her up' and get the air duster out. But as it's so new, I'm toying with taking it to a Sanyo service centre...

Does anyone know if it's the same procedure as the Z1 (which looks pretty straight forward)?
    Has anyone actually tried it?

Anyway hope that helps any other fence sitters

Cheers :smashin:

2. Quatermass

Quatermass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good review OTF - bit disappointing that you got dust problems so quickly - the Z2 is supposed to be more "dust proof" than Z1!

3. Off The Fence

Off The Fence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Couldn't help myself.

Just whipped the lid of and gave it a blast with the can'o air.

After a quick inspection...blobs have gone! :D :D :D

Word of warning though to anyone thinking of DIYing it :lesson:

The cable from the lid PCB to the PCB in the PJ is quite flimsy. When I 1st put the lid back on it wouldn't fire up!

Practically poo'd me pants :rolleyes:

Took the lid back off, pushed in the connectors at both ends firmly & tried again. It worked :D

What's a tad worrying is they didn't feel loose the 1st time :confused:

One of the cables looked a bit crimped, so I straightened it as well. If is was that, it might cause me problems in the future... :rolleyes:

Anyway, something to watch out for fellow Z2 converts.

Right...Time to nip to Blockbusters & get out 'Pirates Of The Carribian'. Give it a *proper* test :cool:

4. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Might as well make this a generic "My Review" thread :D

I got my Z2 on Tuesday, it replaces my Sony Cineza HS1. Well what can I say, the difference is like chalk and cheese!! No screen door at all, projecting a 7ft image, sitting 14ft back. The colours are vibrant, blacks are so much better than the HS1, and boy is it quiet. Even SWMBO said the picture is a lot better, now that is saying something!! Watched R1 LOTR TT EE last night was simply brilliant, so cinematic :D

I have had to tone down the reds, this was simply through the normal menus. Ran it quickly through Video Essentials and with the Reds turned down the grey pattern looked a lot better!

I have the aperture closed completely, to me it gives better blacks, opening it up simply seems to make the picture lighter.

Virtical Banding (VB) was noticeable, especially when I first connected up the projector direct to my Tosh 220 DVD player. I am connectig via component. This then meant the Projector used the internal scaler of the projector, playing with the Progressive options changing from L1 to L2 appeared to affect the VB, . However the biggest improvement to VB was when I connected in my Iscan Pro unit, this really did improve the VB, it didn't remove it totally, but definately reduced it so that I was no longer aware of it.

As for issues, I have one niggle, I appear to have a section of the screen, top left hand corner, that has a yellow tone to the image. For example if the scene is of a sky, the right hand side is blue, and as you follow the sky to the left, it gradually turns a shade of bluey-green?? This colour change isn't "in-your-face" and very subtle, but once I've noticed it, I can't ignore it!!! I don't think it can be dust as it is over the top-left quadrant of the screen. Does anybody have any ideas?? :confused:

Other than that, I am well happy :clap:

5. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Glad to hear happy tales from the Z2 owners, as I hope to join the club in a week or so!

As for the yellow tinge, I have read others with various LCD PJ's including the HS20 complain about the same thing. I think you should contact Sanyo, as it sounds like a fault rather than an incorrect setting?

Good Luck!

6. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Before I hit the Yellow Pages, does anybody have contact details for Sanyo (UK!)?? There wasn't a Service Centre contact booklet with the Z2?

cheers

7. Off The Fence

Off The Fence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    sanyo.co.uk has a searchable database of approved service centres.