1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My widescreen has died

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Amarok, Jun 28, 2003.

1. Amarok

Amarok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Hitachi 24" widescreen that has been switching itsef off for some time as well as the scart connections being very flimsy,resulting in having to tweak them to at least get a picture from my DVD of VCR.

Now it seems to have died as the power standby light doesnt even come on at all.I also detected a slight burning smell comming from the back of the set.

I am no rocket scientist but I would expect it to have lasted more than 3 years 9 months.I will NEVER buy Hitachi again,a total waste of money.It will cost me a fortune to get it fixed so I will have to bin it and get another more reliable one which is where you people could help.

As a plasma screen is way out of my price range,I would just like some advice where I can get a better quality (picture and build) widescreen for a very good price.It is very annoying to have to fork out again after such a short time.

Thanks.

2. PaulJ

PaulJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

What size tv are you looking for and whats your budget?

Is sound important or do you have separates?

The best thing to do is go on pricerunner and enter your budget, this will bring up most tv's within that range.

If you see anything that takes your fancy, you could then do a search on this forum for people opinions. Thats how I started.

Happy Hunting.

Paul :hiya:

3. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Hitachi are quite reliable sets. I think the which reliability survey of 2001 I think it was had them as the most reliable set at the time. Remember that even the best of brands have faulty sets. I think the most reliable sets are something like 97% reliable which still means 3 people in every 100 get problems. I'm not saying that Hitachi are the best out there now but they are pretty respectable. The 2002 which reliability survey had hitachi in fourth place. However Matsui was number one but only had 45 people as the sample size. Thomson and Toshiba were both on 97% reliability but only Toshiba had a large sample size and then fourth was Hitachi again with a large sample size. So really you could make the claim that Hitachi are second only to Toshiba in reliability. Basically I wouldn't rule out Hitachi you may end up with something worse.

4. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    I'm amazed that Matsui could come out top in any test, let alone one for reliability!!! :eek:

5. Amarok

Amarok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was looking at a Panasonic 32" 100 hertz today and it looked very impressive.Are Panasonic a good make?

6. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Had my 32" for 2 years now, well happy with it.
    I originally auditioned it next to a Sony Wega, and the Panny picture was IMHO better.

7. Acdbulls

Acdbulls

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Samsung is a great option too, i saw a few models yesterday and has a great number of options