My very first system

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Good_Life, May 9, 2004.

1. Good_Life

Good_Life

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all,

Decided it was about time my £50 Dixons special got chucked in the skip and I invested in some proper stereo equipment.
    So I've been listening around to some separates and was hoping you guys could help me (remember I'm new to all this, so go easy)

Currently I'm looking at;
    Arcam A80 amp,
    PMC DB1 speakers,
    NAD 542 cd player.

This package sounds great to me, but I can't help feeling a bit cheap that I'm spending nearly £1200 on the amp and speakers but only a little over £300 for the CD player.

Any suggestions at all would be great. Cheers:clap:

2. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If it sounds great to you then there's no reason not to buy it! Normally as a rule more should be spent on a source, but there's no reason why it shouldn't be able to keep up. Have you tried some other CD players with the same kit?

3. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Looks like a good combination to me. If it was me I would have got a 2nd hand amp to either save some money or get more bang for £.

Don't worry about ratios and such, if you like the sound, stick with it.

4. Good_Life

Good_Life

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Better sound for my money with another Amp? Got any suggestions?

I've tried the Arcam CD player in place of the NAD and hated it. Dunno why. I've also recently tried the Roksan Kandy MkIII but I was using a different set of speakers (the pillocks in the shop I last went to couldn't get it through their heads that the speakers they wanted me to buy weren't what I was after).
    So unfortunatly I've not been able to listen to this set up with the speakers I want. The speakers I want are in one shop and the separates I want to listen to are in another. AAARGGH!!

Anybody know of a way of getting round this problem? I don't want to go buying the speakers, put them with the other system and then realise it sounds crap.

5. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Meridian 551, Music Fidelity A3.2, Sugden 21a, rotel pre/power. There are lots of options.