1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Velodyne HGS10 is humming loudly. What's the matter?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Joel, Jul 1, 2003.

1. Joel

Joel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have recently bought a Velodyne HGS 10 and connected it to my Pioneer 2011 receiver. The sub is connected to a Voltex surge protection filer with a Supra LoRad cable. The wall outlet is grounded.

The sub cable is a Vivanco single line RCA from receiver LFE out which is lead to the low pass inputs L/R into the sub with a cable splitter.

Recently, I have noticed that the sub occasionally switches itself on, one time even when I was watching a mono bradcast on TV at a very low volume! The sub sound then escalates its humming to a very loud bass level, forcing me to run to it and disconnect the power when the walls start shaking. Every time I connect and disconnect the power cord, I can see a clear electrical flash at the end of the power cord.

Please, someone help me find out what is wrong with the sub. Do I have a faulty setting, or do I need to have it sent to a technician? Have I connected it in the wrong way or using the wrong cables? A sub as expensive as this should not act like this.

My sub settings are the following:

Low pass X-over: 80Hz
    Phase: 0 degrees
    Subsonic: 35 Hz
    Cross over: In
    Power: Auto

The receiver is set to Speakers large and crossover at 80Hz.
    I would very much appreciate any help the forum could offer me.

Kind regards,

Joel

2. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I had a loud humming from my Velodyne when it shared a wall double outlet. I changed the 4 way block used by the other kit and that cured it.

3. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    How frequently does it happen?

Have you tried leaving the sub swiched on but disconnected from the amp to see if it still happens? If it doesn't it might be the amp if it does then it's the sub.

Is there an on/off switch on the sub? Which end of the power cord flashes? If it's the end you pull out, the electric flash just means the sub is drawing power when you are disconnecting it. My digital TV box does the same.

As a complete guess the fact that the volume of the hum increases it sound like feedback, maybe something to do with the servo circuit.

Have you emailed Velodyne about the problem?

4. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joel,
    Has your local dealer in Sweden had a look?
    I'll put a few things down tomorrow and send you a PM/email with possible fixes.

5. Mogli

Mogli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Eric,

Not wanting to hijack this thread by any means.. but i am planning on purchasing a cht10 from you end of July. Do you have an authorised dealer here in cheese and clogs land? Was just thinking that if something goes wrong shipping it back to yourself could prove costly.

Cheers,

Mog

6. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not at all Mogli. Have you looked at the Velodyne website for a dealer in your area?

7. Joel

Joel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

Thanks for the replies. So far this has happened two or three times. I haven't had the sub disconnected from the amp to test if its the sub or the amp.

The electrical flashes are apparent in both ends, but the most on the sub.

Any more suggestions?

Joel

8. Mogli

Mogli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    I had a gander but there are no service centres, distributors or agents :eek:

Maybe you can PM me your thoughts?

Hus

9. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hus,
    Exactly where are you located? Did you mention Holland?

Nathan,
    I think the USA is where these problems arise. Europe is a small market for many American brands and the HGS range (now discontinued) was not sold everywhere in Europe and was quite exclusive.
    One of the reasons why Velodyne won't allow a power-buy on the new premier Digital Drive range is that they feel this succcessor to the HGS range should be even more exclusive. Mistake if you ask me. Discounting the DD range would raise a lot of interest.

Our Velodyne power-buys are held by the UK's only authorized on-line/mail order dealer.
    All official UK dealers for Velodyne are listed here.
    http://www.red-line.co.uk/html/contact.php

11. Mogli

Mogli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Eric,

Yep i am based in Holland in a town called Haarlem... its about 15 mins from Amsterdam. Ever ventured to these parts?

I definitely want one of those Subs just going to wait till maybe the 3rd week of July till i order.

If something was to go wrong (which i doubt personally) what would be the course of action?

Cheers,

Hus

12. Joel

Joel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, for one thing, the problem I have been subjected to, and the reason for me creating this thread, could happen to you. I am not sure what to do, so if anyone could help me, I would be ever so happy.

Joel

13. Mogli

Mogli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Not trying to dismiss your problem mate.... Your always likely to get one or two that develop issues and i am sorry to hear yours is one of those.

Just saying that i havent seen many people saying there experiencing issues. So in case something is wrong i would like to know what Eric's course of action would be?

Cheers,

Hus

14. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Joel,
    I'm very tied up at the moment.

I can't speak for your local dealer in Sweden but will try to help.

Firstly, you should never just pull off the IEC lead as obviously this has a live feed and will flash with any transformerless appliance including PC's etc. Always switch off and disconnect at the mains if you have to. To be honest, I'm surprised you've not blown the Subs internal fuse so far.

In order to try to discover the problem. You must try a proccess of elimination and see if the problem can be isolated.

First course of action is to check the subwoofer cable.
    I had a customer a few weeks ago who actually spiked his subwoofer lead with one of his speaker stands :eek:
    You know who you are you naughty boy :D

If the humming continues and the room shaking persists, disconnect the subwoofer cable.
    If it stops, look elsewhere for your problem. If it continues, take out the RCA from the LFE output and plug it into the front left or front right Pre Amp output of your 2011. Go into the 2011's set-up menu and set front speakers to Large. If the problem disappears and you have a fair amount of bass, you have a faulty LFE output. If the problem persists try the next step.
    Disconnect the RCA cable and run a pair of speaker cables from the front left and right 2011 speaker terminals directly to the high level terminals on the sub. Again, if you seem to be getting trouble free bass from the sub, look to the 2011 for the problem.

If the problem is still there, it could well be a detached accelerometer, this causes the sub to go beserk but is a simple fix. Your dealer should just unscrew the amp board and be able to see if this plug is detached and simply plug it back in. Sometimes these things work themselves loose during transportation. Finally, failing that, and very, very rare, it will probably be the amp board. Again, your local dealer in Sweden should be able to get this done for you.

15. Mogli

Mogli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Eric,

I just dropped you a PM let me know if you get it as i was having some problems with my profile :confused:

Cheers,

Hus

16. Joel

Joel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Eric,

Thank you very much for your help. I will go through your checklist and hope that the problem will disappear. I always think it is best to rule out any faulty user-settings before alerting my dealer.

Kind regards,

Joel

17. Joel

Joel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Uncle Eric,

I have checked the cable and there's nothing wrong there. I also did the acoustic calibration of the system all over again to make sure that my daughter hadn't messed with the controls - which it turned out she had.

After a few days the humming came back again just like before. This time, I switched the receiver off with the Standby/On button but the sub kept humming until I disconnected the power cord.

Would you say that this sheds any additional light over my problem?

Joel

18. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joel,
    It's very likely to be a dislodged accelerometer.
    Your local dealer in Sweden, needs to open up the amp board at the back and check if the small connector has come loose. This is rare but can sometimes happen during transport.

19. Joel

Joel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I will bring it back to the dealer.

Thank you so much for your help.

Regards,

Joel