1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My wall mount bracket installation

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Lakes_Puma, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Lakes_Puma

Lakes_Puma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Just thought I could share my experiences with the rest of you, hey that's what these forums are for right?

Anyway I recently purchased a Sharp 37P50E with the intention of all mounting it from day one.

Unfortunately I live in a modern house that is made out of plasterboard and thermal block (like very soft breezeblock that you can scratch with a pen knife!)

Now I didn't want my pride and joy falling off the wall so after some research I decided to use Polyester Resin (like this) and steel studs.

I also looked long and hard to find a bracket that looked sturdy but not too expensive, I finally went with this one It's well made and come with loads of fixings.

so here are my installation steps, I hope they are of help -> install

2. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    This is very interesting indeed,

It made me think about the place I plan to wall mount mine soon to purchase LCD and I think it only Plaster bord on wood framing know what I mean, I guess this is going to be a no no what do you all think?

3. Lakes_Puma

Lakes_Puma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    with a construction you described you should just be able to find the wooden framework using a stud finder and use nice long wood screws deep into them, the wall mounting bracket I used will allow you to do this.

4. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    Yeah I could do but the wood frame work could be too far apart to be able to fit the bracket what do you reckon?

5. Lakes_Puma

Lakes_Puma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    If you can find the measurements, I could let you know if my wall bracket would fit

6. thelurch

thelurch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    It depends on how much work you want to put yourself through wall mounting, if your vertical wooden stud work is too far apart, a chippy would be able to tell you how far apart they are likely to be. You could cut out the small section of plasterboard and put in 2 horizontal pieces of wood between the two studs. They could be positioned according to the holes on the bracket so you screw into them instead of the uprights As long as you secure these horizontal pieces of wood well it should work. ( hope this is making sense!)

Then replace the plasterboard and make good, as its behind the TV it shouldnt be seen....as I said it depends how much work you want to put yourself through!

If you do that then you could potentially conceal all cables behind the plasterboard and have them come out a hole behind the unit?

This mehtod is just something ive thought about whilst reading your post, I havent tried it so its just a suggestion.

The worlds your starfish

7. bledd

bledd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    It doesn't need to be that complicated, studs are usual 600mm apart and with a 12.5mm plaster board and using toggle bolts directly through the plaster board they will easily hold an lcd up. To give you an idea a double 1500mm radiator full of water ways a minimum of three times what an lcd would and they have no problem holding the the rad up. With regard to the cables since there are studs already you will be able to pass the cables down behind the current board and cut a hole in the bottom to pass them through

8. Derek22

Derek22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Just one furtehr thing to check if you are using the studwork space to drop cables through, check first if you have the vertical space all the way down to where you want to come out.

On wooden partition walls they put in horizontal pieces, called noggins I think. And if you have one of them between your two draw points not sure how you would get your cables through.

9. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    Sorry am a bit of noob on this sorry. So are you saying I can just put a toggle bolt on the plaster board and dont need to worry about screen into the wood? please show me a eample on this please and toggle bolts

Cheers

10. pacman

pacman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1