My upgrade path

bcjames

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm new here, and interested in upgrading my system, but am unsure as to the best route I need to take. Also, I could find very little about my current speakers.

My current set up is a Marrantz PM4400, a Philips CD204 (oh yes!), running in to some Yamaha NS-90 speakers. I have recently bought a new TV, basic sony LCD, and would like to integrate my music and film systems.

I have been looking at an AV receiver, particularly the Sony STR-DA2400ESB, as a good starting point. To this, I would connect a new cd player, a PS3, my DAB radio, macbook, and the TV. This amp choice isn't set in stone but it seems to have the features I believe I need.

The point at which I am stuck is with speaker choice. I can find very, very little about my yamaha speakers on the net. From my experience with other Yamaha products, I'm assuming these aren't bad speakers, but would I benefit from an upgrade?

My plan is to get a surround-capable amp, and run it as a stereo set up with two front speakers, adding the further speakers later when the room is better sorted. I like the look of the Q-acoustics 2000 series speakers, they seem well priced and well specced. But I don't want to retire my Yamahas unnecessarily.

Im sure the items I have listed gives an idea of my budget. I could spend more if I need to, but don't want to go to mad as im told there are more important financial concerns :p. Infact, the whole system is more likely to be used more for music than films.

Hopefully someone can provide some info re my speakers, and thanks in advance.

James.

I use a AV amp and only run a 3.1 setup. Not too fussed with surround steering. Cant see why you cant add speakers when you like, if you do go for an AV amp, I'd get one with switchable rears, so you can biamp the fronts, a lot of people like doing this, also consider a pre-amp with pre-outs for the fronts. Given the amount of digital sources you intend to hook up you could do the AV amp or AV processor, or going down the DAC route and stereo amplifier. Couple of scenarios can work. I stumbled upon a great combo in my Dyn Cont 1.3 IIs and the Pioneer amp I use, sounds very acceptable in stereo terms (apologies to all the chaps I have argued with over the years saying it was not possible! you know who you are!)

Thanks for your reply.

I just found that the sony receiver has a tuner built in, so that negates my need to connect my DAB radio. That has only been done thus far as a point of convenience!

I shall look into bi-amping more. I must admit im quite new to anything beyond my simple stereo set up. I'm pretty sure going to an AV set up gives me more options for the future, so long as its okay with music too.

I'm off to google! Thanks again.

You can do better than your Yamaha speakers for around £500. See Q-Acoustics Q ACOUSTICS 2000 5.1 HOME CINEMA SPEAKER PACKAGE - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/5697 for details

I wouldn't bother with a new CD player, rather get a BluRay player like the new Cambridge model which will sound great & wipe the floor with your PS3 with films:

Cambridge Audio 650BD Silver | Blu-ray Player With MR DVD Playback | Richer Sounds

Can't see any problem with your Sony amp, it's a good machine. :)

You can do better than your Yamaha speakers for around £500. See Q-Acoustics Q ACOUSTICS 2000 5.1 HOME CINEMA SPEAKER PACKAGE - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/5697 for details

I wouldn't bother with a new CD player, rather get a BluRay player like the new Cambridge model which will sound great & wipe the floor with your PS3 with films:

Cambridge Audio 650BD Silver | Blu-ray Player With MR DVD Playback | Richer Sounds

Can't see any problem with your Sony amp, it's a good machine. :)

Not so sure many BD player can wipe the floor with a PS3?. Certainly not the ones I have seen in my system Nobber. By all means chase different audio aspects, like universal replay etc. But I think the PS3 he has is fine for BD/SD use.

It's my other half who is more into the films that I am, and thus far has been watching them just using the TV speakers so she's happy with any upgrade!

I was thinking the PS3 is good for the bluray, and obviously the games, then a new CD player would be good for my music listening. If I should use a BD player for both film and music I'd consider that route instead. I must say, thus far, the PS3 hasnt given any issues for films. Might be that I dont know what im missing, but it seems okay :p

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I only listen to Radio 1 anyway :p I was bought the DAB radio, a little Pure one, so it made sense to make use of it as my only radio tuner, given the rest of my system wasn't anything incredible.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Edit: Thats the price I'd seen it as, CJ :)

Well you want to run an optical cable out of the DAB unit to the amp and let the amps DAC convert to anlg. Should sound better than the Pure. Good man. Enjoy. Bit of a Sony ES fan myself!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom