My wife is stripping and wants you to......

Jacob

Standard Member
Reaction score
advise her on the best place to buy acetone as the muppet who owned the house before us glued carpet to the tiled floor in the kitchen!!

We've ripped the carpet up but the glue is left. It took her about 2 hours to scrape it off 3 tiles so the thought of doing another 100 isn't appealing.

All the DIY sites say to use acetone but the various DIY stores don't seem to sell it?

Any ideas what type of store sells it or if it there is a specific product on the market that is as good as?

cheers

I'd try and get hold of a big professional floor scraper. Acetone will fill your house full of fumes and blow your head off :eek:

Damn dont know where to get acetone from, but I was really getting exited when I saw your topic.;)

Arhh back to my old sad life now.

I believe acetone is the main ingredient of nail varnish remover. If she has some of that in the house, maybe try a bit and see how you get on....

Acetone is indeed nail polish remover. This will soften the glue and create a very big sticky mess that could be even more difficult to clear up.

innuendo anyone :rolleyes:

Try some paint and varnish remover...make sure you have good pair of gloves,goggles,and plenty of ventilation.....

Will work...just a bit messy..:)

Go to your local tool hire shop and tell them your situation, they will have something to do the job.

Thanks guys,

normally, I don't get replies to my posts for at least a day!

I do know it's in nail varnish remover, but didn't think it would be potent enough.

Anyway, i'll give some of your ideas a go.

cheers

JAcob

Incidentally, what sort of floor tiles are they?

Get one of those big sanding machines, and just sand the glue down to dust.

Monster said:
Incidentally, what sort of floor tiles are they?

good point, they are actually ceramic floor tiles.

I'm not sure sanding them would do the trick either, plus it would be quite costly!

cheers
Jacob

:lesson: Be very very careful in handling acetone. Not only is it dangerous to inhale, it also is highly flammable. And by dangerous to inhale, I don't mean you might feel light headed, but if you start using it in large quantities, you can end up with a stint in hospital - or worse.

I think the advice about asking a local DIY store is very sound.

Sorry to sound like a clucking mother hen, just trying to help.

Jacob said:
good point, they are actually ceramic floor tiles.

I'm not sure sanding them would do the trick either, plus it would be quite costly!

cheers
Jacob

My advice....put the carpet back :cool:

Seriously, it might be more trouble than its worth to re-use whats there. Break out and replace or if possible in your circumstances, garnet and overlay.

do you like the tiles? if not smash em up and lay new ones/something different... could be fun :confused:

i take no responsibility if you run into trouble tho :D

Acetone will dissolve the tiles as well. Take the tiles up and replace them - much easier.

Garnet is a very coarse and abrasive sand paper. You can sand over the old tiles to scratch the surface and lay new ones over, providing the old are well stuck down and you can tolerate the increase in floor height.

Put down some sort of scree that will build the floor up rather than invest hours of hard work trying to remove glue.

Acetone can be very dangerous and the quantity that you may need to remove the glue could end up costing a lot.

I think you mean "screed".

Isn't scree the loose stones & rocks that you get on mountainsides ?

Chris Muriel, Manchester

trashbat said:
just chuck a can of nitro-mors down on the floor that might do it :D

Nitro-mors is rubbish , more hassle than its worth. Manages about one layer of gloss paint if you are lucky.

Mr.D said:
Nitro-mors is rubbish , more hassle than its worth. Manages about one layer of gloss paint if you are lucky.

True, but drip one drip on a vinyl floor, and it burns right through :D

Nick_UK said:
True, but drip one drip on a vinyl floor, and it burns right through :D

That's what I mean the stuff is too dangerous to use considering how nasty it is and how useless it is for actually stripping.
Burns like hell if it lands on your skin...which it will ...evil nasty stuff avoid.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom