My VCR just died

M

mrkjd

My 7 yr old trusty VCR just gave up the ghost. I only use it occasionally for the odd tape I have as I use a Pace Twin for new recordings.

There's lots of good advice on cutting edge plasmas etc in these forums but what would people reccomend as a VCR player for old tapes? I won't be recording with it - just want to max the quality of my old tapes on my plasma.

Panasonic or JVC are among the best - S-VHS is very cheap at the moment. If you want the best quality for recording, find a second hand D-VHS deck. They are better than all the rest, by a large margin, and you get 21 hours on a tape.
Regards

As has been said in a few other threads on this (and other) forums, to get the best quality playback of VHS tapes you should get a S-VHS VCR with TBC (time base correction). This feature only tends to be on S-VHS, and then only on the more expensive models :rolleyes: .

Mark.

Agree. I have two JVCs (both no longer available) with TBC and DNR (noise reduction). Both excellent at wrenching half-decent images from some pretty 'nasty' VHS recordings.

Thanks all for the replies.

This Time Based Correction feature - is that the same as 'intelligent timer' on some Panny models?

Klippie - does your JVC have this TBC?

I think I want this feature so I'd better get scouring the internet!

Originally posted by mrkjd
This Time Based Correction feature - is that the same as 'intelligent timer' on some Panny models?
I suspect not. That sounds like something to do with programming recordings (using the Timer).

Put simply, the signal off a VHS tape is inherently unstable and this can give rise to artefacts in the replay picture, especially for old/worn/streched tapes. TBC is a means of stabilising the signal off tape to minimise/remove these artefacts.

The best TBC is fitted to JVC models HR-S9500, HR-S9600 and HR-S9700. All of these are now discontined though you may still find the odd HR-S9700 in the shops. They are rather ugly so they didn't sell very well.

mrkjd,

TBC, sorry its not got that functon at £100 the vcr is quite a basic but very good machine.

Klippie.

Originally posted by mrkjd

Presumably you have your own reasons for posting this question again.........?? I wonder what they are.

just a spot of finger trouble ... I was working on a lot of windows at the time!

My Mitsubishi M1000 S-VHS machine has just died and I need a replacement. I now do all my editing digitally, but have a large stock of S-VHS footage that I still need to be able to play.

The M1000 allowed audio dubbing on the linear sound track and this to then be combined with the Sterio sound on playback. Does anyone know if the low price JVC machine mentioned in this thread allows combined playback of the two soundtracks?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom