My update jinxed Sky+ box is now perfect

C

Cynthia 7

I cannot believe that after weeks of failed recordings, no satellite signal being received on nearly every channel except BBC1, live pause, the wretched pin number, etc. my Sky+ box is working perfectly over the last four days. These problems occured about 70% of the time. Most of the time we watched terrestial tv and having had Sky+ for a few years we really missed it.

Even dual recording is there. Although we had occasional programmes recorded correctly, most programmes would not record during the night. This was on a few weeks old new Pace 3 box bought online, which worked perfectly before the update.

Has this happened to anyone else? Has Sky reverted some boxes to the previous update? In the meantime it has made me realise I cannot live without Sky+, it's so wonderful when it works!!!

Tempting fate here I know but my box has been working perfectly for the last 6 or 7 days, this is after having live pause/rewind problems due to the updated software.
As far as I am aware there has been no further update to the software on my box.

Hi Mr. Etome,

I thought I was in the minority in having all my problems resolved except for the pin number. Now I see that you also have a perfect Sky+ box once again. Very strange and puzzling. Some people have had no trouble at all except being miffed about the pin number.

We are the lucky ones although we'd better hold our breath and cross our fingers just in case!!!!!!!

if there hasnt been an update/rollback, then most likely it was Sky's own systems that had the problem with what they sent out encoded in their programs (ie the data that allows you to record but asks for pin etc).....

they obviously didnt wanna admit that....lol

glad u got ur services back tho, since owning Sky+ i must admit its quite useful.....lol....

Hi K.B.,

You are probably right regarding Sky's own systems. It's taken them a while to admit they messed up the software update too.

Thank you for being pleased for us; it's heavenly having everything working again now; at the moment I am watching Midsomer Murders on terrestial and recording Waking the Dead and Heimat on Sky+. Useful it definitely is. The only problem is finding time to watch it all, I'm practically stuck to this sofa!!!

I had the update a few weeks ago, since then have come downstairs a couple of times in the morning to find the box on channel 998, but no sign of any discernable change to menus. I'm guessing Sky have had a bash at fixing the problems but fortunately we never seemed to have any problems after the update so can't be sure.

Interesting to hear that Jules. I read before of a few people on this forum finding their channel on 998 in the mornings. It must be, as you say, that Sky is trying to find a "cure" for these problems.

I'm glad your box was unaffected, it was a miserable time trying to watch tv with all the problems. I can't think why a few of us are now without problems and others are still suffering. Let's enjoy it while we can!

Cynthia 7 said:
Interesting to hear that Jules. I read before of a few people on this forum finding their channel on 998 in the mornings. It must be, as you say, that Sky is trying to find a "cure" for these problems.

I'm glad your box was unaffected, it was a miserable time trying to watch tv with all the problems. I can't think why a few of us are now without problems and others are still suffering. Let's enjoy it while we can!

I still have the live pause problems but the failed record problem hasn't come back since I did the last power cycle a couple of weeks ago. A couple of times I've done a successful dual-recording which really caused problems a few weeks back.

Also, the seemingly random demands for PIN on non 15/18 recordings seem to have stopped. That might have been down to information sent with the broadcasts though ... I wouldn't be surprised if maybe a flag was set by default but until the new PIN system came in, nobody noticed.

Gav

Hi Gavan,

Good thing your failed recording problem was cured by the power cycle. I did this over and over without success although before the update it was a pretty good way of curing any blips.

The more I read from other members of this forum the more I'm perplexed by this software update. You mention you had random demands for PIN on non 15/18 recordings. I hadn't known that had happened, what a pain that must have been. I was annoyed that I had to put it in for a 15 rated film. Fortunately, my live pause problem only lasted for a short time. My troubles were failed recordings and no satellite signal on most of the programmes including Sports (my husband was going mad!). Your last sentence puts a new slant on things, food for thought there. We will probably never get to the truth of it. I dread Sky putting out another update now my box is perfect, unless it's to get an option on the PIN input. I hope your Sky+ stays in good shape too!

had major probs with live pause only after the update. ive left the box connected to mains and phone line for a week and its now workin fine.

mine is working ok now after having the live pause/rewind prob,(pace v2)
also had a prob last week if the box was doing a double recording the live picture would freeze while watching the either of the channels being recorded,plus if watching a channel and a double record started i didnt get the banner saying if you want to continue watching whatever channel you need to cancel this recording, pic just froze
doing a power cycle didnt work only thing that would work was to cancel one of the recordings, after putting up with this for one night i tried a planner rebuild this seemed to cure it not got a clue why though.
One week on and sky+ is working fine

Hi Tim,

It sounds like you are one of the lucky ones too. I'm not sure if you meant you disconnected the box for a week or just not used it whilst connected. Whatever it was its worked fine for you! I'm happy for you, that live pause was maddening.

Hi polecat,

It sounds like you had the same problem as I did over dual recording, I never had the banner about cancelling this recording either and had the picture frozen, you could hear my screams the other side of the town probably! Now dual recording is working without a hitch.

I wanted to do a planner rebuild and was working my way through some precious recorded programmes when it suddenly, magically, started working perfectly. As you found, it may be that planner rebuild could cure the majority of the software update problems. Glad it worked for you.

Ok, seems like I spoke too soon, after 2 weeks of the box not missing a beat, the live pause/rewind problem is back. :thumbsdow :( :nono: :mad:

Hi Mr. Etome,

Sorry to hear the pause/rewind problem is back. We shouldn't have mentioned our boxes were working perfectly as mine too has not been recording sometimes in the last few days. It didn't make sense. I had so many failures. Some said power cut even though we were in the room and there was no power cut. Today, amazingly it's working fine, pause, rewind and dual recordings.

Well, I'm glad and curious to read that some people's boxes are now working again, but after weeks of working fine, mine is getting worse (Pace 3) - I've gone from failed recordings (with and without that bizarre power cut error), to now the box won't even record - I set a programme to record, the 'R' symbol is there, but the programme comes and goes with no recording happening, even though the 'R' remains in place next to the programme entry on the banner.

Pressing record as usual whilst a programme is running, to record that, likewise does nothing, no recording light, nothing.

Julian.

Hi Julian,

I've just seen your message. I experienced the same things. Some programmes appear to have been recorded but later show as failed on the planner. Then programmes listed on the planner with the R symbol just stay there and don't record.

Yes, pressing record whilst a programme is running doesn't work either. My box appears to be behaving at the moment, I hardly dare speak of it! I hope yours soon recovers too.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom