My Yamaha YAPO can't find my woofer

MMAV622

Novice Member
Reaction score
I’m using a Yamaha A-RX2080 AV Receiver and a Sunfire XT-ATMOS-265 subwoofer. My speaker system is 5.1. The performance of my AV amp and woofer is good. But there is one thing I don’t understand.

When I use my Yamaha 2080 to run test tone on my speaker, all other speakers (front, center and surround) has no problem except my woofer. I can’t hear any sound comes out from my woofer until I adjust my woofer at a very high volume (about 80 to 90%). But even when I switch my woofer’s volume very loud, I’m failed to measure my woofer’s EQ by using YAPO. The YAPO can find other 5 speakers except my woofer. I'm unable to use YAPO-Flat, Front or Natural in Yamaha's Parameters EQ because the YAPO can’t detect my woofer. And I need to use Manual mode in Yamaha’s Parameters EQ . However, I don’t have problem when I watch movie. The woofer seem to work every well when I watch movie. I also try to plug my woofer into different woofer input on my AV receiver but the result is same. I have contact Yamaha and Sunfire local distributor but they can’t answer me. Yamaha’s distributor said this is woofer’s problem. But Sunfire’s distributor said this is amp’s issue. Any input about this? Thanks.

When I use my Yamaha 2080 to run test tone on my speaker, all other speakers (front, center and surround) has no problem except my woofer. I can’t hear any sound comes out from my woofer until I adjust my woofer at a very high volume

I am not familiar with Yamaha receivers but the same thing occurs on Denon receivers. The sub is barely audible when using the test tones. I can adjust the loudness of the test tones by using the master volume control without affecting any of the settings. See if this works for you. :)

I am not familiar with Yamaha receivers but the same thing occurs on Denon receivers. The sub is barely audible when using the test tones. I can adjust the loudness of the test tones by using the master volume control without affecting any of the settings. See if this works for you. :)
Unfortunately, I also tried to increase my AV amp volume when I do the test tone but it doesn't work. I need to increase my woofer volume to very loud then I can hear the sound during test tone. However, as I said the YAPO microphone is unable to detect my woofer even I set my woofer at a very high volume.

I’m using a Yamaha A-RX2080 AV Receiver and a Sunfire XT-ATMOS-265 subwoofer. My speaker system is 5.1. The performance of my AV amp and woofer is good. But there is one thing I don’t understand.

When I use my Yamaha 2080 to run test tone on my speaker, all other speakers (front, center and surround) has no problem except my woofer. I can’t hear any sound comes out from my woofer until I adjust my woofer at a very high volume (about 80 to 90%). But even when I switch my woofer’s volume very loud, I’m failed to measure my woofer’s EQ by using YAPO. The YAPO can find other 5 speakers except my woofer. I'm unable to use YAPO-Flat, Front or Natural in Yamaha's Parameters EQ because the YAPO can’t detect my woofer. And I need to use Manual mode in Yamaha’s Parameters EQ . However, I don’t have problem when I watch movie. The woofer seem to work every well when I watch movie. I also try to plug my woofer into different woofer input on my AV receiver but the result is same. I have contact Yamaha and Sunfire local distributor but they can’t answer me. Yamaha’s distributor said this is woofer’s problem. But Sunfire’s distributor said this is amp’s issue. Any input about this? Thanks.
What woofer connection are you using?

I had similar issues while running YPAO on my Yamaha Aventage 3070 with Monoprice Monolith 15 subwoofer. I sorted it out by turning the power toggle switch to always on during YAPO calibration. I could then hear the test tone. In Auto on subwoofer is in standby mode and a very brief test tone usually does not wake up subwoofer’s amplifier. Another reason could be poor contacts in RCA cable. Yamaha signal is 1volt that doesn’t help if cable contacts are not good enough, this is at least my experience. I hope it helps

I had similar issues while running YPAO on my Yamaha Aventage 3070 with Monoprice Monolith 15 subwoofer. I sorted it out by turning the power toggle switch to always on during YAPO calibration. I could then hear the test tone. In Auto on subwoofer is in standby mode and a very brief test tone usually does not wake up subwoofer’s amplifier. Another reason could be poor contacts in RCA cable. Yamaha signal is 1volt that doesn’t help if cable contacts are not good enough, this is at least my experience. I hope it helps
ANKN:
Thanks for input. My woofer is Sunfire XT ATMOS 265, which has no auto button. It only has power on/ off switch. It mean when no signal, the power light is red. When a signal enters the woofer, it changes to blue light.

ANKN:
Thanks for input. My woofer is Sunfire XT ATMOS 265, which has no auto button. It only has power on/ off switch. It mean when no signal, the power light is red. When a signal enters the woofer, it changes to blue light.
That sounds like it works in an Auto mode by default as in only powering up when it receives an audio signal. If it's anything like my sub it takes a fairly high signal to from my AVR to trigger it in auto mode so I never use it.
The best bet would be to connect the trigger input on the sub (assuming it has one) to the AVR's trigger out so that the sub is powered up when the AVR is turned on. That should make sure the sub is on all the time.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom