1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Worst Nightmare

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by zorg2000k, Sep 26, 2003.

1. zorg2000k

zorg2000k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    After returning home from a work night out on Wednesday I found that my place had been visited by the local thief !!!!!!

To my surprise the plasma was still on the wall but all my av equipment has gone :( , thats what insurance if for.

What he/she did manage to do was spray paint my plasma

:mad:

Have any of you guys got an idea on how to get rid of the paint from the glass ?, have left a message with Hitachi but if I cant get it off I'll have to claim on household insurance, but I know they'll be asking to try get it cleaned first.

TIA

Zorg

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Envy of this type is pretty awful and pointless. Do you think it's a car paint aerosol, ie cellulose? The front glass is just glass, pretty tough to chemicals, but the bezel will be a plastic material, and could melt in cellulose thinners. The option is, if you can't clean the bezel, to have it re-sprayed properly. That's £100-£200, and whatever colour you like. Don't go cleaning the glass before another opinion though, and make your best guess on the paint. Also, check with the insurers where you stand if you ruin it with your best efforts. They ought to back you up for trying sensibly.

3. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Really sorry to hear that, mate. :( Hope you get sorted out. Its really petty that just because they couldn't get the plasma, they decided you couldn't enjoy it either.

Just out of interest, did you have a burgler alarm or anything?

4. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sorry to hear that mate.

Talk to Hitachi, but I'm going to hazard a guess that anything you use to take the paint off will also remove the front coating that alot of plasma screens have. Also you should consider CCTV, there are many affordable PC based systems that are well worth the money.

Neil.

5. Member 6435

Member 6435

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Zorg

You must have been gutted when you got home. As you say a real nightmare.

I would go along with Neil that you should contact Hitachi and see what they say. Although I am no insurance expert I would have thought that your insurance company should cover the cost of having your plasma cleaned professionaly as it is damage related to the theft. Perhaps another forum member could add more on this.

Hope everything gets sorted without too much agro and you soon have your kit up and running again.

regards

Alastair

6. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Zorg2000k,

SPEAK TO YOUR INS CO BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING.

Sorry about the shouting, but make sure you do this first as they may have contacts to rectify the position and you won't be putting yourself in a position where you could compromise your indemnification.

Wouldn't you have likeed to have caught the wnkaers in the act just as you happened to have a baseball bat and two hungry rottweillers to hand? Burglars make my blood boil.

Good luck
    John

7. zorg2000k

zorg2000k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks for the support guy's, waiting for insurance company bloke to come round before i try anything.

Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Zorg

8. mikeblanche

mikeblanche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alas trying that approach these days is likely to end up with you in jail and the burgular suing you for everything you own. (see Tony Martin)

mike

9. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But that knife the police found in his unconscious hand :devil: