• Watch our Live Stream podcast now. This week we interview Chris Mullins from Sony Professional about the latest native Sony 4K projectors and we discuss the best Hi-Fi products of the year. Join us and ask the team questions

My very very bad experiences with C7 and B7 Oled

jones123

Standard Member

Hi guys,

thought id share (very briefly) my experience with LG OLED and i'm about to give up now .
so 2 months ago i bit the bullet and got a C7 55' and returned it 7 days later with very dim pixels in left top corner. It was replaced with the most gorgeous panel i've seen and i said WOW this is more than i was expecting. colours/black levels/banding all very amazing and i thought i hit the jackpot.
now bear in mind this has completely spoilt me as i sat in awe every night even watching 480p and being impressed. then 6 weeks later with a few bright flashes and lines it just died.
lg assessed and said i should return to store and get a replacement.
attached are some pics of banding which was clearly visible when watching the football.
I returned it to the store and they offered to replace again which i refused thinking maybe the store received a bad batch.
So i went to a different chain store who had a B7 on promotion so thinking well there's a bargain and its the same pic quality with a different look, why not ?
after setup and tweaking i already noticed the panel wasn't as sharp and detailed as the C7 especially the football ( the grass blurred on panning motion. never happened on the c7 )
there is banding and some strange circles on the screen ( are these causing the loss in sharpness) and also the up scaling was nowhere near the c7 either.

so 2 questions arise did i get a bad B7 or are there inherent differences in the electronics that we dont know about ( the Panel is the same but internals differ )

should i just give up already ?

Last edited:

Saalty

I think you've had a bad B7 there. They are the same TV, all of the 2017 were the same. The B8 does differ this year from all the others though if you do end up going for this years model instead.

You could try a different companies oled ie. Panasonic, phillips or Sony although some are more expensive unless it's the apps/features etc you liked with the LG..
I recently bought the Panasonic ez952 from having a kuro and although the LG models were very pretty screens with it's styling and the Sony had great sound it was the ez952 I was after for the cinematic plasma like picture.. so if it's an LG you are set on and like tge picture/styling let the supplier get another panel as you may have just been unlucky.

jones123

Standard Member
You could try a different companies oled ie. Panasonic, phillips or Sony although some are more expensive unless it's the apps/features etc you liked with the LG..
I recently bought the Panasonic ez952 from having a kuro and although the LG models were very pretty screens with it's styling and the Sony had great sound it was the ez952 I was after for the cinematic plasma like picture.. so if it's an LG you are set on and like tge picture/styling let the supplier get another panel as you may have just been unlucky.

unfortunately for me we only get LG OLED in South Africa :(

lgans316

Distinguished Member
2018 and we are still depending on lady luck and Panel lottery....

jones123

Standard Member
i couldn't agree more.

and now all the stores are sold out, because they were on promotion and new stock is 30% more

i just cant win

Coulson

Distinguished Member
i couldn't agree more.

and now all the stores are sold out, because they were on promotion and new stock is 30% more

i just cant win
Maybe that's why they were on promotion? They were seconds.

jones123

Standard Member
i actually did this this morning :D
will hear verdict tomorrow

and 2 days later ....... still waiting

Last edited:

jones123

Standard Member
Because the c8 is the latest gen tv from lg we cannot offer you a discount on the price. Sorry you have had bad luck with our OLED TVS but we can offer you another c7 at your original purchase price.

That what the response from LG was.

No thanks LG. I think I'll wait for price drop on c8. Or take my business elsewhere.

Because the c8 is the latest gen tv from lg we cannot offer you a discount on the price. Sorry you have had bad luck with our OLED TVS but we can offer you another c7 at your original purchase price.

No thanks LG. I think I'll wait for price drop on c8. Or take my business elsewhere.

That sucks... know not any good to you but feel bad for you... let's hope there's no time limit in exchanging..

lgans316

Distinguished Member

You must take your custom elsewhere then. At this day and age, and for the silly money we pay, panel lottery must be a thing of the past.

You must take your custom elsewhere then. At this day and age, and for the silly money we pay, panel lottery must be a thing of the past.
Couldn't agree more... all some people want to do is the basics... and watch the tv..
I wonder if they test the panels before they go out... tbh for what they charge shouldn't be allowed out the warehouse if it causes this many problems.. not just the customers experience but they're own name being tarnished

steelman1991

Couldn't agree more... all some people want to do is the basics... and watch the tv..
I wonder if they test the panels before they go out... tbh for what they charge shouldn't be allowed out the warehouse if it causes this many problems.. not just the customers experience but they're own name being tarnished
I don't believe the 'ordinary' owner is even aware of the issues - unless they visit this site ;).

My brother-in-law has lived with a TV that is split right down the middle and set to 'straight out the box' mode and thinks the picture is - in his words "awesome and amazing". It isn't and he's blissfully unaware - nor will I tell him and burst his bubble. Any issues and complaints here are only a minutely small proportion of their sales nationwide and internationally. For every unhappy owner here, I'd bet there are 10 happy ones :thumbsup:.

Of course they are QA'd before coming from the factory, irrespective of manufacturer.

I don't believe the 'ordinary' owner is even aware of the issues - unless they visit this site ;).

My brother-in-law has lived with a TV that is split right down the middle and set to 'straight out the box' mode and thinks the picture is - in his words "awesome and amazing". It isn't and he's blissfully unaware - nor will I tell him and burst his bubble. Any issues and complaints here are only a minutely small proportion of their sales nationwide and internationally. For every unhappy owner here, I'd bet there are 10 happy ones :thumbsup:.

Of course they are QA'd before coming from the factory, irrespective of manufacturer.
I guess your right but:facepalm:, also depends what tv your coming from... my mum and dad had an old LCD with screen burn and said it was ok until he bought a Panasonic st60... now , if he changed from that and something happened Im sure he would notice it.. Me on the other hand I've had Pioneers for ages and one reason it took so long before I got my ez952.. and am happy with it and sit only 6.5 feet from the screen in my den and if there was something on there I didn't like I would notice straight away...
As you mentioned alot of the people on here are a small proportion but, who do like high end sets and spend for them... I know things can happen so to send a set back once ... Ok.. but some people it's 2-3 times and when they work hard to pay (amount for a 2nd hand car) or more in some instances I don't think it's really fair and in those cases the manufacturer who ever it is should bend the rules a bit .:)

encaser

Hopes of better QC may get shattered as LG have a massive plant in China to be a major source of production.

The latest video from AVForums

LG SN11RG Dolby Atmos Soundbar, plus, XBOOM Go PN7 & PL7 Wireless Speaker Reviews
Top Bottom